Author Topic: Pizza IVR Telephone Orders  (Read 15605 times)

Offline Jackitup

Re: Pizza IVR Telephone Orders
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2009, 10:12:54 AM »
I'm sorry I have to jump in here. I work nites at Children's Hospital and now and then I get a bit of time to go thru different threads in this and other forums, BBQ and Pizza being tops. At some point I'm sure you will all agree.....to disagree, and hopefully no ill will caried forth, but this has been an entertaining thread to say the least, and all bring up good points. For myself, sometimes the 'robot' thingy is convenient, not often. We "ALL" have had the robot system from hell that ends up with a broken phone and lots of anger from being on hold forever and then having to give all the info to the the real person that finally shows up that you just gave to the robot. Myself I try to avoid the robot when I can, and when I know from experience that a certain robot system works, I will reluctantly give in to it. But all that being said, I've enjoyed the banter going back and forth.
Stay well, and good pizza and bbq to all,
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2009, 02:44:20 PM »
That's a nice theory, but lets talk reality. The HUMAN versus
IVR system I have in mind for a pizza shop would test like this..

All you managed to do is compare scripts, not systems.  For every line spoken by the IVR, a human could have been scripted to say the exact same thing.  You artificially inflated one script without justification and introduced a false dichotomy.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2009, 04:00:01 PM »
"In other words, an automated system could posssibly serve to filter out difficult
customers.

they would probably love to have a way to avoid customers who are difficult to
deal with (...) For example,
customers that bounce checks, ones that don't keep appointments, people that
are too demanding or untrusting, chronic complainers, people looking to pay
less than the standard rates, people who never pickup their property after
it's been repaired, and so on."

Hmmm... just for the sake of argument, you said that an IVR could filter out difficult customers, then you defined difficult customers... as all of the above.  As I already said, you will never know if a customer is difficult or not until you actually deal with them.  An IVR is not intelligent and certainly not clairvoyant... it cannot tell if those who hang up intially would have been good customers or bad.  Just because a person don't want to deal with an IVR doesn't make that person more prone to being that grouchy ass I mentioned earlier, who bounces checks.  So, I also infer that since you use the IVR to screen your customers in the way that you have mentioned, that means you've never had to deal with a difficult customer!  That's really a plus for your business and on that basis, everyone should sign up for an IVR!

"You stated that my system screened you out. Well, judging by all the things you've
said in this thread to me and others, your personality is shining through. I'd now
classify you as one of those customers who would be hard to please. "

I'm hoping that this quote also is part of your "just kidding"... because it seems to me that you really enjoy classifying me as "difficult"!  :o   :(   ;) 
Since this whole discussion is about customer service (or seeming lack of it with an IVR), I would like to point out that those who have been in any position that requires a lot of face-time with the public (as I have been) end up with one of two attitudes:  "I give only the best customer service and I expect only the best in return, so if you don't give me exactly what I want, I will be your worst nightmare customer"  OR  "I know what it's like to deal with people who can make your life miserable because they are so demanding.  For that reason, I am VERY easy to please because I know you have enough grouchy customers in your life already, and you certainly don't need another one." 
I am the second type.  Life's too short to be the first type.

All of this is posted in the spirit of interesting discussion of a topic that will fire some people up... and get a lukewarm "meh.." from others.  I am somewhere between those two extremes, but admit to enjoying the role of devil's advocate.

~sd

Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2009, 04:04:35 PM »
I'm sorry I have to jump in here. I work nites at Children's Hospital and now and then I get a bit of time to go thru different threads in this and other forums, BBQ and Pizza being tops. At some point I'm sure you will all agree.....to disagree, and hopefully no ill will caried forth, but this has been an entertaining thread to say the least, and all bring up good points. For myself, sometimes the 'robot' thingy is convenient, not often. We "ALL" have had the robot system from hell that ends up with a broken phone and lots of anger from being on hold forever and then having to give all the info to the the real person that finally shows up that you just gave to the robot. Myself I try to avoid the robot when I can, and when I know from experience that a certain robot system works, I will reluctantly give in to it. But all that being said, I've enjoyed the banter going back and forth.
Stay well, and good pizza and bbq to all,
Jon

I agree with everything that Jon says (except I don't work in a hospital...)

~sd

Offline petef

« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2009, 06:36:44 PM »
Hmmm... just for the sake of argument, you said that an IVR could filter out difficult customers, then you defined difficult customers... as all of the above.  As I already said, you will never know if a customer is difficult or not until you actually deal with them.  An IVR is not intelligent and certainly not clairvoyant... it cannot tell if those who hang up intially would have been good customers or bad.  Just because a person don't want to deal with an IVR doesn't make that person more prone to being that grouchy ass I mentioned earlier, who bounces checks.  So, I also infer that since you use the IVR to screen your customers in the way that you have mentioned, that means you've never had to deal with a difficult customer!  That's really a plus for your business and on that basis, everyone should sign up for an IVR!

