Author Topic: Tonight's Pie  (Read 65476 times)

Offline SnuffGear

• SnuffGear.com
Re: Tonight's Pie
« Reply #220 on: July 07, 2012, 06:42:07 PM »
Thanks GB. I'm a rookie. Just made my 5th pie, this my first with your recipe. The KA bag doesn't say anything other than 'High Gluten'. 14.+% protein.

I'm still learning how to form the dough so my pies are not very round!  ;D

Tonights dough was 6.5 days in the fridge and it seemed to work better than any of my previous tries.  The taste is excellent, but the crust seems to be a little too, for lack of a better description, 'stiff'. Actually, I think the cornicione was about perfect. From there inward was the stiff part. I'm trying not to overwork it when making the pie.

Thanks for what appears to be an excellent dough recipe.

Tom

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #221 on: July 08, 2012, 02:59:27 AM »
I'm still learning how to form the dough so my pies are not very round!

Just call them "artisan" and you can charge a couple bucks more for em... :-D

Offline Steve E

« Reply #222 on: July 08, 2012, 08:57:53 AM »
[quote

Steve - When you did your 1.5-hour counter rise, did the dough relax and rise a bit?  Was it covered to avoid any drying?

I just ask to eliminate possible causes that can be easily fixed.

- GB
[/quote]

It did rise just a little bit, not much. I had it covered the entire time while on the bench. When it came out of the fridge I dusted the bench with flour dumped the dough on the bench and covered it. I have not been on the pizza forum for long but have been baking for quite a few years, mostly breads though. I have a batch in the fridge now with a 65% hydration and will give it a try later this week. It was much wetter coming out of the mixer that the 61% I tried earlier. My previous doughs have been Lehmann's, I have tried various hydrations from 60% up to 65% and settled on 61% which most of us who ate it felt that was the best one. When I saw the GB's formula I started at 61% because that's all I knew. I will keep trying. I seem to learn something from every batch and even the failures taste great so nothing lost.

Steve
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:40:25 AM by Steve E »

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #223 on: July 08, 2012, 01:56:31 PM »
Just call them "artisan" and you can charge a couple bucks more for em... :-D

Amen to that! Everything's "artisan" these days... even Dunkin Donuts bagels and Subway sandwiches (to say nothing of Dominos pseudo-pizza). Blah!

SnuffGear: I know how you feel. Right now, because I'm working with a 12x20 pice of kiln shelf, I'm doing oval pies... on purpose (that's my story and I'm sticking to it ;D), but those pies are getting much more consistent in shape. When I finally get a 16x16 steel plate (thanks to Scott123's work), I'll lose that excuse. Practice, practice, practice!

Barry
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 02:00:10 PM by bfguilford »
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline SnuffGear

• SnuffGear.com
« Reply #224 on: July 09, 2012, 01:24:16 PM »
I'd settle for oval!  ;D

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #225 on: July 09, 2012, 01:51:34 PM »
I'd settle for oval!  ;D

What... and give up heart-shaped?!? Do you know how long it would take for me to learn how to do that?!?  ;D
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline wirebender

« Reply #226 on: January 31, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »
OK, Time to resurrect this thread--  :)

I'm going to mix up a batch of this this weekend using IDY, will cold ferment until the following weekend (seven days). I'd like to make a second batch using my Tartine starter, which is fed twice a day, so very active. Any thoughts on how much starter to use for a seven day cold ferment? Also will be using Wheat Montana AP flour from WalMart, works very well in the Tartine bread.

Actually, the above question is a bit vague, I realize...I guess I'm asking for a ratio of IDY to starter in general, as I haven't given, or decided on, the number/size of pizzas to make.

Thanks, Bob
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:32:21 PM by wirebender »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #227 on: May 31, 2013, 08:27:01 PM »
I used the formula in reply 5 of this thread tonight.  Baked on my baking steel  - pics can be found here  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7761.msg66669.html#msg66669

Offline brandonb

« Reply #228 on: July 09, 2013, 10:04:52 PM »
Following this thread and am planning to move on from Neapolitan pizza to NY pizza. I have some All Trumps flour coming in this week. I'd love to do the GB recipe this weekend, but will only have a couple days for a cold rise in the fridge. Has anyone adjusted the recipe by adding a bit more yeast for a shorter fermentation time? I read around and really only found 5 days was the shortest.

