Author Topic: Oneida pizza stone, is it any good?  (Read 18880 times)

Offline F1photo1

Oneida pizza stone, is it any good?
« on: February 02, 2009, 03:13:56 PM »
Hello, I am new to this forum and I am looking for a stone. After several trips to to the big box home centers looking for unglazed quarry tiles with no success, I broadened my search to include "Kitchen" stores. I was at Bed Bath & Beyond yesterday and saw an Oneida rectangular 14x15 Pizza/Baking stone for $20. My question is; is it any good?

While reading through the forums I have noticed that many people use a top stone as well. Would the Oneida stone be a decent top stone? My thought is to use the Oneida stone as a temporary stone while continuing to look for unglazed quarry tile or a cordierite shelf, and then use it as a top stone. Or should I save my $20 and keep looking? Thank you.

Mike

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Oneida pizza stone, is it any good?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 05:10:57 PM »
Mike,
I would save it and keep on looking. A good stone can run from $50 to $150 depending on size shape and Material. This is a very important piece of the puzzle to make a good pizza. If you are choosing to use a stone A lot of members on this forum use the Fibra ment That site is www.bakingstone.com I also have seen some nice ones at www.kingarthurflour.com  and www.williams-sonoma.com Recently I saw a nice wolf oven stone (which I have) sell on ebay for $75 the retail on that with rack and peel is $225! I almost bought it for a spare!
You can purchase a screen or disk also at Pizzatools.com to get started
Good luck
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 05:28:31 PM »
I will second what John said-those things crack really easily.

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 05:44:38 PM »
I agree with Jeff & John, Don't waste your money.  The set up that I have in my oven is a corderite shelf on the bottom rack & a Fibrament stone on the upper rack.  I bake my pizza for about 4 minutes on the corderite shelf which hits about 650 degrees & then finish on the fibrament stone under the broiler for about a minute with fantastic results. :chef:

Matt

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 06:17:14 PM »
Mike,

The stuff from Bed & Bath, target and other such stores is crap. It's money out the window.

Get a nice cordierite stone for your home oven. I use a Fibra-D in the LBE but not in my home oven.

http://www.akitchen.com/store/pizza-stones.html
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 09:08:40 PM »
I used mine one time before it cracked!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 09:43:40 PM »
Heres the set up in the Wolf oven. A Nice thick  full size Brick/Stone When not using the "baking stone setting" the element and rack are removed and a plug placed in the back  where it plugs in. Makes for a great crust and holds perfect heat for at least 3-4 pizzas. thats usually break time and enough to get started.
I know I need to do a self cleaning but I would rather cook pizza :chef:
JOhn
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:45:30 PM by JConk007 »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 10:19:18 PM »
Scotty,

Which one?

The flimsy ones you can buy at Target, the Fibra-D or the Cordierite?

I wonder which stones you prefer for home oven use and LBE use, since you're in the business.  :chef:

JC,

that looks like a "Power oven" to me. The heating element is pretty thick, compared to mine.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 07:38:45 AM »
Yes the oven cranks If i set at the 550 after 45 min the IR thermometer reads 650 or more on the stone. With the other big square willy sono on top it makes for a nice set up and i can do 2 pies pefectly at once with a. Few shuffles.
John

Offline F1photo1

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 01:18:22 PM »
Thank you for your replies. It looks as though you saved me $20 or caused me to spend a bit more on a "proper" stone, depending on how you look at it.

I looked at "bakingstone.com" and I noticed they are located in Orland Park. I am originally form Orland and I live in Arlington Heights now, boy do I miss Southside pizzas, outside of Lou's I have not found a decent pizza locally. I still get out south at least once a month, and I was wondering if they have a retail store where I can purchase a stone in person?

Next question; I have a "cheap" gas oven where the broiler is in a separate compartment below. How many stones do I want? My thought was 2 stones; one on the bottom rack which the pizza sits on and one just above to help radiate heat to the top of the pizza (never thought of using the broiler to cook a pizza in). Will a stone sitting above the pizza do any good? Would I want to finish the pizza in the broiler? Would that require 3 stones or should I do away with the top stone and place it in the broiler only requiring 2 stones? If this has already been covered in another post please steer me there. Thank you.
Mike

Offline Renegade0224

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 05:24:26 PM »
I sense a little pizza stone snobbery here.  I have two of the Oneida stones and, if you follow the directions on how to use it and take care of it, there shouldn't be any problems. Plus, if it should break for any reason, it's under warranty. Mine is fantastic and, asside from some of the comments I see here, others love it!  Sure you can by a Cadillac, but my Volkeswagen works fine, thank you very much.

pizzapan