No, no, no, no, no.
If that's what you think then you have totally misinterpreted my
posts and you are putting words in my mouth that I never said.
This is becoming most difficult trying to communicate with you.

---pete---

Offline petef

« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2009, 06:46:11 PM »
All you managed to do is compare scripts, not systems.  For every line spoken by the IVR, a human could have been scripted to say the exact same thing.  You artificially inflated one script without justification and introduced a false dichotomy.

Ok, that's cool. You are entitled to your opinion. :)

avigopinath, are you still there? Taking notes?
Care to comment on this entire thread?

---pete---

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2009, 06:48:06 PM »

And you are entitled to your thought experiments, but what I stated was not opinion.

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2009, 07:21:43 PM »
Like I said... "Just for the sake of argument...."
I already admitted enjoying the role of devil's advocate...
I'm just trying to keep the topic interesting as well as explore all the possibilities.
What I'm actually doing is taking words you DID say and extrapolating.

I understand your business model... the fact that you don't want to grow your business and the reasons for it, which are completely understandable and legitimate!  This also explains your comfort with not worrying about people like me who won't talk to your IVR.  What it doesn't explain is how you never end up with difficult customers... and, I have to admit, I'm really curious about that.  It cannot be the phone system you've installed, so what's your secret?

I hope that you read my entire post and didn't get upset and quit reading after the part you quoted. 
If you continued to read, you will understand a little better why I posted what I did.
I'm sorry if you think communication with me is difficult... that is not my intention but sometimes it does come with the territory for devil's advocates.  Please forgive me if I have offended you.

November is right... what he posted was not opinion and it disagrees with you.  I guess, now more interpolating than extrapolating, that he's being difficult, too.  I guess you find us difficult folks everywhere, not just customer service.  (Sorry November, no insult intended because your post makes perfect sense, at least to me.)

As for avigopinath, no he's not reading and taking notes.  He hasn't been on the site since noon on Jan 27th... which is back on page 3 where he hooked up with PBX800.  Apparently, he got what he was looking for and left the building.

~sd

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2009, 07:34:31 PM »

As for avigopinath, no he's not reading and taking notes.  He hasn't been on the site since noon on Jan 27th... which is back on page 3 where he hooked up with PBX800.  Apparently, he got what he was looking for and left the building.

avignopinath was just a shill for PBX 800.

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2009, 07:41:56 PM »

That was certainly my impression from the posts of the two "members" involved.  I guess "got what he wanted" was not quite the right turn of phrase... a better description would be "accomplished his mission".

Offline petef

« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2009, 11:58:48 PM »

I understand your business model... the fact that you don't want to grow your business and the reasons for it, which are completely understandable and legitimate!  This also explains your comfort with not worrying about people like me who won't talk to your IVR.  What it doesn't explain is how you never end up with difficult customers... and, I have to admit, I'm really curious about that.  It cannot be the phone system you've installed, so what's your secret?

Ok, here's my frustration with your posts. You twist my words to
make your argument. The above is a good example. I'd like you
to show me where I said I never end up with difficult customers.

I'm finding you difficult to deal with because you take my words
out of context to make your points. If you are not doing this
intentionally, then it might be a reading comprehension issue
on your part.

PS: I was not offended, just frustrated. :)

---pete---

Offline avigopinath

« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2009, 04:34:08 PM »

avigopinath, are you still there? Taking notes?
Care to comment on this entire thread?

---pete---

hey Pete,

Yep pretty much here.How you doing and appreciate entitling me for the opinions ;):)

Offline avigopinath

« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2009, 04:37:23 PM »
That was certainly my impression from the posts of the two "members" involved.  I guess "got what he wanted" was not quite the right turn of phrase... a better description would be "accomplished his mission".

Hi SD,

Was away for the weekend and didn't know I was missed so much.Well I am back and thanks a million !

-- Av

Offline avigopinath

« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2009, 04:43:31 PM »

Hello Bill,

I was away for the weekend but am back to take my notes.I am listening.Can I put the demo number here so ppl can hear it for themselves and we can have more opinions coming out.

Please advise.

--- Av

Offline avigopinath

« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2009, 04:53:05 PM »
That's a nice theory, but lets talk reality. The HUMAN versus
IVR system I have in mind for a pizza shop would test like this..

================

1. Customer calls in an order to a human...

Hello ABC Pizza, can I help you.

2. Yes, I'd like to order a large pie with sausage and mushrooms.

Is that for here or pickup or delivery?

3. I'd like to have it delivered.

4. Also, can you cook that extra crispy?

Sure. no problem.

Ok, what is your name?

5. John Smith.

What is your address?

