Author Topic: Bag Cheese vs. Block Cheese vs. Grande Cheese.....HELP!  (Read 17983 times)

Offline trapin

Bag Cheese vs. Block Cheese vs. Grande Cheese.....HELP!
« on: January 27, 2009, 08:52:07 AM »
I am wondering if anyone here has had any success with bag cheese (i.e Sargento, Kraft).  I thought I had read that it being part skim and coated in cellulose powder makes the cheese mushy.  If there is an alternative I'd love to hear about it, or maybe there is an affordable block cheese that is out there.  I have read on here that Grande is the best block cheese but where can you buy it?  I've looked for it at all the supermarkets and specialty markets in my area and nobody carries it (I'm in the Detroit area).  Can you buy it online?

Thanks for your help.

Offline Mad_Ernie

Re: Bag Cheese vs. Block Cheese vs. Grande Cheese.....HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 09:18:42 AM »
Trapin:

If you want to buy Grande cheese on-line, here is a weblink that might serve you well not only for cheese but other ingredients as well
http://www.pennmac.com/page/27

You might also just try typing in "Grande Mozzarella" into a search engine of your choice and see what you get.

I have never used Grande cheese.  I generally find the best block of mozzarella and other cheeses that I can and use those.  Lately, my two most common brands have been a generic called "Best Choice" which I can get at any local supermarket here, and "Sorrento" (not Sargento), which I can get in big blocks at Costco.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 10:14:43 AM »
trapin,

As I noted recently at Reply 31 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7671.msg66365.html#msg66365, some time ago (2003) Cook's Illustrated did a taste test of preshredded and block mozzarella cheeses and the tasters surprisingly liked the preshredded cheeses when used on pizzas. But they had likes and dislikes for both the preshredded and block forms of cheeses. Cheeses, like sauces, have a strong personal taste component, so my best advice is to try different cheeses, both preshredded and block, and see which form and brand you like best.

Peter

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 10:21:41 AM »
I am wondering if anyone here has had any success with bag cheese (i.e Sargento, Kraft).  I thought I had read that it being part skim and coated in cellulose powder makes the cheese mushy. 

Grande shredded and diced cheese don't use the cellulose powder. They claim that's why you get superior "stringing". etc.

- Al

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 10:29:54 AM »
Trapin,
I had  made pizza for years using the "bagged" cheese. Then found a larger shred ( chefs cut ) variety on the bag cheese that was a touch better, and had some great results. I have tried the Grande 50/50 Mozz and provelone diced (from pennmac) but it was in my 800+ WFO and cheese cooked way too fast. I have yet to try straight Grande in the home oven but plan to do soon (Block Form). Now I only use block cheese (Prefer Sorrento whole milk also) and shred my own. I found a grater with a larger hole that makes for some wonderful thicker longer pieces. I see a lot of local pizzerias using a larger shred in their Bucket o cheese. Another thing I do often is add a touch, very little,of the provelone or Cheddar (self shred) just for some color and variety. Peter has also recommended dicing in the food processor the block cheese. Over time I plan to do a side by side on that shred vs bag and dice vs shred to compare finish cooking and texture and tongue feel. I dont think there Will be much difference. I hear the Polly O is OK too. Like peter mentioned very personal. Just try em, but do shred em you self.
My thoughts. wow 2 replies since typing
John
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 10:33:12 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 05:44:56 PM »
I greatly prefer blocks over pre-shredded cheese. As soon as you shred cheese, you begin to lose flavor and continue to lose flavor the older it gets.  I hand shred all of my cheese every day. A couple of weeks ago the company I get my cheese from had to send me some pre-shredded mozzarella because they were out of the full fat mozzarella in blocks. It had much less flavor than the blocks I usually get and a completely different texture. It is stringier but that's because the cheese dries out faster when it is pre-shredded. I personally don't like a stringy mozzarella.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 08:50:16 PM »
I have been useing Grande Cheese for over a year.
I will never change because it taste the best.
I put my pizza in the oven at 500-550 and within 7 mins the pie and chesse
comes out great.
Since I buy my chesse by the case,I frezze what I don't use.
You can only find Grande at you local Distributor....
Believe me you will go though a case in no time.I even give 5lb bags to my friends and everyone loves the chesse......JT

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 02:19:03 PM »
Do you have a Sam's Club in your area?

If so, they sell 5# bags of Stella Part-Skim Shredded Mozzarella that is truly amazing on a NY-style pizza (IMHO)... it has become my favorite cheese... it tastes great, freezes well, and is relatively inexpensive from Sam's Club.

I also buy the Stella sliced provolone cheese from Sam's Club. I'll use two or three slices (torn into pieces) applied on top of the sauce, then apply the mozzarella... I'm guessing it works out to something like 1/3 provolone to 2/3 mozzarella.

