Author Topic: hi, how much dough to make for 2 8inch pizzas?  (Read 7507 times)

Offline koloa101

Re: hi, how much dough to make for 2 8inch pizzas?
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2009, 09:01:36 PM »
peter,
thanks for the info! today i cooked both versions of the lehman pie, one with sugar and oil and the other without. clearly the one with the sugar and oil was much better. pie 1(sugar and oil) i started at the bottom of the 550 degree oven and then finished on the top broiler for maybe 30 seconds. i finally got some brown, thanks for that tip!...i will post pics as soon as i upload them! i only did 36 hr rise because i wont be home monday and tuesday. ive read it but now i know/taste/see the difference of the longer dough fermentation = softer, chewier, bubblier, sweeter crust.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2009, 09:28:57 AM »
koloa101,

For clarification purposes, I'd like to point out that whenever I shift a pizza from a lower oven rack position to the uppermost oven rack position in my oven, I do not turn on the broiler. That is an option that I have used before successfully to get better top crust browning for Neapolitan-style doughs using low protein flours, like 00 flours, or for doughs that appear to have low residual sugar, but for just about all other types of doughs, including the NY style, I have found that I don't really need the broiler. There is already enough heat at the top of the oven to produce the desired degree of top crust browning. These days, I reserve the broiler for those stubborn cases where it is hard to get good top crust coloration any other way, or to cook toppings more quickly and completely, or to dry out high-moisture toppings, etc. In your case, you might play around with both approaches and see which you like better.

Peter

Offline koloa101

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2009, 12:28:40 PM »
latest creations: undercooked the veggie, overcooked the sausage/shrimp, made them a little too thick. these are 3 day cold fermented. i have 3 doughs growing for sunday night dinner! fun fun fun.

*how do i prep raw broccoli? this one i steamed it but it carried too much water content. do i put on raw?

do shops sprinkle Parmesan before or after baking?

Offline koloa101

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2009, 09:08:48 PM »
my progress thus far...

first few pics are of 57% hydration with KABF. Last pic is with 63% hydration KABF. The 63% was more elastic and had lighter crust. i preferred the 63%. I used grande and stella cheese. as of now, they are my favorite mozzarella. I am still on a journey to find a really good pizza sauce. I have a marinara recipe that i found on allrecipes which has been my favorite. i think i will use that next time. This forum kicks major a**!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2009, 09:17:54 PM »
koloa101,

Looking better each time. I see that you got the rims smaller this time too.

I think you meant to say "extensible" rather than "elastic". Elastic means that the dough has memory and springs back after stretching it out, much like a rubber band. An extensible dough does not spring back.

Peter

pizzapan