Author Topic: Cutting on a peel?  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Grilling24x7

• Grilling 24x7
Cutting on a peel?
« on: March 21, 2009, 08:09:31 AM »
Does anyone cut their pizza directly on the peel?  Or are you just using the peel as a transport device.

Last night I pulled my pizza out and then thought, 'uh oh, where to I put it now?'   :o

I just let it rest on the peel and then I cut it on the peel.  Not only did this put very minor cut marks in the peel but there are grease stains on the peel now too.

Now I read that I shouldn't use soap....  :-X

John

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Cutting on a peel?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 08:43:48 AM »
John,

You shouldn't cut pizzas on a wooden peel since that will only damage it over time. You want the surface of the peel to be smooth, not filled with scratches from the pizza cutter that might impede loading pizzas into the oven. I personally use either a butcher block or a serving pan. There are also special cutting boards for that purpose but they are usually quite expensive.

Peter

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 02:53:44 PM »
Do not damage at least 1 side. But I cut em all my pies on the peel ,after getting excited and cutting I realized what I had done so now its my cutting board peel on 1 side I use when taking the pizzas out the other side of both  I keep prestine! The extra peel was cheaper than a large cutting board.
john
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 03:07:31 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 03:19:42 PM »
Take a fine grit sandpaper with a vibrating/orbital sander and refinish it. Then several lite coats of mineral oil to seal it up and she'll be good as new. Also use a brush and vacuum to get all the sawdust off before the mineral oil treatment.

Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 03:41:20 PM »
Jon ,
The other side is perfect / great on both, not a scrsatch. so I use these sides for cutting.
john
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com