Author Topic: Best Threads with Photos of Pizza  (Read 18786 times)

Offline zalicious

Re: Best Threads with Photos of Pizza
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 02:37:14 PM »
Here's my favorite thread, Greek Pizza, with photos.http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.20.html

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 03:13:59 PM »
I never saw that thread! LOVE it and cant wait to try it out. I grew up on Franklin House of pizza in Mass. wow 35 yrs ago! and Laconia House of Pizza in NH 25 years ago and yes they were both greek owners there?Am I dating myself here? Ny style for the last 20. I never remembered that style or put the 2 and 2 together?  Of course I was not making too many pizzas back then. I want it now. I am having a pizza flashback of the dough , sauce and flavor.
Thanks for refreshing the old thread again!
John
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 03:16:28 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 03:20:11 PM »
John,

You can use your new 14" cutter pan with that pizza, as I did.

Peter

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 09:41:31 PM »
I do remeber them doing these on the deck or at least finishing them on there does that sound right.? Its coming back, I can see the 1" dark pans as they slip the pizza out. I will use that new pan Peter, Thanks for the memories. Cant wait to give this one a whirl
JC

cornicione54

Re: Best Threads with Photos of Pizza (@Scott123)
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 09:54:24 AM »
Given his tireless efforts in dispensing his incredible pizza-wisdom on these forums, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would love to see some of Scott123's own pizza creations.

Scott if you're reading, it would be useful (and mucho appreciated) to get some visual idea of your ideal pie (as crafted by your own hands).
Thanks in advance :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 09:57:18 AM by cornicione54 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 10:23:27 AM »

Online scott123

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 11:22:44 AM »
Cornicione54, thank you for your kind words. Although I didn't get a chance to mention it, I thoroughly enjoyed your mini review of Franco Manca. Nice work.

Regarding my pizzas, I'm getting a slight feeling that my lack of photos are somehow generating a misplaced buzz, and, in the process, setting up everyone for a bit of a let down. My pies are pretty generic.  Like all things NY style, I have a pretty rigid aesthetic in my head and I try to stay as close as possible to that archetype.  I also lean pretty heavily toward puffy chewy and moist, so my pies are a little on the pale side.

Ideally, I'd like it if everyone here could taste my pies.  It's really the taste that I'm proud of. Aesthetically, they look like just about every other pizza you find in thousands of NY pizzerias.

If you really need a mental image, I found a photo from member Gags (Ryan) that's pretty close to what my pies look like. The thread is here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7776.msg66755.html#msg66755

and the photo is below. The only major difference is that my skin is thinner under the sauce and cheese. This, to me, is the classic look.

cornicione54

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 11:47:10 AM »
Thanks Scott for sharing more thoughts on the aesthetics of your ideal pizza. The image above definitely helps. You're right, of course, photos are no substitute for taste but I hope to enjoy the fruits of the video project you mentioned in the other thread someday soon.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 12:33:39 PM »
scott123,

I completely share your vision of what a NY style, and especially a NY "street" or "slice" style, should be and look like. That wasn't always the case. For example, when I first started the Lehmann NY thread, without any real firsthand knowlege of the NY style, I made pizzas with large rims and the crusts were not particularly thin (being a novitiate, I was operating off of general thickness factor values that Tom Lehmann and Big Dave Ostrander discussed in articles). Then I was told by members who lived and grew up in NYC that NY style pizzas do not have large rims and also that they tend to the light side in terms of crust color. What I eventually discovered is that our members favor large rims with open and airy crumbs and with a lot of bubbles and fermentation blisters and a lot of crust color, including a decent amount of char. And a more artisan appearance, maybe more along the lines of the NY elite style, and often requiring unique oven configurations beyond a standard home oven with a simple pizza stone. Although I personally like a somewhat thicker crust for the NY style in my home oven and arrangement, over time I have steered others to lower thickness factor values that are more representative of the NY style.

What I would personally like to see is an 18" NY street or slice style pizza in the classic mold--and baked on a stone surface. Although I once said that 16" was a common NYC size, which I confirmed by looking at the menus of some of the more popular NYC pizza shops, I was told by members in the know that the most common sizes are 14" and 18". If a member can come up with a great looking photo of a real 14", 16" or 18" NYC street or slice style pizza, preferably along with a dough formulation that is detailed enough for our members to use, I would consider adding it to the links to photos in Reply 5 in this thread.

Peter

Online scott123

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 03:18:09 PM »
Peter,

There's basically two slice sizes- a large pie and a slice pie. Unless you're in Hoboken (home of the massive slice), slice pies are 21."  In my experience 16" is pretty common for a large pie, although my favorite place use to stretch it to 17" and put it in a 16" box.  There's nothing happier than a 17" pie in a 16" box.  Exact same pie in an 18" box- not as good  :P

18" isn't unheard of, but I really think the majority of places that sell large pies are 16."  18" pizzas are beautiful, though.   18" is kind of like the golden mean for pizza.  It has the perfect balance of crust to sauce/cheese.  Made by the same person with the equivalent thickness factors, an 18" pizza will always look better than a 16."