Yummy stuff!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Imaginate

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 11:35:29 PM »
I always use blocks of cheese and I shred what I need just prior to baking my pizzas.  When I first started making pizza I used a bag of Sargento shredded mozzarella one time.  It started to burn at 550 in about 1 minute and it was a complete disaster.  Cheese is not something you can compromise on IMO.  And if you look at the prices (at least around here), low moisture mozz at $6/lb for the decent stuff that's made over in WI, is barely more expensive than the pre-shredded junk, so why not buy the good stuff?

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 12:08:52 AM »
Trap
In the Detroit area:

Vince & Joes
Garfield & Canal in Clinton Township carries Grande in chunks cut off blocks for about 6.50 lb.  Another location at Van Dyke near 25 mile. 

Check this place out, I like their whole milk mozz and its like 2.89 lb.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=61c6af04a926873f50625443c7e1d6e9&topic=8012.0

Roselli's on Groesbeck just N of 14 mile is an Italian restaurant/pizzeria supply.  Lots of cheeses in every form and they will cut & sell you half blocks, no Grande but also really low prices.

Gordon Food Services are all over the place.  I seem to recall reading here that some folks liked their cheese.

BTW between Vince & Joes & Roselli's you will find dang near every tomato brand & type mentioned in this forum plus lots of ingredients and tools.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 08:40:57 PM »
$6.50 a lb,,,,wow.........I would never pay that
And it would cost a tad over $40 for a loaf of 7lbs.....

I would find a Distrubutor witha Cash and carry
and get a case with 8 loafs for around $100........

Too me its worth looking a tad........Grande mmmmmmmmm.....JQ

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 09:00:43 PM »
Great googley moogely that's like a buck seventy nine a pound!  OK JQ, I am convinced.  I will pony up for a chunk of Grande and check it out.  If it's anywhere near as good for me as you and so many others have described, the search for a local distributor shall begin.  Thanks!

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 12:07:37 AM »
HA HA HA
there are so many chesse out there.......
Many don't used Grande because the price is a tad higher.
So many places use the cheaper chesse and make a few cents more....

To us the one's that don't make pizza for a living.
I feel for a few cents more its well worth getting the best if you can..
The best is a distributor......
I paid $63 for Dice Grande Chesse WM  30 lbs 6 bags at 5lbs each.
Since Grande is sooooo cheap
I give Half away to friends for free.
This friday
I have my brother coming over....
I will have to buy more Grande.Since I supply him with it lol.
I will be buying a case of Diced WM and a case of WM  Loafs........
Most will be given away but I think I will have enough till the Fall of 2009.(Freeze chesse}

As I said I am sure if you look at a Cash and Carry Distributor in you area,you will
find the geat deals on Grande chesse.
Call Grande up and see where are your local distributor in your area.....
Sorry about my spelling,,,its the wine...................Got to go and make a peperonni roll....JT

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 01:42:19 AM »
JT,

what is the dough formula you use in order to support that kind of cheese?
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 08:12:58 AM »
I also use the Stella 5lb block from Sam's for about 12-13 bucks. I would much rather shred or dice my own. I find over all the pre-shredded is much dryer and not as good as block cheese and for the money the Stella from Sam's is a pretty good deal for a very good cheese. Also, I cut it into 1lb chunks or so and triple wrap in plastic wrap and it freezes quite well with no noticeable loss in quality after thawing.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Kemosa

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 07:30:32 PM »
I use Grande East Coast Blend (diced) and about 20% provolone that I shred from block.  IMO, the Grande is far superior to any cheese that I bought from Sam's, Costco, and BJ's....tried them all and I would personally rate the wholesale store products as just "ok".  Grande Is a fairly salty cheese.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 08:11:49 PM »
I hear Stella is a good brand if you cannot get grande......
I used to use the East Coast Blend Diced but I think the Whole Milk taste better in Diced.
Now I am also going to also get a case on WM grande loafs along wiith a case of WM diced on
friday.Geeee I cannot wait lol

As for my Dough
I am kinda lazy to make mine.....
I buy a case of Dough balls (30} when I am at walmarts.
The dough balls cost $1.12 each so to me its worth buying a whole case at a time.
The Dough Balls are made Frozen by Pepes in Upstate NY somewhere...
The Dough makes great Pizza and pepperoni rolls.

Only thing I am missing is the greatest sauce
I know what the taste of the sauce should be but have no idea how to make it.....
I will pay anyone that can tell me how Joe and Pats in Staten Island NY makes their sauce.......JT

http://slice.seriouseats.com/tags/Joe%20and%20Pat%27s