Author Topic: What is Sicilian Pizza?  (Read 6347 times)

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
What is Sicilian Pizza?
« on: December 06, 2010, 12:09:28 PM »
I understand it's a deep dish pie. In searching around I found one description that said it has no cheese! Is there a single basic definition? I realize there is probably an old world way of making them that has evolved over time. What makes your pie a Sicilian and how is that different than a Chicago deep dish?

Thanks,
jb

Offline Jose L. Piedra

• Ebeddu e cavuru, e beddu davveru!
Re: What is Sicilian Pizza?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 12:57:14 PM »
The broadest general definition of a Sicilian is a pizza based on a thick, foccaccia-like dough baked in an oiled pan, usually at around 450 degrees. The authentically Sicilian version of this style is made with semolina flour and topped with tomatoes and breadcrumbs, with optional Caciovallo cheese and/or anchovies. The transnational version is made with standard pizza flour and topped with just about anything; in America, tomato sauce and mozzarella, in generous quantities, is typical. Sicilian pizza in all its expressions and variants is radically different from the Chicago deep-dish style.

JLP
Scarsu d'ogghiu, e riccu di provolazzu ::)

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 06:48:48 PM »
After reading your post and looking at some pics I have a good idea how different they are. Is the crust a light or chewy crust?

Thanks,
jb

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 07:27:41 PM »
I understand it's a deep dish pie. In searching around I found one description that said it has no cheese! Is there a single basic definition? I realize there is probably an old world way of making them that has evolved over time. What makes your pie a Sicilian and how is that different than a Chicago deep dish?

Thanks,
jb

jb,

Matt does make delicious Sicilian pies.  :)  In this whole thread, there are different Sicilian pies made by Matt and me.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9946.0.html  To me the Sicilian pies are very light and airy.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 05:24:29 PM »
After reading your post and looking at some pics I have a good idea how different they are. Is the crust a light or chewy crust?

Thanks,
jb

jb,

In my sicilian, the crust is cooked in an olive oil laden pan, so the bottom of the pie "fries" and is cruchy and brown, but the crust is soft and light.  I parbake.

Jack

Offline Jose L. Piedra

• Ebeddu e cavuru, e beddu davveru!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 06:24:30 PM »

Thanks,
jb

Sorry for not replying sooner, I totally forgot I even posted in this thread.

There's an enormous range of variation, from very light and airy to very dense and chewy. The lightest ones are the hardest to make and the easiest to eat. However, some people like the dense and chewy ones, since they'll get you very full very fast when hungry, which makes them attractive as fast-food. It's a matter of preference, I guess.

JLP
Scarsu d'ogghiu, e riccu di provolazzu ::)

pizzapan