Author Topic: How long will Buffalo Mozzarella last?  (Read 6271 times)

Offline garyd

How long will Buffalo Mozzarella last?
« on: March 21, 2009, 09:51:37 PM »
I bought some Bubalus Bubalis Buffalo Mozzarella that has a buy by date of today, March 21st. How long will it last refrigerated?

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
Re: How long will Buffalo Mozzarella last?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 10:12:27 PM »
I would use it tonight or tomorrow... I've never had the pleasure of buying that brand, but the comparable fresh mozz we sold in the deli had a VERY short shelf life, in fact, the shortest on my entire cheese table.

The longer you go beyond that date, the more the cheese will degrade.  Even the trip home in your car, out of refrigeration, will help push it over the edge.

You didn't say when you bought it, but if you bought it today, I hope it was marked WAY down....

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline garyd

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 06:39:14 AM »
I would use it tonight or tomorrow... I've never had the pleasure of buying that brand, but the comparable fresh mozz we sold in the deli had a VERY short shelf life, in fact, the shortest on my entire cheese table.

The longer you go beyond that date, the more the cheese will degrade.  Even the trip home in your car, out of refrigeration, will help push it over the edge.

You didn't say when you bought it, but if you bought it today, I hope it was marked WAY down....

~sd

I bought it yesterday, March 21st, and yes I got it for half off. Will it smell spoiled when it is no longer usable or will it just get soft and more liquidy. Do you tell when it is bad by smell or by texture?

Offline Matthew

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 07:30:20 AM »

I bought it yesterday, March 21st, and yes I got it for half off. Will it smell spoiled when it is no longer usable or will it just get soft and more liquidy. Do you tell when it is bad by smell or by texture?

If it's bad, you will be able to smell it right away.  If you're unsure, just taste it; it'll be really sour tasting.

Matt

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 03:52:36 PM »
If it's bad, you will be able to smell it right away.  If you're unsure, just taste it; it'll be really sour tasting.

Matt

It will also start to get "slippery" and bubbles will start to form.... and yes, it will be very sour, like spoiled milk instead of sweet milk.

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline garyd

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 06:15:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

This Bubalus Bubalis Buffalo Mozzarella is really great stuff. I found a place that stocks a huge selection at reasonable prices. $6.99 for a ball and $2.99 if it's a day or two away from the buy by date.

pizzapan