Author Topic: DKM's Thin Crust w/Pictures  (Read 64586 times)

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
Re: DKM's Thin Crust w/Pictures
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2005, 05:47:35 PM »
Great pix and recipe...I just have a dumb question..how much salt, yeast and sugar do you add to the flour individually prior to you mixing them?

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2005, 05:55:47 PM »
never mind...I found it..now to the laboratory!!!!!

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2005, 07:24:25 PM »
Steve - fantastic journal entry on this pizza!  Good camera, too.   What's your feeling on high-gluten flour, which you used, for this?  Think it's mandatory?  I'm going to try the food processor method within the week.  I'll post a journal on it, also.   I'm going to be using Belaria OO, which I just got the other day.  I don't think it's high gluten, but I could be wrong.  I'm also probably going to cook one on the pan, like yours, and one directly on stone.

Mark
"Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke"......
  "And some white toast..."  Jake & Elwood

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2005, 08:12:34 PM »
pizzaluvr,

The Bel Aria flour is an Italian 00 flour with one of the lowest protein contents of any pizza flour--several percentage points below high-gluten flour. I could be wrong, but I wonder whether it will even work in the thin crust recipe.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 08:14:28 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2005, 08:12:04 AM »
Steve - fantastic journal entry on this pizza!  Good camera, too.   What's your feeling on high-gluten flour, which you used, for this?  Think it's mandatory?  I'm going to try the food processor method within the week.  I'll post a journal on it, also.   I'm going to be using Belaria OO, which I just got the other day.  I don't think it's high gluten, but I could be wrong.  I'm also probably going to cook one on the pan, like yours, and one directly on stone.

Mark

High gluten flour produces the best crust. I've tried this recipe side-by-side with bread and all-purpose flour. High gluten is the clear winner. And, don't forget to parbake the crust for 3 minutes.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline BadDad63

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2005, 04:34:26 PM »
Man Pizza Inn is one of the only two chain pizzas I love. I've been trying to duplicate their crust for a while now and I cant wait to try this out. I just hope it works as good in my stand mixer as it did in your food processor. The wife wasn't too happy when I spent all that money for a mixer just to make pizza. However my family now prefers to eat my pizza more than any other! If it takes a processor then she will just have to get over it! I just order the cutter pan!

Thanks for the great pictures and detailed instructions.

I love this site!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2005, 07:57:29 PM »
BadDad i make mine in a stand mixer and it comes out great.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2005, 09:22:16 PM »
I also use a stand mixer.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline captain-insano

• Lets eat!
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2005, 11:24:31 PM »
I made this crust recipe earlier tonight. It doesn't look like it is rising like it should. How should it look after three hours? I still looks the same as when i pressed it togethor. Is this normal?

Offline duckjob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2005, 11:28:55 PM »
I'll chime in again with the stand mixer. I just put my kitchen aid on speed 4 and let it go for about 6 or 7 minutes, you get the same wet cornmeal consistency you do with a food processor. MAde one last night as a matter of fact.

Brian

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2005, 06:35:03 AM »
It takes some time before you ever see any size growth but even then it is not a great deal of rise.  It want double like say a NY pizza dough.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2005, 08:35:42 PM »
I made this crust recipe earlier tonight. It doesn't look like it is rising like it should. How should it look after three hours? I still looks the same as when i pressed it togethor. Is this normal?

Don't worry about it rising. Just let it ferment. Mine hardly rises at all.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline captain-insano

• Lets eat!
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2005, 02:34:19 PM »
Wow it turned out ok. ;D I didnt get any air pockets though. I did roll it out about 45 minutes before i baked it. However when I rolled it out i took the excess and rolled it out and placed it directly on my stone and it did puff up. Could I have docked my dough too much? I also did not use a  cutter pan because I drove all over Kansas City yesterday looking for one. It was not browned on the bottom either but the cheese was brown along with the top crust. Still good though and my girlfriend was impressed.  8) Do i have to make it even thinner? Should I put the pan on my stone? What i did to crisp it up is take it off the pan and layed it directly on my stone for a couple of minutes. Lots of potential and i think ok for my first try. I have been searching forever for this type of crust! Thanks a million I am now addicted to pizzamaking.com!! I do have one question. When I delivered for pizza slut back in the eighties i seem to remember them letting the thin crust mix for thirty minutes in the Hobart. How is that dough different than the DKM dough? And to say again thanks for the excellent advice and website.