As far as pies smaller than 16,"  I think it's pretty safe to say that most NYers ignore those.  Sure, most places have small pies on the menu, but I've never seen someone order one.  If you're alone, you get a slice (or two), if you're with a group, you get a large pie. I've talked about this before, but small pies are incredibly aesthetically challenged.  I know that people have stones/ovens that restrict the size of pies they can make, but, as a NYer, I can't look at anything smaller than 16" and not cringe a little. It's in our genes  ;D

Talking about pale crusts... the crust I grew up with so pale, it was almost pure white.

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 09:56:15 PM »
I lived in NY for 7 years and I hardly ever saw a 16" pizza. The majority of places sold 18" pies and slices from 18" pies as well. Some of the coal oven places sold 16" pies. I don't think I ever saw a 21" pizza.

Online c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
scott123,

I completely share your vision of what a NY style, and especially a NY "street" or "slice" style, should be and look like. That wasn't always the case. For example, when I first started the Lehmann NY thread, without any real firsthand knowlege of the NY style, I made pizzas with large rims and the crusts were not particularly thin (being a novitiate, I was operating off of general thickness factor values that Tom Lehmann and Big Dave Ostrander discussed in articles). Then I was told by members who lived and grew up in NYC that NY style pizzas do not have large rims and also that they tend to the light side in terms of crust color. What I eventually discovered is that our members favor large rims with open and airy crumbs and with a lot of bubbles and fermentation blisters and a lot of crust color, including a decent amount of char. And a more artisan appearance, maybe more along the lines of the NY elite style, and often requiring unique oven configurations beyond a standard home oven with a simple pizza stone. Although I personally like a somewhat thicker crust for the NY style in my home oven and arrangement, over time I have steered others to lower thickness factor values that are more representative of the NY style.

What I would personally like to see is an 18" NY street or slice style pizza in the classic mold--and baked on a stone surface. Although I once said that 16" was a common NYC size, which I confirmed by looking at the menus of some of the more popular NYC pizza shops, I was told by members in the know that the most common sizes are 14" and 18". If a member can come up with a great looking photo of a real 14", 16" or 18" NYC street or slice style pizza, preferably along with a dough formulation that is detailed enough for our members to use, I would consider adding it to the links to photos in Reply 5 in this thread.

Peter

how about this 16" i made the other day?

Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2010, 10:13:18 AM »
Looks very NY ish to me ! He is my version of NY style. 1 pep. and 1 just a little dark on crust? Ray's  (Original brooklyn pizza?) in Closter NJ does a 21" pie for slice and sale. One  slice covers and entire plate!
JOhn
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:20:14 AM by JConk007 »

Offline PietroUK

• Pizzablog.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2010, 06:48:05 AM »
Just wanted to say, this forum - and this thread in particular - make me so damn hungry all the time. My mouth is watering. I'm going to be the size of a house before too long!

Offline PietroUK

• Pizzablog.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 07:54:53 AM »
What are all of your favourite pizza photos posted in the last few months?

Bring them to me!!  :)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 02:36:29 PM »
What are all of your favourite pizza photos posted in the last few months?

PietroUK,

Actually, I do add new entries to the list from time to time. For example, not long ago I added links to some of the photos of pizzas made by Jackie Tran (Chau), Jet_deck (Gene), dellavecchia (John), and a few other members. I generally look for pizzas that both look good and were successful, not just pretty. Some members are so good that just about all of their pizzas could be featured. I have tried to compartmentalize the pizza styles with enough granularity to be able to add more entries to the list. I think we are still shy on certain types, like the Chicago deep-dish style, which I hope to rectify in due course. I don't look at every photo of a pizza as a candidate for inclusion in the list. Usually a photo will jump out at me to remind me to think about adding more entries to the list. The whole objective is to show people how good our members are at what they do. It is best not to look at the photos on an empty stomach.

Peter

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011, 03:00:09 PM »
It is best not to look at the photos on an empty stomach.

Peter

Or on a full stomach, while eating a pizza for that matter.... :-D

Also good for figuring out what kind of pizza you are after. Never heard of a "Detroit Style" before I came here. But that is my target pizza for now..

Offline PietroUK

• Pizzablog.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2011, 03:10:32 PM »
Thanks for letting me know Pete-zza, and a big thank you for all the effort you put into this forum - its much appreciated! :) :)

Offline hammettjr

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2011, 03:05:59 PM »
How about Anarchy? 16 pages and counting...

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11391.300.html

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2011, 10:27:25 PM »
Matt,

Thank you. That's a good thread with a lot of good photos. I will review the thread for the next batch of entries (I just added a bunch recently).

Peter

pizzapan