Author Topic: What type of Pizza is this Pan good for ?  (Read 1685 times)

Offline haybot

What type of Pizza is this Pan good for ?
« on: January 30, 2009, 08:40:27 AM »
Hey everyone, I'm 21 Years old and made my first Pizza roughly with at an age of 12 years.
At first i want to thank everyone who i contributing to this site which hopefully will help me to get my Pizza to the next level ;D

Unfortunatly i'm from germany and there are not many Pizza Accessories sold here. Last april i've been to Chicago on Vacation and bought this Pan right here:

Ok, i cant add a link to my post so its called Hamilton Beach 14 Inch Pizza Pan with Silicone Handles and is avaibale from kitchencollectionDOTcom.

Is it good for any the Pizza Types discussed on here or should i try to get a deeper Pan and a pizzastone to really go pro ;)?
I'll try the pizza hut pan pizza recipe tomorrow and let you know how it turned out.

Thanks it advance!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: What type of Pizza is this Pan good for ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 09:57:53 AM »
haybot,

Here is the link: http://www.kitchencollection.com/Temp_Products.cfm?sku=00231163&RankThis=Y&Searched=hamilton%20pizza%20pan&.

I'm not sure what kind of pizza you can make effectively in such a pan because it has a nonstick surface, which typically limits the baking temperature to about 450 degrees F (about 232 degrees C.). Above that temperature, you may experience outgassing or breakdown of the coating. If you stay below that temperature you may be all right but a pizza that is intended to be baked at a higher temperature may not turn out with the standard characteristics. You rarely get much out of a pizza pan that sells for only $6.99.

Peter

Offline haybot

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 10:15:11 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

Well my Oven wont go much higher than 450F so thats no problem. I want to try the Pizza Hut Pan Pizza recipe by xPHmgr.

Before that i just used it to make something like an average pizza which doesn't really fit in any categorie. Thats why i asked, my first goal is to get the Pizza Hut Pizza right. Are Deep Dish Pans used for the Pizza Hut style Pizza? And is it essential from what material they are made?

Oh and btw your guide on hand kneading is really really helpfull. Following it step by step i didn't have any problems with dough sticking to my hands! :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 10:18:13 AM by haybot »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:43:13 AM »
haybot,

I once calculated that xPHmgr's dough recipe makes around 37 ounces of dough. From what another PH employee reported on the forum some time ago, PH uses 22 ounces of dough for a 14" deep dish pizza. Since PH has gone to frozen dough in the U.S., it is not clear whether the same dough weight is now being used for their pan pizzas. But if you go with the rules in place when PH used fresh dough, 22 ounces for a 14" pan pizza would be the amount of dough to use.

You are unlikely to be able to use your Hamilton pizza pan with 37 ounces of dough. You may even have trouble with 22 ounces of dough since the pans used by PH have fairly deep sides, maybe 1 1/2". I am not sure what kind of pans PH is now using since I believe that they have gone to conveyor ovens to bake all of their pizzas. In the old days, I believe they used aluminum pans that were well seasoned from long-term use. Once in a while you can find them on eBay. Ideally, in a home setting where it takes a long time to season a bare metal pan, you want a dark pan of some sort, such as a dark, anodized pan with a PSTK coating.

If you haven't already seen it, you may want to take a look at this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6040.msg51761.html#msg51761. That thread should give you a pretty good idea as to how to make a smaller version of xPHmgr's recipe. In Reply 2 of that thread, I provided a link to a post for a recipe that makes only 22 ounces of dough.

Peter

Offline haybot

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 11:11:36 AM »
Thats the recipe i used :)

On another thread you recommended Bakalon Deep Dish Pans. akitchen.com is shipping international. Would that Pan be a good one to start with? Especially if i want to try Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza aswell?

Thanks for your help i really appreciate it.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 11:14:43 AM »
haybot,

I would say yes so long as the Bakelon finish is the dark, anodized type, not a coating. At one time, the Bakelon designation was used for both types. I don't know if that is still true.

Peter

pizzapan