Author Topic: Tonight's Pie  (Read 68570 times)

Offline MWTC

Re: Tonight's Pie
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2009, 04:01:29 PM »
Thank-you.   ;D

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2009, 04:12:32 PM »
Oh, and next time I'll remember to include an upskirt...  >:D
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline MWTC

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2009, 02:26:24 AM »
This was last nights pizza.

I cooked the pizza on the 2stone with the 600 degrees air temperature goal. I figured that if I could get the stone to 400 degrees the air temp would be around 600 degrees. Check out the picture....Its appears its going to take some trial and error to get this right. I took a little to long prepairing the pizza. Which wasn't that long, ten minutes. When it was ready, the stone was at 475 degrees. I figured, try anyway. Well, you can see that the leoparding is a little to dark. But the bottom was perfect. So I will need to experiment with turning down the flame at the time of the bake to get the desired color. The same color that you achieve, is appearing, so it will just take time to master the bake. Can you see the right color appearing? It is amazing what higher heat does to the quality of a pizza!!!

This pizza was the EVOO oiling. I could see a slight fried effect. This all needs more experimentation.

Offline MWTC

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2009, 01:41:39 AM »
Here is the next experiment with the 2stone.

I baked this one at 475 degree stone temperature with a 10 minute warm up. When I place the pie into the oven I turned down the propane by 50%. It baked quite quickly. I think that the next experiment I should turn down the propane another 25%. Maybe slowing down the bake will allow the golden color to appear. It might not be possible with the 2stone.

Glutenboy, would you take a picture of the oven that you are using. It would be interesting to see the oven that is producing that excellent pie.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2009, 05:12:13 PM »
MWTC -

Those pizzas look terrific.  Are you baking in a pan or on a stone?  You mentioned that the oil you used provided a frying effect.  If so, we're working differently.  By the time I take the dough from the container, the oil really is doing nothing more than preventing sticking.  By the time I flour and stretch it, It's not detectable on the surface in any way.  If it's giving you a sizzle, then you're doing your own thing completely... which by the way is great because your pies look delicious.  I'll try to snap a pic of the oven later today and post it.  It's an old oven.  I live in an apartment in Los Angeles, and the oven looks to be from a bygone era.  You'll see.

- GB

PS - I just looked at your post more carefully and saw that you're using a 2 stone.  I must assume then that there's no pan involved.  Please elaborate.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 05:14:22 PM by Glutenboy »

Offline MWTC

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2009, 12:37:46 AM »
It sure is a work in progress.

As you can see from the photo that the reduction in oven temperature eliminated the leoparding. The browing that you are achieving is coming forth. But, with the color another element arrived. The lower temperature produced less tenderness, it was a little tougher than the last bake at 50% full propane. This one was about 25% propane. I think it might need a little oil and/or sugar to bring back the tenderness. Futher experimentation will reveal that.

Yes, these are baked on the stone alone. No pan or screen is being used.

This last pizza was just as you describe in your protocol.

The fried effect was on the first one that was slightly over cooked. What I did, which as you stated was completely different than what you are doing. I oiled the aged dough right out of the refrigerator and then allowed the 2 hour counter rise. Different elements to play with. I thought the oil was bringing forth the golden browning but now I realize it is your protocol and your oven/temperature. It sure would be nice to know the exact temperature of your oven bake.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 10:43:37 AM by MWTC »

Offline MWTC

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2009, 11:14:29 PM »
Glutenboy,

Would you do me a solid?

How about trying my dough in your oven.

I think it would be very interesting to see your results.

My Favorite Dough Recipe:

100% All Trumps
65% Water @ 68 degrees
1/2% IDY
2% Salt
2% Sugar
2% EVOO

Mix 2 min., 20 Min. Riposo,  5 Min. Knead

Ball it up, then into the Refrigerator.

48 Hour Minimum Cold Fermentation

Counter rise at least 1-1/2 hour. (I just made a pizza allowing it to rise in the baking pan for 4 hours and it was one of the best dough I have ever made.)

Thats it!!!

The above mentioned 4 hour counter rise pizza used a 14 day old dough from this recipe and it was Fantastic.

I would appreciate it if you would give this a try. I am extremely interested to see the results baked in your oven.

MWTC  :chef:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 10:47:30 AM by MWTC »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2009, 11:21:36 PM »
MWTC,

It might help Glutenboy to know the size of the pizza and how much dough is used to make that size pizza. Or, alternatively, a thickness factor.

Peter

Offline MWTC

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2009, 10:39:14 AM »
Peter,

I would rather Glutenboy just do it his way with My recipe and protocol.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2009, 10:47:03 AM »
MWTC,

That's fine but he may not know how much dough to make and how much dough to use to make a pizza. He could end up with a different skin thickness and a different result. But I will leave that up to you guys.

Peter

Offline MWTC

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2009, 10:55:58 AM »
What I am looking for is for him to match this pizza with My dough. He will know how much dough to make and how much to use on this pizza. I want to see the effect of his oven on my dough as compared to this pizza.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2009, 01:02:08 AM »
Sorry,  MWTC.  I've been preoccupied.  I will get on that yummy project and post a pic of my oven ASAP.  As for the temp of my oven, I am, unfortunately, ill-equipped to get you a reading.  More soon.

PS -  Did you say 14 DAYS?!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 01:03:56 AM by Glutenboy »

Offline MWTC

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2009, 12:22:33 PM »
Yes, 14 days. And it was still fantastic. At the 16 day point I saw the first spotting. I don't need the dough to last that long but is sure is nice.

Try the recipe and tell me what you experience.

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2009, 01:48:42 PM »
This is a fantastic thread that I will be referring to often!

Glutenboy, your pizzas have me drooling.  Guess I should opted to actually eat lunch instead of reading!
Would you please be so kind as to post the info for your Detroit area source for the All Trumps?  I too am not too far and just have to give your recipe a go.
Thanks!
Hog

Offline MWTC

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2009, 02:24:29 PM »
The Detroit source for All Trumps is:

Miceli & OldField
12250 Delta Drive
Taylor, MI
734-946-4500
9am-3pm Cash and Carry

I think they sell it in 25 and 50 lb bags. Ask for the Green if you want the Un-Bleached, Non-bromated.

I don't think Glutenboy knows where this is since he lives in L.A.

MWTC  :chef:

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2009, 08:24:11 PM »
Oh, sorry about that MW.  Guess I was reading too fast on lunch break..
Just picked up an infra red thermometer from Harbor Freight in Clinton Township for $39 in the event you are looking for one, and having fun taking temps on everything in the house.  I just tried to take the cat's temp and found the best kitty toy yet - she goes bonkers chasing the laser!
Found out my new stone hits 630-640 on the oven floor too, which is even better news.
Thanks for the info!
Hog

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2009, 08:52:18 PM »
Glad you like the Harbor freight IR thermo http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7900.0.html I found em by me too some sy be leary Glad yous is working well 640 is great what kind of stone?
Thanks
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2009, 09:21:10 PM »
Not sure of brand as it is not new but never used, but sounds like the one Pete-zza has described as rectangular with feet on the bottom.  Hope to try some version of this on it soon.

Offline Jaysus

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2009, 01:17:41 PM »
I love this thread!

Offline MWTC

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2009, 11:14:38 PM »
Check out last nights BLT Pizza.

The first photo was the Cheese and Bacon baked and the second photo was with the Mayonnaise, Lettuce and Tomato added.

This was the 2% Dough at 11 days old.