Author Topic: Dough Doctors cracker...No fail!  (Read 63589 times)

Online jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
Re: Dough Doctors cracker...No fail!
« Reply #250 on: August 16, 2016, 08:12:48 PM »
  It's about time.....Maybe I should walk that back a little to it's almost about time after 5 years of experimenting. The crust was almost perfect. It was very crispy, and had a nice light chew. The bite was more tender, and was what I have been looking for. It was like a saltine but it had more body. The added garlic powder added a lot of flavor, and made the kitchen smell great...almost like a pizza parlor. The only problem, I did not roll it out quite thin enough....Easy fix. It's been a long and frustrating journey. I felt like giving up at times. But, I kept researching, experimenting, and have almost reached cracker nirvana. My next attempt may be the one, I just have to keep the eye on the thickness. This attempt reminded me of a Shakey's/ Ken's crust.

This has to be one of my best flavor profiles I have made. I used Cento crushed tomatoes doctored with sugar, salt, pepper, and some basil. I let it meld in the fridge over night. The Corando Tosano Italian sausage was great. It had the right amount of fennel and anise. The Best Choice mozzarella melted nicely and had a very good flavor. Thanks Pete for the advice about Best Choice mozz. My taster does not like pizza, and could live without ever eating another slice. This time he wolfed down two slices. Maybe he will be a convert yet.

As for the cook. I left the dough ball covered on the counter for three hours before rolling out. I put the skin in the cutter pan and placed it on the stone at a oven temp of 550 degrees. After two and a half minutes I removed the skin and put it on a cooling rack for ten minutes. I then dressed the pie which took about five minutes. I let the ingredients sit on the counter for an hour to warm up before toping the pie. My thought is it would promote a quicker cook. I was going to finish it off in a four hundred and seventy five degree oven. After some consideration, I decided against it. It would lengthen the cooking time, which might decrease the tenderness. It went with five hundred and fifty degrees, with a cook time of six minutes. Total cook time was eight and a half minutes. I usually cook my crackers for ten minutes or a little longer. Will try this recipe again, with no changes. Hopefully rolling the crust out thinner will be the ticket. I did not know what to expect this time, but it was better than I was expecting, I am very happy with the results. First time in all these attempts that I am not thinking how I can improve the recipe. I'm kinda happy... and kind of sad. Have I finally reached my goal of a Pizza Hut original cracker crust from the 60's?  I will find out next time. If not, I am pretty happy just to make this version from now on. :chef:

Awesome Nick!  11% oil?  Looks great!
Jeff

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #251 on: August 16, 2016, 08:28:39 PM »
Jeff,

High fat content for a cracker style dough throws off a lot of people. But if you look at Tom Lehmann's cracker style pizza at the PMQ Recipe bank, you will see a lot of total fat:

http://www.pmq.com/Recipe-Bank/Chicago-Cracker-Style-Pizza-Dough

If you take into account that the butter in the above recipe contains about 16-18% water (depending on whether it is salted or unsalted), you will be pretty close to 11% total fat.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #252 on: August 18, 2016, 11:17:37 PM »
Way to go Nick!  That looks like an amazing pizza!! :drool:

Norma

Offline clarkth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #253 on: August 19, 2016, 08:05:40 AM »
  Back on the quest again. Pretty much the same recipe as the last pie. I cut the sugar in half from 1 teaspoon to 1/2 teaspoon. I replaced the 1/2 teaspoon with garlic powder. If I remember correctly, garlic powder can make the crust a little softer. I left out the DMP also.  I really like my KA food processor for making cracker crusts, it's a breeze and easy cleanup. Will be taking the crust out of the fridge on Tuesday, about 48 hours from now.

KAAP 373 grams
water 157 grams
IDY     .35 tsp
salt    1 tsp
sugar 1/2 tsp
Gaarlic powder 1/2 teaspoon
corn oil 3 TBL

As for the cooking, I'll par bake the crust at 550 degrees for around 3 minutes. After letting the crust cool for a few minutes, I will top the skin and put it back in the oven at 475 degrees till the top is done, about 7 minutes or so. Maybe with the ingredient changes, cooking changes, shorter cooking times, and having the toppings sit out on the counter for a bit, I will end up with a lighter crust color and a softer bite.

I ran across Corando Tosano style mild Italian sausage, don't know if it is any good. My grocer is carrying Best Choice food's brand again. Pete said I should try their mozzarella  cheese, he gave it a thumbs up. I will post results and pics Tuesday. Fingers crossed!

Nick,

This looks great!  I haven't made a cracker in a while but looking at the pictures is making my mouth water  ;D

Do you have the baker's % for the above recipe?  I make a larger skin than you do and want to scale it up a bit. 

Thomas 

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #254 on: August 19, 2016, 12:57:30 PM »
Thanks guys and gals! It's taken a long time to get to this point. The pie was really good. Next try I will roll it out thinner, and hope it will be the one.

Thomas this is pretty close to the to my last pie. I used half the sugar this time. It should get you in the ballpark though.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #255 on: August 19, 2016, 01:09:49 PM »
One note.... I reheat my pies in a skillet, and they turn out very good. But for this style, not so much. The crust did not crisp up, it stayed soft. That being said, I still scarfed down the leftovers.   

Offline clarkth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #256 on: August 19, 2016, 09:03:14 PM »
Thanks guys and gals! It's taken a long time to get to this point. The pie was really good. Next try I will roll it out thinner, and hope it will be the one.

Thomas this is pretty close to the to my last pie. I used half the sugar this time. It should get you in the ballpark though.

Thanks Nick.  I'll give this a try soon!

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #257 on: August 19, 2016, 10:53:20 PM »
  Clark, when you make it let me know what you think, pics would be cool. It may be not the style you are looking for. If you go through this thread, I have made several styles of a crackers. So, if this is not what you are looking for, one of my attempts may be the one for you. I have gone from a really crispy with no chew to a really crispy crust with a nice soft chew and every where in between. This was the style I was looking for, but it may not be what you are seeking in a cracker style. Still, my latest attempt is pretty good. There are also some great threads from our amazing members on cracker crusts. I learned a lot from them. Thanks everyone!!! It's all about sharing our results, so we can all benefit in our desire to make a great pie and share it with our friends. The love of food transcends all cultures. Food defines us as a species.  Oops! Showing my weakness for great eats, just like the majority of the members here!  :-D

wordpress