Author Topic: Whoops - forgot the oil!  (Read 989 times)

Offline arceeguy

Whoops - forgot the oil!
« on: January 24, 2009, 07:56:50 PM »
First - let me thank all of you and this forum for giving me the tools to make a decent homemade NY style pizza!

I am using the Lehman dough formula, and I made a couple of 1 lb. dough balls for two 14" pies this afternoon. I just realized that I failed to add the 6 or so grams of oil to the dough when it was kneading in the KA. Should I scrap the dough, or use it? Can I toss the dough back in the mixer and add the oil now? I don't want to just toss the dough in the trash as this would be a waste of food. Breadsticks maybe?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

arcee

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Whoops - forgot the oil!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 08:06:24 PM »
arcee,

You can proceed without the oil. The crust will be more like the "elite" NY style that uses no oil or sugar. If the dough has pretty much been made, I don't think I would add the oil and mix it in. Instead, you can coat the dough balls liberally with oil and some of that oil will eventually make its way into the dough and also at the time of forming skins. You could make breadsticks out of the dough but there is no need to do that. You definitely should not throw the dough away. It will be OK.

Peter

Offline arceeguy

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 09:09:59 PM »
Hi Pete - thanks for the quick response! I noticed that you are a pizza making legend here at pizzamaking.com!

I have the dough balls "well oiled" fermenting in stainless steel bowls. I plan on making pizza on Monday or Tuesday next week. I wasn't sure whether the omission of the oil would result in a unpalatable mess. I notice that oil is "optional" in the dough calculator, but didn't know if it was "highly recommended". :)

Thanks again!

arcee

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 09:18:10 PM »
I notice that oil is "optional" in the dough calculator, but didn't know if it was "highly recommended". :)

arcee,

Oil in the dough is pretty much a matter of personal preference. The basic Lehmann dough recipe calls for only 1%, which is not a lot. There are quite a few members who use no oil in their NY style doughs, and there are quite a few who like to use more than 1%. With some experimentation, you will eventually decide whether you like the oil or not or how much to use if you decide you like it.

Peter

pizzapan