Author Topic: Resources for pizza making supplies  (Read 4846 times)

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
Resources for pizza making supplies
« on: January 27, 2009, 01:17:14 PM »
I have been cruising this board heavily for several weeks trying to learn the art of making a great pizza at home.  The info on this page is outstanding, I've learned alot.  However, now that I'm ready to start experimenting, I'm having a tough time finding any supplies here locally in N. Idaho.  I dont know if it's just because I live in the "boonies" or if other people on here order via internet but I cant hardly find any ingredients locally.  I'm looking for Grande cheese, KASL flour, semolina flour and Stanislaus sauce to no avail.  I was surprised to find King Arthur flour in the local grocery stores, although they dont carry the Sir Lancelot. which seems to be popular to get that nice charring effect in a conventional oven.  Anyway, was just curious if most people got their supplies local becasue they live in alot bigger cities or if there is a good place to order off the net that might carry all these specific items?  I have checked out penmac.com but cant find all the items I'm looking for and don't know how much shipping might run from there.  They do have a nice line of products though.  Any help would be appreciated! 
Tony
"You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - John Wooden

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Resources for pizza making supplies
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 02:29:41 PM »
Pizzacrazy7,

Where you live makes a big difference but the problems you have been experiencing aren't limited to small, out-of-the way places. I live just outside of Dallas and have a hard time finding the best ingredients.

You won't find the KASL at the retail supermarket level. You can order the KASL from King Arthur but the total cost after shipping is outrageous. That is one of the reasons I decided to go with the King Arthur bread flour, which is sold in many supermarkets. If I feel that I need more protein, I just use some vital wheat gluten with the King Arthur bread flour.

For the most part, the 6-in-1s and the Stanislaus tomatoes aren't sold in supermarkets, but there are some Italian food markets and an occasional supermarket that stock them, if you are fortunate enough to live near them. You can also purchase the 6-in-1s directly from Escalon at escalon.net. Finding the Grande cheeses locally at the retail level will also be a huge challenge, although there are some Italian markets that carry one or more of the Grande cheeses. But not finding the Grande cheeses is not the end of the world. Not everyone loves the Grande cheeses and there are other high-quality mozzarella cheeses. You will just have to test the brands near you to find the best of the choices available to you.

Where in Idaho do you live? I recall that we had a member with a pizza shop in Idaho and I know that he procured his supplies from a foodservice company that served his area. Maybe you can get some supplies from a local pizza operator, or possibly from a foodservice company willing to sell to individuals on a cash-and-carry basis. Most don't but some do. You might also look to your west rather than to the east to find places that stock the ingredients you are looking for. At least the shipping charges should be less.

Peter

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 03:00:41 PM »
Pete,
      I live in Coeur d' Alene, ID, it's up North close to Spokane, WA.  Where do you get the vital wheat gluten?  I want to create a Neapolitan/NY style and I know my oven doesnt get hot enough for a neapolitan so I'm going to try kind of a cross.  I love the charred effect on pizzas so I will need high gluten from what I've learned on here. 
      Stanislaus did tell me who the local distributors were but they are for commercial and I think only sell by the case.  One of the local distributors carries the sauce I want but their cash and carry branch doesnt carry any more.  I've emailed them asking them to stock but have not got a response yet. 
      As far as the cheese, we do have a local(out of Oregon) brand called Tillamook which is a really good cheese but I havent tried it on pizza yet.  What exactly am I looking for as far as whole or skim cheese so it will not brown. 
      Thanks for all your help.  You are definately a pizza conisure and I have alot to learn.  I want to attempt your "JerryMac's NY Style".  It looked fantastic!  Anyway, thanks again.
"You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - John Wooden

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 03:13:30 PM »
Pizzacrazy7,

Vital wheat gluten is sold in many supermarkets (at least near me) and upscale food stores. The most common brands are Bob's Red Mill, Hodgson Mill and Arrowhead Mills. They are also sold by mail order.

I have found that a whole milk mozzarella cheese, like the Grande, for example, holds up better during baking without getting a crusty brown skin but I have also had some part-skim mozzarella cheeses that have also held up well during baking. It also depends on the type of pizza you are making. If the bake time is too long, even the best cheeses can break down during baking and turn brown.

Peter

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 03:20:36 PM »
PC7,

Shipping could be pricey across the country, but you should find most if not all of what you need at pennmac. Here is their pizza maker page-
http://www.pennmac.com/page/27

I don't want to do a commercial for them, but they have been great whenever I used them.

Jeff

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 07:52:46 PM »
The 6 in 1 tomatos are available from Escalon at a very resonable price.
https://www.escalon.net/shop.aspx
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

pizzapan