6. I'm at 123 Fourth St. in Newtown.

Ok that's 1234 what street?

7. Fourth St.

Ok that's 1234 Fourth St.

8. No, it's 123 Fourth st.

Ooooooooooooh Ok, I got it now, Sorry.
(10 second pause while he writes it all down.)
Ok, that will $14.83 and it will be delivered in about 30 to 45 minutes.

9. Ok, thank you, goodbye.

Overall rating... 1 error in communications and  60 seconds to complete the order
in 9 steps. Customer rates the service a 3 (1 to 10 scale, 1=best),  maninly due
to the human not listening well which caused problems with the address.
Customer *hopes* he got the rest of the order right.

================

1. Customer calls in an order to an IVR system...

Hello, thank you for calling ABC Pizza.
Press 1 to place an order or speak to Joe.
Press 2 to order one of your favorites using the automated sytem and receive a $1 discount.

2. Customer presses 2

Hello John Smith, select one of your favorites as follows.
Press 1 for a medium sized Italian Hoagie as with extra mayo, and hot peppers.
Press 2 for a large pie with sausage and mushrooms, cooked extra crispy.
Press 3 for a large cheese pie with extra cheese, cooked extra crispy.
Press 4 to add a 1 large bottle of coke.

3. Customer presses 2

Press * to continue or press 1 thru 4 to add an other favorite.

4. Customer presses *

Ok that's 1 a large pie with sausage and mushrooms, cooked extra crispy.
Total is $13.83 and you saved $1.00 today by using this ordering system.
It will be delivered to 123 Fourth St, in Newtown within 30 to 45 minutes.
If all that is correct press 1, otherwise press 2 to speak to Joe to
add something or make a correction.

5. Customer presses 1

Overall rating... 0 errors in communications and  50 seconds to complete the order
in 5 steps. Customer rates the service a 1 (1 to 10 scale, 1=best) because it went
so smoothly and he is confident the order is 100% accutate. Customer is extra
happy because he took the easy method of ordering and saved $1.00 in the
process.

================

IVR system beats the HUMAN for ordering favorites!
IVR system takes less time.
IVR system is less complex.
IVR system is more accurtate.
IVR system provides more customer satisfaction.

HUMAN is on standby to take over where the IVR system is inadequate.

Again, I reinerate, this same IVR system would NOT likely
beat the HUMAN for special orders or more complex orders.
It's only practical use is for ordering favorites that the HUMAN
pizza shop owenr has entered into the system for his regular
customers.

---pete---

The product can be customised the way you want the prompts to be read out.More over pete's scenario of the IVR is ven far more reduced as its speech driven.

Istead of pressing options, you can just say it and the IVR understands.

The returning customers benefit a lot and the more opinions we get we can bring it as close to reality as possible.

-- Av

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2009, 05:29:47 PM »
Hello Bill,

I was away for the weekend but am back to take my notes.I am listening.Can I put the demo number here so ppl can hear it for themselves and we can have more opinions coming out.

Please advise.

--- Av

Av,

Commercial messages are strictly prohibited on the general forums. IMO, you/PBX800 crossed this line. However, since there seems to so much discussion regarding this topic, it remains here and unlocked for the benefit of the membership. Members should contact avignopinath via PM if they want more info regarding the demo.

Bill/SFNM

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2009, 09:04:01 PM »
*sigh*
I, too, am frustrated... and became frustrated when you posted this:

I was not directing my comments at you, but
I can now see how sensitive you are.
You might be a hard customer to please.
That's exactly my point.

---pete---

and now, you have suggested that I might have a reading comprehension problem?  No.  I don't.

I have not twisted your words, but I have taken your words and extrapolated them based on how I interpret them.

So, since you want full context quotes:

Another point to consider is from the business owner's point of view. I operate a home
based business and rely upon an automated answering system to take calls of potential
customers and my regular customers while I'm out on service calls. I have found that
customers who use my automated system to either obtain info about my fees and
services or to leave a message about their problem, are generally my best customers
and enjoyable to work with. I'm perfectly comfortable with passing up on customers
who will not talk to my machine.
If I had to hire a full time human answering service,
I'd need to raise my rates. I' d rather offer low rates for my good customers than
try to satisfy everyone and have to raise my rates.

In other words, an automated system could posssibly serve to filter out difficult
customers
. It all depends upon how selective you want to be for your particular
business. If you make the best pizza on the east coast, I think you can fully
automate your ordering process and the customers will adapt to it, but if you
are just the average pizza shop, I doubt that you could afford to lose any
customers by adopting a fully automated ordering system.

---pete---

I'm not sure if you understand the ramifications of what you have stated, especially in the parts of your post which I have emphasized, or indeed, the whole tone of your post.

