Author Topic: Caputo for Cracker Crust  (Read 552 times)

Offline caymus

Caputo for Cracker Crust
« on: August 10, 2014, 09:56:15 AM »
I have some slow moving Caputo flour. Would its tendency to make tough dough at lower temps make it suitable to use for cracker crust style pizza?  Would the lower cracker crust hydration make it more or less tough?  I am thinking that the flakiness of the crust may help the texture.

Thanks

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Caputo for Cracker Crust
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 09:18:55 PM »
I have some slow moving Caputo flour. Would its tendency to make tough dough at lower temps make it suitable to use for cracker crust style pizza?  Would the lower cracker crust hydration make it more or less tough?  I am thinking that the flakiness of the crust may help the texture.

Thanks
I think it might work. I once discovered that if you let a Caputo 00 dough overferment to the point where it was about dead, the dough would yield a cracker like crust. And it would be white in color because of the lack of residual sugar at the time of baking. You don't want to add sugar or oil to the dough.

Peter

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 02:04:25 AM »
I tried it once in my Blackstone using the GM 00 flour. They were okay but not close to a what I would consider a good cracker crust. Mind you, tried it only once. I've done HG and AP cracker crusts on the Blackstone and they were excellent.

jon
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 02:08:06 AM by Jackitup »
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 09:51:52 AM »
I had good results using oo flour for cracker crust....they were of the laminated kind though, so that might make a difference.
john

pizzapan