Author Topic: Sourdo.com End-Starter Hydration % and Calculator  (Read 7300 times)

Offline s00da

Re: Sourdo.com End-Starter Hydration % and Calculator
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2009, 07:32:52 AM »
After 22.5 hours of cold fermentation, the dough was out and things don't look too promising as it got smaller in size. To be more precise, the top got flatter comparing to the previous dome shape.

I will leave it to come up to room temperature and then divide to 4x250g balls.

Below is the picture, sorry the lighting makes it a little hard to see.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2009, 08:55:51 AM »
After 22.5 hours of cold fermentation, the dough was out and things don't look too promising as it got smaller in size. To be more precise, the top got flatter comparing to the previous dome shape.

I will leave it to come up to room temperature and then divide to 4x250g balls.

Below is the picture, sorry the lighting makes it a little hard to see.

S00da,
I just finished a batch using Camoldoli as my only leavening agent. I did a 20 hour bulk fermentation @ 64 deg where the dough more than doubled from it's original size.  After that I formed the balls & placed them in the fridge until about an hour before I use them.  Try this with your next batch, I'm sure you will be satisfied with the results.  I'm going to make my pizzas in a few hours, I'll post some pics for you.  Keep going man, don't give up!  Once you get it you'll love the end result.;D

Matt

Offline s00da

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2009, 11:42:48 AM »
Matt,

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm actually following the 24 hours fermentation and then 4-5 hours proofing of dough balls but I had to retard the bulk in the middle for 22.5 hours.

I will be baking my pies in few hours and post an image of the rest of the experience. Let's hope all goes well  ;D

s00da

Offline s00da

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2009, 12:18:17 PM »
Final update:

Images in sequence:
1- After letting the dough in room temperature for an hour and a half, it didn't move a bit. Since the Ischia should be inactive in the fridge, that means the dough has over-fermented before.
2- Who cares right? I decided to cut it to 4x250g dough balls and put them in tupperware to let proof under 75 degrees.
3- Surprisingly, the Ischia still had life in it! After 4 hours the dough ball actually doubled in size!
4- It even showed a promising structure.

On to baking results in next post

Offline s00da

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2009, 12:31:39 PM »
Images in sequence:

Dough ball was very hard to handle and the texture was like nothing else I worked with before. It was very soft yet the gluten obviously was well developed. It was like a small feather pillow. It was hard to shape it into a circle and I think that is due to over fermentation and not spending much effort rolling the dough balls.

1- Finally one out of four looked more round than the others. Sorry for the shaky image.
2- The pizza was baked under 800+ degrees and yet it resisted initial oven spring and leoparding. After 60 seconds I decided to leave it in for 30 more seconds as the oven spring and leoparding effect accelerated at the end of the bake. Again, I think if I haven't let it over-ferment, I would have probably gotten a better oven spring.

Offline s00da

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2009, 12:42:50 PM »
3- Regardless of the fermentation and baking issues I went through, the pizza had actually an amazing structure.
4- I've never had big bubbles like this in all of my previous pizzas.
5- Even at the rim, it was really amazing how much the Ischia was able to handle all that over-fermentation and still give me a nice oven spring at the end.

There was an extra crunch comparing to my previous pizzas using ADY, I think it was due to the extra baking unless anyone else experienced an extra crunch due to the use of Ischia. The interior was still amazing and untouched, it was very light and airy.

The taste is basically great! I think that's it for my ADY recipe. With every bite, there's this burst of tanginess of sourdough and the flavor of the Ischia at 5% is truly amazing for the pizza. It was well worth the effort and very encouraging to improve on.

I hope sharing my experience, even though it was far from perfect would help others starting out using sourdough cultures and the Ischia specifically.

s00da

Offline Matthew

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2009, 04:07:31 PM »
S00da,
Good job!  You are absolutely correct in the texture & characteristic change in dough when using a wild yeast.  It takes a little getting used to when shaping but the flavor & texture is like no other.  I can't wait for the spring so that I can do some high temp bakes outdoor with Caputo instead of bread flour that I use in the winter time in my home oven. 

Matt

pizzapan