Author Topic: DKM's Thin Crust w/Pictures  (Read 62463 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: DKM's Thin Crust w/Pictures
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2005, 11:24:17 AM »
I use room-temperature dough. My dough is very dense and somewhat difficult to roll out. And it always turns out with nice air bubbles throughout.  8)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2005, 11:48:28 AM »
I did this dough yesterday and it was delicious. I found it impossible to get down to 1/16 thick. Also, I would say the dough had more of a rocket fuel aroma than a beer aroma. I think the warmer than usual weather had my yeast working double-time. You could actually hear the gasses leaving the dough-ball. It sounded like rice krispies :)

-burn8

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2005, 09:27:12 PM »
Really 1/16" is too thin.

One of the habbits we always had to break new people of was rolling the dough too thin.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2005, 07:12:17 AM »
The dough rolled out roughly has a diameter of 20", that is say about 1 1/2"- 2" overlap all the way around on a 16" pan.
Made it again for supper last night.  It is one of our household favorites.  Before, my wife did not like a thin crust but now she ask for it..  By the way made mine with fresh picked  tomatoes last night.   It was good but hard to beat the 6-in-1 and the 6-in -1 is much thicker even after slow cooking and draining twice.  They vacuum cook theirs to pull the moisture off.

Randy

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2005, 11:21:15 PM »
Randy,

Can you explain what you meant by 'slow cooking and draining twice'? I used 6-in-1 with fresh mozz and the pizza was way too watery. I usually get alot of excess water with the fresh cheese.

Did you slow cook the pizza or did you pre-cook the tomatoes?

I just finished another batch of this recipe for tomorrow night. It really is a great dough :)

Thanks,
-Allan

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2005, 06:46:25 PM »
Allan most everyone has reported fresh cheese had a problem with excess moisture.
The same problem with fresh tomatoes that have been crushed but not vacuum evaporated.  I tried draining, then cooking at 180F for 3 hours then draining again but they were still wet.
I have never had a moisture problem with 6-in-1 and using store bought Poly-O mozzarella.

This is a great recipe.

Randy

Offline Dropkick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2005, 11:58:20 PM »
Hi was just wondering do you have to proof the yeast first if using the food processor? You do for the stand mixer, how come not the fp? Can't wait to try it out but gotta wait for the NY style thats in the fridge at the mo.  :)

This waiting for 24h thing sucks, i see the pics and want to eat it straight away  >:(

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2005, 09:55:24 AM »
Dropkick,

The yeast is treated the same whether you use a stand mixer or a food processor. If you are using active dry yeast (ADY), it should be proofed in a part of the water called for in the recipe you are using. That water should be at around 105-115 degrees F. If you are using instant dry yeast (IDY), it does not require proofing in water and can be added directly to the flour.

If you are using a food processor, I suggest that you add the dry ingredients first and then the liquid. Otherwise, you can gum up the machine. For a stand mixer (like a KitchenAid), I do the reverse, that is, add the liquid first (or at least the bulk of it) and then add the dry ingredients.

Peter

Offline LeeB

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2005, 09:08:50 AM »
You do the 4 minute par bake, then after adding ingredients, how long does it cook in the oven????

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2006, 09:53:57 PM »
this thread is really old, but wow, I'm so glad the images are still there, this is a really great thread
if you want to try that cracker crust I'm getting interested in doing.

Looks super !  ;D
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2006, 10:06:39 PM »
I feel dopey also now.... have been a member for ages, and totally forgot that the recipes were not in the actual forum,
doh !  I've been looking for the cracker recipe for a good 15 mins and now I feel like a fool  :-[

off to the recipe section I go  :-*

The "exact" recipe is posted on the main website (http://www.pizzamaking.com) under Pizza Inn style thin crust recipe.
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2006, 03:31:15 PM »
I am doing a pizza-inn cracker style tonight and I was going to use the sauce recipe in the recipe section.  It calls for a 28 oz can of tomatoes.  How many pizza's will this cover?  I am used to one can for 3-4 NY styles (13").  I know this is 16", but one can seems way to much for one 16" pizza.

