Author Topic: Any hot tub owners out there?  (Read 176 times)

TRRH and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline moose13

Any hot tub owners out there?
« on: Yesterday at 07:13:45 PM »
Spent the weekend in Thermopolis Wy, in the hot springs.
Soaking in the springs sure helped the aging and aching bones.
The wife and I are thinking about getting a hot tub for the back yard and am looking for advice or experience.
First how much work/expense is it to keep the water clean and not green?
Also we have brutal winters here and the thought of something going wrong and turning my tub into a big ice cube is a big worry. I know some folks drain and winterize their tubs before freezing weather hits, but this is when i would enjoy it most. I would scrap the idea if we could not run it year round. I also see a ton of used tubs, wonder why? Is it a fad that people grow out of, or just too much to take care of? Thanks for any advice!

Offline Jackitup

Re: Any hot tub owners out there?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:11:41 PM »
I will say this......ME TOO :-D Been tossing this one around for years, never bit yet. Family begged for years to put a pool in, never fell for all those sad puppy faces saying "I'll help keep it clean", toooo many trees and leaves in my yard for dat chit........Hot tub sounds much more appealing, and I would be the one with a brandy, cigar and a snowstorm at 30 below sitting in the hot tub with the smoker going full of meat. And wet, bare foot tracks going back and forth checking the meat :-D :-D I'll be following this thread!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 08:20:01 PM »
Not sure if you have kids, but I'll give a different perspective if you do. My father built a hot tub out of redwood, and as a kid we used it every weekend to  look for satellites and meteors. This was in NY, and he kept it going until around December when it got too cold. Till this day, I love looking up in the night sky looking for satellites and meteors, and hopefully I can share the same experience with my kids before it's too late.
Josh

Offline moose13

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 08:30:13 PM »
Not sure if you have kids, but I'll give a different perspective if you do. My father built a hot tub out of redwood, and as a kid we used it every weekend to  look for satellites and meteors. This was in NY, and he kept it going until around December when it got too cold. Till this day, I love looking up in the night sky looking for satellites and meteors, and hopefully I can share the same experience with my kids before it's too late.
I do have kids and they would love it as well.

Offline moose13

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 08:31:56 PM »
I will say this......ME TOO :-D Been tossing this one around for years, never bit yet. Family begged for years to put a pool in, never fell for all those sad puppy faces saying "I'll help keep it clean", toooo many trees and leaves in my yard for dat chit........Hot tub sounds much more appealing, and I would be the one with a brandy, cigar and a snowstorm at 30 below sitting in the hot tub with the smoker going full of meat. And wet, bare foot tracks going back and forth checking the meat :-D :-D I'll be following this thread!

jon
I am with ya on the brandy, cigar and smoker!
Man i can see it already... :)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 08:57:05 PM »
I have The hot tub overlooking the pizza ove ;D
Used it a lot more when it first went in. But a yes sir on the old achy bones
Does help Fo Sho
John
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:59:27 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline moose13

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 09:05:36 PM »
I have The hot tub overlooking the pizza ove ;D
Used it a lot more when it first went in. But a yes sir on the old achy bones
Does help Fo Sho
John
Do you keep it running all year long?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 09:12:17 PM »
Yes shovel the path from the French doors right to tub love it in the winter or hangin in a snow storm very cool !
J
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 09:42:06 PM »
I can't tell you about the frigid weather issue. 

I can tell you that I had a hot tub and pool in my yards (I moved a lot) since the mid 80's.  This is the first house in a long time where we don't have that.  We live in the Oakland hills on a really sharp slope and there really is no "go to" place that works (although I am always scheming).

We never used the pools much, and the hot tubs had ups and downs - long periods of frequent use and some gaps.

But, nothing beats getting in the tub after dinner.  You set it, say at 102, and get in, look up at the stars and steam away your aches and get your mind off things.  Can be good in the rain too as long as it is not a heavy rain.

I miss it and would get one again in a flash if I can get the right spot.  My contractor gives me the stink eye when I ask him if I can put one on the deck he built.  I may have to call the engineer and get his opinion.

One other thing to consider as an issue is the warm up time.  If you do not have it on a timer so that it is nice and hot when you want to go in, then the spontaneity issue kills your use.  That means keeping it heated a lot regularly or doing some great planning. 

DO IT!

Offline moose13

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 09:49:22 PM »
DO IT!
 ^^^

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 11:12:49 PM »
I don't know if this is still available, but it is built like a large thermos bottle, with an insulated  tight fitting fibreglass lid and heavy insulation all around. It's designed to run on low speed 24/7 and requires very little energy to maintain that 102 degree temp, even in the depths of winter.
 As far as maintenance, I've run it for 20 years on a 15 watt UV sterilizer,  and  a pleated  spa, filter  for particulates and have never added a single chemical. It gets a new UV bulb every year or so.
The water is pristine, and no aroma of bromine or any chemicals.
Now, all I have to do is get back in the habit of using it....

Perry
« Last Edit: Today at 01:01:14 AM by pizzaboyfan »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 11:39:07 PM »
consider solar panel heating it.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #12 on: Today at 09:44:23 AM »
I have a Hot tub and let me tell you it is expensive.  I have it run all year so it is ready as soon as I pull the lid back.  lately we have been using it less but in the winter is the best time for us.  Love it when the snow is coming down, steam going up, got some tunes on and something to drink.... wonderful!  Electric bills are tough to swallow but thats the price you pay (so to speak)
The tub sits under a roof for some protection.  If I could have a tub half the size of my pool that would be the perfect choice.
tom