Thanks!

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #229 on: July 10, 2013, 12:13:24 AM »
Following this thread and am planning to move on from Neapolitan pizza to NY pizza. I have some All Trumps flour coming in this week. I'd love to do the GB recipe this weekend, but will only have a couple days for a cold rise in the fridge. Has anyone adjusted the recipe by adding a bit more yeast for a shorter fermentation time? I read around and really only found 5 days was the shortest.

Thanks!

You know he is already using quite a bit of yeast in the recipe. I don't think you need to change amount. I would just let it bulk on the counter for a couple hours before balling and going to the fridge. Then pull it out of the fridge around 3 hours before ready to use.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #230 on: July 10, 2013, 07:28:57 AM »

Thanks!

I have used the recipe at reply 5 of this thread at 2 and 3 days,  3 was better but 2 was good.  I did not add any extra yeast.   

here are the 3 day  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22826.msg257097.html#msg257097

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #231 on: July 10, 2013, 02:33:13 PM »
As long as you allow a long bulk counter rise (a couple of hours or so) before balling and refrigerating, you should be fine with 2 days.  The flavor won't be as good as a longer refrigeration would allow, but you shouldn't have a problem with stretching or oven spring.

- GB
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline brandonb

« Reply #232 on: July 10, 2013, 05:00:11 PM »
I have used the recipe at reply 5 of this thread at 2 and 3 days,  3 was better but 2 was good.  I did not add any extra yeast.   

here are the 3 day  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22826.msg257097.html#msg257097

Thanks, Deb! Did you use this IDY amount ( .282895%) from reply #5 or the lower one that was adjusted later in the thread? (0.19% I believe)

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #233 on: July 10, 2013, 07:15:53 PM »
You know he is already using quite a bit of yeast in the recipe. I don't think you need to change amount. I would just let it bulk on the counter for a couple hours before balling and going to the fridge. Then pull it out of the fridge around 3 hours before ready to use.
Jeff, I'm curious, what does the bulk for a couple of hours do for your dough. I just make my dough, perhaps let it sit at room temp for a half hour, and then it goes right in the fridge. That always works for me, I don't want my dough to start fermenting, and a couple of hours at room temp would most assuredly do that?

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #234 on: July 10, 2013, 07:20:31 PM »
Jeff, I'm curious, what does the bulk for a couple of hours do for your dough. I just make my dough, perhaps let it sit at room temp for a half hour, and then it goes right in the fridge. That always works for me, I don't want my dough to start fermenting, and a couple of hours at room temp would most assuredly do that?

I leave it out for the exact reason you say you don't. I let the fermentation start. If i was going to leave it in the fridge for 5 days I probably wouldn't. My reply was saying the same thing as GB's reply. It just helps with the timing is all. Because if you go straight to the fridge for a day or two and then pull it out 2 hours before it's time to use it, it might not be proofed enough.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #235 on: July 11, 2013, 06:18:31 AM »
Two different paths to the same destination I guess, I usually like to let my dough ferment for 3-5 days, therefore there is no need for a bulk. For a day or two I guess I could see it, but I really don't think you get much out of a one or two day cold ferment.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #236 on: July 11, 2013, 06:32:00 AM »
Thanks, Deb! Did you use this IDY amount ( .282895%) from reply #5 or the lower one that was adjusted later in the thread? (0.19% I believe)

I used the amount from reply 5

Offline gotdough

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #237 on: November 04, 2013, 08:18:17 PM »
Making a batch for the first time…looking forward to having some great pizza in a few days. #rookiepizzamaker

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #238 on: December 04, 2013, 03:23:36 PM »
These look absolutely incredible.  I'm trying my hand at it tonight.

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #239 on: December 05, 2013, 04:56:57 PM »
Man, you guys weren't kidding.  This is some of the easiest handling dough I've ever used. 

Bye, bye little dough balls.  See you in a week.   ;D