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2006, 04:32:05 PM »
I've been looking for the cracker recipe for a good 15 mins 

Geez....I just did this too! I'm so used to searching the forum for everything and the main recipe page seems soo far away. Even worse, I forgot that long ago, I printed out a hard copy, and it's in the binder setting beside me and includes notations.

TM

I believe you should be able to average about same number of pizzas from the 28oz can even though these are 16 inchers.

I have understood that the recipe was intended for the whole can, but there's no way the whole can should be for one pizza.

Maybe Steve will clarify, or someone can post a recommended amount. I wont be any help here since I grew up on this style and just  "eyeball" it.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2006, 06:10:04 PM »
i figure one cup per 16 0z pizza so you should get threee thin crust from one can, four if you use 3/4 cup per pizza.

Randy

Offline REMOISE

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2006, 07:57:38 AM »
Exactly how kids like it! thanks for the great pics will try one tonight especially for the world cup.

Offline REMOISE

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2006, 01:14:41 PM »
Steve,thank you for your hard work of sharing with us all your technique in achieving a cracker thin crust.Your pictures were wonderful and so was your explanation.You have really made this forum worth joining.Today I followed your instruction and made my very first Thin crust pizza with large airpocket everywhere yet the crust stayed thin and crisp.It was an 11,in my son's score board. .Now pizza day will always be great no more soggy pizzas!

Remoise

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2006, 07:39:34 PM »
You're welcome!  :chef:
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline cameron

« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2006, 04:56:49 PM »
I am trying to emulate the crust of a local mom & pop pizzaria in the Chicago suburbs near where I grew up called Barone's of Glen Ellyn.  I think I may start with DKM's thin & crispy cracker crust recipe as a baseline.  I would describe their dough as cracker-like, but it is a little bit thicker than what I see in the pictures here.  I would say the final *cooked* pizza has a dough thickness of about 1/8 - 3/16 of an inch, pretty cracker-like, but not too crispy either.  The dough is very light in color even when cooked - it hardly browns at all.  Also, I have never seen ANY air bubbles on any of their pizzas.  How do I minimize those?

Also, the bottom of the dough is always coated with blackened flecks - I assume this is cornmeal from their peels that has blackened in the oven?  Is that a good assumption?

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2006, 05:13:35 PM »
Cameron try this recipe, it is one of mine.  It should be close but it is easy to modify the amount of sugar, honey and oil without problems so you can experiment.

Randy

6.5 oz. warm water(120-130F)up from 6oz
1   teaspoons instant yeast
1 pound KA bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon Clasico Olive oil or Crisco zero trans fat(Green can)
Mix the flour and salt.  Place mixture in the mixing bowl then add the yeast to the bowl.  Measure the warm water and add the honey & sugar to the water. Pour that into the mixer and mix on stir for 2 minutes.  Add oil.  Knead for 10 minutes.  Place in greased bowl overnight in the Fridge. 

Remove next morning remove from cooler and knead into a fresh ball and let rest covered until the final rolling.  Use bread flour to keep it from sticking.  After rolling, prick a lot of holes in the dough.
Preheat oven to 500F Add toppings then bake for 8-10 minutes on lowest rack.

Offline cameron

« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2006, 10:01:01 PM »
Randy,

I tried this tonight.  It came out okay, but I can see I have a lot of experimenting to do.  I used my pizza stone for the baking - do you use a stone or a screen or a cutter pan?

I made mine way too thick, so next time I think I am going to halve the dough recipe (it's a smallish stone - maybe a 14" pizza on a 15" stone).  I think if it were thinner, it would come out pretty close to what I was looking for, and also might bake faster, which might help my next problem too...

How do I prevent the cheese from browning while still making sure the crust gets finished? I had it in at 475F on a preheated stone (which I assumed would help the crust go even faster relative to the cheese) for only 10 minutes, and the cheese was starting to brown.  I only had 8 oz. of mozzarella on it, which I found to be about half what it needs, so next time I'll try going for a full 16 oz.

Also, how do pizzerias prevent the cheese from yellowing after it cooks?  Barone's cheese is very white, even when melted and on top of sauce.  I am certain it is mozzarella, and not some other type.  Is it simply a virtue of high quality cheese?  Do you want higher or lower fat content for whiter cheese?