Author Topic: Substitute for KASL ?  (Read 2164 times)

Offline WestCountry

Substitute for KASL ?
« on: December 07, 2008, 04:42:45 PM »
Hi All,
I have been wanting to try some recipes calling for KASL.

I am considering a purchase of flour named "Boulder" from Rocky Mountain Milling, as a potential KASL substitute since its local.

Here's some detail I got from the company:

$29.75 per 50lb bag.
I was told by the company the "Boulder" Flour is an Organic flour meaning there were no pesticides used on the crop that harvested the wheat. Here's more description in the URL:
http://www.bsm.com/rockymountainmilling/

-Does anyone have experience with this company/product?
-I wonder if it will make a good substitute for KASL?

Thanks,
Chris

Offline Trogdor33

Re: Substitute for KASL ?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 08:52:40 PM »
I have been using 1 Cup KABF and 1 TB Bob's Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten (as per one of Pete-zza's recipes) and been getting great results. I am just an amateur pizza geek though.
For all you non-geeks who may be wondering what the name trogdor is all about, have a look here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Offline WestCountry

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 02:17:19 PM »
Trogdor33,

Thanks - I will try that.

I recently purchased the KASL and made some wonderful pizza and bialy's with the high gluten flour. In fact it was the best pizza crust ever!
 I got each 5 pound bag for around $6.50, but it cost me $10 in shipping. So I think I might try your suggestion above since I can get the King Arthur Bread Flour locally.

Chris

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 04:00:49 PM »
Chris:

Not sure how set you are on using KASL or the Boulder from Rocky Mountain Milling (I'd give that a try), but I order my flours from Barry Farms on-line:

http://www.barryfarm.com/flours.htm

I've used their unbleached high-gluten flour in 5-lb bags for almost a year now and have not been disappointed.  Costs me $15 total, including the shipping.  I buy my semolina and other specialty flours from them, as well.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline WestCountry

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 09:48:18 AM »
ME,

Thanks so much for another resource!

Out of all the flours I have tried (All purpose, Bread, High Gluten) the Higher gluten is best to my taste buds for NY Style in kitchen ovens. Not to mention I made some awesome Bialys also with this flour, and at some point will try bagels. I will certainly be ordering more.

Chris

Offline dan f.

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 09:28:54 PM »
My experience basically dovetails with Trogdor33. I use 1 tbsp VWG for 2.5 cups of KABF, 1/4 tsp IDY, 1 tsp each oil/salt and a bit over a cup (1 1/4 cup) water and I'm getting dough that's extensible, even toss-able like a good NY pizzeria. VWG is a good answer for those of us who love homemade pizza but aren't up to getting KASL for one reason or another. (In may case, don't want to spend the money for a 5 lb bag and don't want to commit to a 50 lb bag.) I also based my use of VWG on a Pete-zza recipe. Recently added a tbsp of honey plus a little more yeast (maybe 1/2 tsp) to above per a Peter Reinhart recipe from ``American Pie'' and was equally happy with the result.