Author Topic: My first laminated crust using a bastardized Fazzari dough  (Read 1382 times)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Re: My first laminated crust using a bastardized Fazzari dough
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 07:48:32 PM »
I keep reading about thin crusts and wonder why they have to be so dry?  So I made a new dough with higher hydration of roughly 65% but I  will laminate it the same way,  just probably need to be prepared to add more flour during lamination.  I feel like it will make the crust shatter even more...but we shall see.  Here is the formula.

Nice job on your experiments!!...Looks to me like you're having a ball.  I'm going to try and answer your question regarding cracker crusts being so dry.  I think that cracker crusts have such low hydration rates (from my experience anyway), because the finished dough becomes a platform for a pretty heavily dressed pizza.  The lower hydration probably provides more stability than a higher hydration crust.  Having said that, back in 2007 I tried an experiment at home, making a laminated cracker crust with a higher hydration dough.  Here are the results I got:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=5889.0

I didn't use any oil or flour between layers, this was just an experiment to see if I could get the same textured skin...and I did.  By the way, here is a picture of what a typical cracker crust pizza looks like topped. 
Keep experimenting....looks like fun!!!

John

Online texmex

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 08:21:02 PM »
John,
Thanks for chiming in.  There's the answer to ponzu's question!  Sort of.  I'm surprised I didn't find the high hydration experiment you did. I read several experiments but then lamination jumped out at me and I just had to try it on the dough I had at the time...and here I am because it worked so well.

Yes, I am enjoying the process tremendously, and enjoying the pizzas even more. 

I've been looking at Chicago thins but haven't really noticed how the formulas flow yet, but maybe I see another Fazzari attempt coming up soon instead.  That simple HD dough of yours just seems so simple a process  why didn't I think of it?   :-D 

Reesa

Online texmex

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2016, 10:31:04 AM »
Yesterday I did my final S/F's then scaled and balled the dough. I had 4 doughballs of 260 g for regular pizza and 4 more at roughly 75g for lamination. This morn I was in the middle of laminating the first ball when I realized that it is very easy to hand stretch cold HD dough, so I set the rolling pin aside and just stretched out the ball as far as I could without tearing and spread some bacon fat on one half sprinkled with flour, folded, stretched a little more, repeat, repeat.  I am not going to roll these thin because the dough just fights me, and it takes forever. I alternated working the 4 litle doughballs until i had  about 10 folds in each one and then I stuck each  into a baggie and back into the fridge.  Later I will attempt to merely stretch the dough out to pizza size rather than fight it with the rolling pin.  I think I  am onto something!
Reesa

Online texmex

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2016, 07:16:26 PM »
So, my experiment to forego the rolling pin worked beautifully.   

I used bench flour to keep the dough from sticking and merely tugged and lifted the cold dough, stretching and coaxing it into a thin skin, much like any delicate high hydration dough.  The dough was very extensible and it fights me fromone direction, but not the other, so it's easier  to let it become a rectangular pie rather than try to force it into a round shape. Baked 6 to 7 minutes at 550 directly on stone.

These pizzas were just as delicious and delicately crunchy as before, able to hold a bunch of toppings, with half the effort of my previous bakes.

I sure do miss pepperoni. :'(  you can see which halves are mine, and which are not.
Reesa