Author Topic: Attempt 1 at Sicilian Style  (Read 2965 times)

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
Attempt 1 at Sicilian Style
« on: January 25, 2009, 08:43:27 PM »
Here's my first attempt at a Sicilian.  Turned out pretty good.  I basically used Jeff V's recipe and converted to "cups" and "tsp" type measurements since I didn't own a scale at the time with a few variations.  I have subsequencly purchased a scale so I can try recipes the "correct" way.  The dough really rose thick when cooked.  Sat in fridge for 2 days.  I didn't quite get that crispyness that you can see in Jeff V's pic along the edge though.  I used a spray for the pan instead of olive oil.  Maybe that was the problem.  Anyway, here it is. 
"You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - John Wooden

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Attempt 1 at Sicilian Style
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:01:25 PM »
Love It !!
Really Thick
I am not sure the proper thickness on this style my p hut pan came out really thick as well
I am going to try to take it down a notch next effort 1 1/2  +- inch max after rise.
Keep up the good work
john
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 09:20:35 PM »
Excellent! 
I hope my first try tomorrow looks as good.  I noticed in some of Jeff V's photos it looked like some cheese browned over the edge.  That is common on Detroit style and gets crunchy. 
Now I'm hungry!
Hog

Offline Matthew

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 07:11:01 AM »
PC,

Good job, my nonna would be proud.  My grandmother still makes it just like she did 60 years ago in Sicily. It's almost like focaccia, she tops it with fresh cherry tomatoes, a little freshly grated parmiggiano, olive oil & oregano.  The best!!!

Matt

Online jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 04:19:44 PM »
Nice one PC7.

Thickness is a personal preference I suppose, and I like mine a little thinner than you made yours. I think the olive oil will give you that crispness you referred to as well. Did you use a 12x17 pan? Was this the recipe w/ semolina, or the grandma style? I need to make one of these again.

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 04:45:43 PM »
Jeff,
      This was off of your "Tale of 2 Sicilians" with KAAP Flour.  Can't find any Semolina around these parts.  Gonna have to order some stuff off the net I guess.
"You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - John Wooden

Online jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 05:15:46 PM »
The semolina definately gives some more crunch and a different texture. I like them both.

Good Luck,

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline pizzzzza

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 05:08:26 PM »
This looks amazing and exactly like the crust I have been looking for!!

As i am new to the pizza making art....woul dit be possible for you to provide me with the recipe for this dough in normal measurements (cups, tbps, etc..) as you mentioned how you originally made this pizza as pictured?

I would definitely be in your debt!  thanks!!

Offline Corbs

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 09:27:29 AM »
Here's my first attempt at a Sicilian.  Turned out pretty good.  I basically used Jeff V's recipe and converted to "cups" and "tsp" type measurements since I didn't own a scale at the time with a few variations.  I have subsequencly purchased a scale so I can try recipes the "correct" way.  The dough really rose thick when cooked.  Sat in fridge for 2 days.  I didn't quite get that crispyness that you can see in Jeff V's pic along the edge though.  I used a spray for the pan instead of olive oil.  Maybe that was the problem.  Anyway, here it is. 
What kind of oven were you using?

pizzapan