The way I interpret those quotes is that only the pains-in-the-ass want to talk to you directly.  Is it possible that since they want your valuable time and won't settle for a machine, they are immediately catagorized as "difficult", just as you jumped to the conclusion that I am "sensitive", "difficult" and have a reading problem without knowing me at all?

If I am misinterpreting your intentions, please explain what you actually meant by "In other words, an automated system could posssibly serve to filter out difficult customers."  Is there really another interpretation besides mine?  I would like to hear it.

In reality, this actual thread is moot for me since we don't order pizza anymore (I make all our pizza at home now) but it IS of interest to me since I don't like dealing with IVRs in other settings and would rather speak to another human rather than a machine.  If that makes me difficult, so be it.  It's my preference. 

I try to deal with mom & pop businesses to help keep small business alive in this country.  Whenever possible, I will choose an m & p over a chain or franchise.  When I find a mom or a pop who does a good job (and I have found most do), I become very loyal and sing their praises to all who will listen, hopefully bringing them more customers.  Most small businesses want more customers as a form of "insurance" against the economy and the national retailers, who can offer a cheaper price because of their size.  I'd rather pay more to a mom & pop to get the great service they usually provide, including a smile and a by-name greeting when I walk in the door.  And, most m & p's don't use an IVR to screen their customers... another plus for me!

~sd

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2009, 10:27:27 PM »
Well, it seems that we all had a good and thorough discussion, with some heat thrown in here and there.

RN has had some good points and I'm glad he got to enjoy his human get-together on anthropology, and even though I don't agree with him on all of his points, it's always fun to engage him in a debate, even if he gets carried away on occasion  :).

Same goes for Mots, PNW, petef and JackitUp, who IMHO hit the nail on the proverbial head.

May the next one be even more fun.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2009, 12:12:20 AM »
I'm glad he got to enjoy his human get-together on anthropology

The context for the parenthetical notation is derived from the parent parenthetical phrase.  My gathering had nothing to do with anthropology.

Offline petef

« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2009, 12:31:28 AM »
The way I interpret those quotes is that only the pains-in-the-ass want to talk to you directly.

See, I never said only the pains-in-the-ass want to talk to me directly
and you misinterpreted what you read. I have a feeling that you thought
I was referring to you and your emotions took over rather than your
logic and that caused you to misinterpret what I wrote.

Is it possible that since they want your valuable time and won't settle for a machine, they are immediately catagorized as "difficult", just as you jumped to the conclusion that I am "sensitive", "difficult" and have a reading problem without knowing me at all?

No, not at all. Again you sem to be having an emotional reaction
to my posts which is causing you to put words in my mouth to
make your point.

At the point in this thread you are referring to above, I had not
directed my "difficult" comment towards you. I was only referring
to people I had experience with in my busienss. You misinterpreted
what I wrote and took it personally. This is an indicator that you
are too sensitive.

Now I have to keep explaining what was clearly written in my
posts. I also noticed how you were communicating with others
within this thread in a negative fashion. These were indicators
to me that you are difficult to deal with. That's what made
me initially think you are difficult to deal with.

Why do you care what I think about you anyway?
I have no control over your life. I'm just some
pizza fanatic on this forum.

If I am misinterpreting your intentions, please explain what you actually meant by "In other words, an automated system could posssibly serve to filter out difficult customers."  Is there really another interpretation besides mine?  I would like to hear it.

Ok, again allow me to reiterate, I never said that my IVR system, filters
out all the difficult customers, because it does not. I only stated that my
best and most enjoyable ones to work with use the system to obtain info
about my services and leave messages. Then in a new paragraph
(separate thought), I speak generally about "an automated system" and
how it could *possibly* be used to filter out difficult customers. NOT MY
IVR SYSTEM, but an IVR sytem in general.  If you didn't get that, then it
might be an indicator that you misinterpreted my post due to an
emotional response and over-sensitivity thinking I was talking about you,
when in fact I was not. Now I am here again trying to explain all this for
 a second or third time. Hmmmmm, the word difficult come to mind again.

Bottom line, if you admit that you will not do business with anyone who
makes you speak to a machine rather than a human, it shows a certain
level of intolerance in your personality. If you are so set against talking
to a machine even for something that could be mechanical or repeatitve
like ordering food, I'd say that you have some emotional reason or
sensitivity on this issue that I don't quite share or fully understand.

Back to the main IVR topic here, the question remains. If a person
refuses to talk to a machine for ordering pizza, does that make them
a difficult or undesirable customer?

Well, I say it all depends upon how the IVR system is designed. If
the IVR system makes the task easier for the customer and improves
accuracy and speed of the order, and the customer still refuses to use
it or even try it, then I'd say the customer was being uncooperative
or difficult.

Whether your particular pizza business can afford to turn away
difficult customers depends upon how much demand there is
for your pizza. Case in point, we have a pizza place here in NJ
that has the reputation of making one of the best Tomato Pies