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2005, 04:31:14 PM »
I'm going to give this pizza a shot this week also.  I even went out and bought a new 10 cup food processor.  A couple of questions/thoughts:

• After par baking in the pan, what would you think about taking the shell off of the pan and placing it on a peel; add the sauce and cheese and then put it on a stone without a pan?  I think I will try that on one pizza to see if there's any difference between the all-pan method.
  • Is 550F too hot for a thin, or okay?  I read that 425 was used on an earlier post.
"Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke"......
  "And some white toast..."  Jake & Elwood

Offline captain-insano

• Lets eat!
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2005, 01:10:15 PM »
Tried it again yesterday. Something didnt seem right about the dough. It didnt have that alcohol smell as it did the first time i made it. Also the dough ball broke in half and was really hard to roll. Pizza turned out bad. Crust was really thin with no bubbles at all. Was also tough. I did not proof my yeast at all. I am guessing because of the no kneading that this must be an important part. When I placed a piece of the crust that was trimmed off it did not poof up when placed on my stone. I need to buy me a digital camera to take pictures of my creations. Any suggestions? :(

Offline fast_des

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2005, 06:16:28 PM »
Okay, here goes...

After salivating over these sublime pics for the last few days, I decided to order myself a Pizza Stone --which, with any luck-- should be here tomorrow.  My plan is to THEN make the aforementioned dough using a breadmaker [laughs], as I don't have a a food processor/mixer in my possession. Warning bells are goin' off in my head left, right and centre... and I guess I'm lookin' for some confirmation that everything is going to be fine & dandy AND the finished-product will indeed resemble the culinary-delight enclosed within this thread. Fat chance! I guess I need help, generally speaking ;)

Offline GoldHorde

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2005, 11:59:51 PM »
Hi Steve- as a huge fan of cracker crust pizza - I bend the knee and defer to your seasoned experience. Here in Minneapolis, MN the pinnacle of cracker crust pizza is tobe found at Broadway Pizza, and only the original one downtown. You mention that you did not consider this particular recipe to be as good as your best cracker thin crust - do you have a link to the one you consider your best? My best attempts at it have involved making a sponge, which I also use for my favorite toasting bread - Vienna Bread. This sounds like what you have basically done, with a much longer age.

Offline pizzalover

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2005, 11:29:20 AM »
Cheese is added, then the toppings. Callogen cased pepperoni is used here... the kids love this type of pepperoni, they call it "crater pizza"! You'll see why when you see the cooked pizza.

Note: Do not use a lot of cheese or toppings as this tends to overload a thin crust pizza! In this case, less is more!

After topping, into the oven it goes!

-- Did you by any chance measure the cheese as well? which cheese did you use and how much?

Offline pizzalover

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2005, 11:31:59 AM »
High gluten flour produces the best crust. I've tried this recipe side-by-side with bread and all-purpose flour. High gluten is the clear winner. And, don't forget to parbake the crust for 3 minutes.

parbake for 3 mins or 4 ? in the picture, i think you mentioned 4...does one minute make a difference in any way?

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2005, 01:53:24 PM »
Steve, I am still having problems getting the nice bubble crust like you have on your cracker crust.  You are the only one with so much success.  I had the bubbles in my crust a while back but I am since having problems ending up with just a very flat crust.  I think the problem maybe how hard it is to roll out my dough.

A few more question.
Do you use an instant yeast or Active dry?
What temperature is your water?
In your post with pictures you say to put the yeast in with the flour.  Are you still doing that?

I am getting the great flavor from the 24 hour rise at room temperature just not the right structure?

Thanks
Randy