Author Topic: Caputo flour found in Denver area!  (Read 5837 times)

Offline garyd

Caputo flour found in Denver area!
« on: January 29, 2009, 04:23:47 AM »
A little Italian market in Westminster Colorado (suburb of Denver) has 5 lb bags of Atimo Caputo Flour.

The market is "Valente's Deli and Bakery on 7250 Meade Street
Westminster, CO 80030
(303) 429-0590

Offline garyd

Re: Caputo flour found in Denver area!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 05:55:30 AM »
A little Italian market in Westminster Colorado (suburb of Denver) has 5 lb bags of Atimo Caputo Flour.

The market is "Valente's Deli and Bakery on 7250 Meade Street
Westminster, CO 80030
(303) 429-0590

Correction: 2.2 lb bags.

Offline WestCountry

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 07:03:14 AM »
Thanks Garyd...good to know...will check that out since I'm local!

Offline WestCountry

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 01:57:51 PM »
I just went by this Deli this morning. I really enjoyed seeing this Italian Deli tucked in a Denver suburb.

They were out of the Caputo flour, but looks like they will get more in.

They had a good selection of canned tomatoes. I picked up (their last few cans of) Escalon 6 in 1's and tried a can Pastene since I heard they were pretty good on this forum. They had some other Italian imports (I had never seen) as well as Cento and Sclafani. They also had a few brands of San Marzano. If anyone is really interested I can get the exact brand and varieties next time I swing by, just let me know.

:)

Offline DenverGoombah

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 02:41:04 PM »
I am in the Denver and have a few things to share....and ask.
I have found Sclafani San Marzano(DOC) tomatoes in a few places around town. Marczyks on 17th has it but charges 7 per can. Carbone's on 38th has them for 4 a can. Carbone's also has the best sausage I have had in Colorado, not to mention a very good deli counter at a reasonable price. If you haven't been to Carbone's its worth a visit. Rose reminds me of my Italian grandmother and will make you feel very at home...........moving on
 Carmine Lenardos in Lakewood also has these items but charges you a little bit more. Marczyks just got in a Farina 00 flour in 2.2 lb bags. I made a pizza with this flour and it was good, almost a cracker type crust. However, I still didn't think it was as good as Marcos who I know uses the Molino Caputo typo 00 flour. I know you found the attimo flour at Valentes(haven't been there yet), but is it correct for pizza? How were the results? I
 have been on quite the quest to find crust here that compares to Italy. Marcos has been my gold standard to test against but haven't been able to quite get there.(I also realize I don't have ovens like them).
I do go down to Gaglianos in Pueblo every now and them so I will check for the Molino flour next time I go. I also have looked in the Springs with no avail. Whole foods is...well....I'll be nice and stay quiet, but no luck there either.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Major Icehole

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 02:55:12 PM »
Wow, this is really awesome news.  They're pretty close to where I live too.  Can't wait to get over there.

Offline WestCountry

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 11:12:48 PM »
I was at Valente's today picking up some canned tomatoes. I saw they have the small red 2.2lb bags in stock called "The Chef's Flour". I believe this is the same as the Molino Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour, and its just repackaged into the smaller size red bags (if I am understanding this thread correctly below):

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7191.msg62063.html#msg62063

I use the Molino Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour about once per week, with great results, at high heat range (800-1000 degrees F).

pizzapan