Author Topic: Woohooo just got a sheeter for $300.00 - gonna try the DKM on it tomorrow.  (Read 5941 times)

Offline pcuezze

I'm accumulating equipment for a (hopefully) upcoming pizza equipment.  A sheeter for under $1000.00 has been pretty illusive when today I stumbled upon one on craigslist for $300.00.  It's an older, single pass Anets but is in working order.  The rollers need a good cleaning and some tlc, but hey it's $300.00!!

I'm going to mix a coupe batches of this low hydration dough and see how it turns out in the sheeter.  I'll report tomorrow and give some pics.  While I'm at it, did anyone see the Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives in Minneapolis with the killer meat Pizza - bacon (14 pieces, I think) Italian sausage, pepperoni, and meatballs?  I made one of these on a DKM crust the other day and was amazed how well it held up.  I cut it in squares and it was truly excellent. 

More to report tomorrow.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
I am envious!!!  :chef:
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
 No sheet! great deal ;D
Guess I'll just keep  " rollin rollin rollin, keep that pin a rollin, roll on"
Oh what is the upcoming pizza equipment you speak of?
John

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 09:20:00 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
How neat would that be to have a  sheeter in your kitchen.

I wonder if one of those floor, vinyl rollers would work?

Randy

Offline pcuezze

Just wanted to update everyone on my current venture.  I'm about to sign a lease for my own pizza shoppe and will be using a dough based Devon's low-hydration dough (in addition to a traditional chicago style pan-pizza). 

For your purposes here, I use the DKM recipe to create 2  14" skins (2 pizzas per 1lb of flour).  Because I have a single-roller sheeter with no scrapers, I have to be very careful to prevent dough stuck to the roller.  I have learned to cheat on the amount of flour in the dough which allows me to introduce some flour on the sheeter.  I pass the dough through the sheeter 5-6 times to acheive a rough skin.  If I use high-gluten flour I have to use a rolling pin to get the final skin size (it shrinks back a bit) but the final product is otherwise identical using all-purpose, bread, or high-gluten. 

This skin gets folded in quarters and placed in a zip-loc bag for storage (unless i'm using it right away).  The skins have gone as long as 36 hours with good results. 

I dock the dough, prepare it (sauce is still in-the-works) and top it with diced grande part-skim.  The paddle gets dusted with Semolina and placed directly on a hot stone (550) on the bottom rack.  The pizza takes 7 minutes in my home oven (I crack the door frequently to cycle the oven and prevent the top from over-cooking).

Although more tedious, this method in my home oven produces a near identical result to that achieved on my Blodgett Deck oven.  For a much different and equally delicious crust, try stacking two skins and docking them together.  You end up with a flaky crust that has lots of snap on the bottom. 

I can't tell you how many of these I've cooked and everyone thinks the crust is spectacular.  It holds up well to toppings, even on my Butcher of Longview Pizza (6 different meats - all cooked raw except bacon). 

A couple tips I forgot as I typed - 1.  Dress the pizza all the way to the edge.  Otherwise, it's a mess.  2.  Cut it in squares - it tastes better that way! :)  3. Place it on a cooling rack of some sort for a minute or so once its out of the oven (I use a spare oven rack).  This causes the pizza to stay crisp far longer after it is cut.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone else's results, particularly regarding doubling up the skins.  I hope to use this as a buffet pizza during lunch as I'm near a community college of 8000 students and want a pizza that fills them up on bread a bit more than the cracker-style and I don't dare try to keep too much chicago style on the buffet at 5.99...

Thanks to everyone again for all the great ideas on this forum.  It has been invaluable in taking my pizzas to the next level.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
pcuezze,

Congratulations on your progress to open up a pizza shop. I wish you the very best.

You indicated that you are using one pound of flour for two 14" pizzas. Is there any scrap left after forming the 14" skins? Have you calculated the thickness factors for the skins? Also, are you storing the folded skins in the cooler?

One thought that occurred to me with respect to using high-gluten flour is that you might consider using some PZ-44 in your dough. That is something that is often done by professionals who experience "buckiness" with their high-gluten doughs. You might note that PZ-44 is an ingredient listed in the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html. As noted there, the recommended amount of PZ-44 is 1-2% of the flour weight. For background purposes, see http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1499.msg13649/topicseen.html#msg13649 and the Pizza Glossary entry "PZ-44" at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_glossary.html#P.

Peter

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Pcuezze
I have two suggestions for you, at least to experiment with.  Instead of sheeting individual skins, try rolling out sheets of dough, and using a stencil to cut out the sizes of skins you need.  You will find that there is hardly any snap back using this method.  You can stack the skins between sheets of parchment or even wax type paper in between two inverted pizza trays when refrigerating. 

John

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
This economy has supplied an intense list of pizza joints/fast food places going out of business, which is sad, but an opportunity on craigslist to get decent equipment at low prices. I am hoping to be as lucky as you.

Offline pcuezze

Peter - there is a little scrap - about 50 grams total per 1 bounds of flour.  I hadn't actually calculated the thickness factor yet...

I do store the folded skins in the cooler.  My plan for the restaurant is to stack them in a large bag and store them in the make-table.  I have not yet needed to separate them with paper as they do not seem to stick together much at all.  That's a good call about the dough relaxer and I keep forgetting to order it when I'm at the Restaurant Depot.  Growing up, my family owned a bakery and we used a dough relaxer with really good results.  I'm excited to try it and thanks for the links...

John,

I'll try sheeting the dough in length.  I really need a scraper for this sheeter though as the dough seems to wrap itself around the roller about 20% of the time when I try to go to thin.  I may have to splurge for a newer double pass :(

Illbuddy,

I have definitely taken advantage of some incredible grey-market deals.  Last week, I found a restaurant closing in Southern Missouri and bought - 12' of hood with ansel, a walk-in, a 3 door reach-in freezer, 2-door reach in cooler, 4 burner range w/griddle and salamander, 36" griddle, steam table, make table, 2 40 lb fryers, a slicer, several equip stands, and 2 prep tables for $5000.00 total.

It was a bear moving it all and it'll be even worse to clean (gonna rent a kettle fired pressure washer) but the hood and walk-in alone are worth it...

Thanks for all the help and I'll keep you guys posted...

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude

Thanks for all the help and I'll keep you guys posted...

Please do!!! Good luck!

Offline zenoptic

Re: Woohooo just got a sheeter for $300.00 - gonna try the DKM on it tomorrow.
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 03:40:42 AM »

A couple tips I forgot as I typed - 1.  Dress the pizza all the way to the edge.  Otherwise, it's a mess.  2.  Cut it in squares - it tastes better that way! :) 

Just like we use to do back in "da region" when I was making pies!!  Love it that way.  Good luck.

pizzapan