Author Topic: Modified Lahey no-knead pizza dough with whole wheat  (Read 4364 times)

Offline big_anemone

Modified Lahey no-knead pizza dough with whole wheat
« on: February 02, 2009, 07:16:38 PM »
I've been experimenting with variations on Lahey's no-knead bread dough for something like a year; I bounce back and forth between it and more traditional NY-style doughs (usually drawn from Peter Reinhart).

My experience is that it produces a light and airy crust (especially if you give it a full-length second rise), which is flavorful but not as flavorful as some.  I also use it to make a pseudo-sicilian pizza, where the dough is sitting in olive oil spread out in a cast iron skillet for the second rise.  This is a very wet dough, but you can work it -  you just need to move fast.  I put lots of semolina flour on a peel, toss flour on the dough, pick it up, give it a few stretches with rotation, then throw it on the peel, where I finish stretching it.

I'm very happy with my latest modification of the dough, which is an attempt to apply what I've learned from Reinhart's book and this forum, while keeping the idea of a very moist, no-knead dough.  Unfortunately, I have a crowded kitchen, so no baker's percentages.  I scoop and shake for all my measurements.  I know:  shame on me. 

Dry Ingredients
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1.5 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
1.5-2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast

Wet Ingredients
1.75 cups cool water (yes, really; the whole wheat soaks it up)
1 tablespoon olive oil

Mix dry ingredients thoroughly; add wet ingredients and mix until it forms a shaggy dough.  Let rest at room temperature for 15 minutes.  Divide into dough balls (I do 2, for roughly 13-14 inch pies; other might prefer more), which are coated with oil and go in plastic bags.  After 1-4 days (or more, probably), remove dough ball, let rest for 3 or so hours (at least in my cold kitchen!  I'm sure I'll halve that for the summer), then use shape into a pie -- quickly, using lots of flour and lots of semolina flour on the peel.

It makes a flavorful, chewy, healthy NY style crust with minimal effort.

pizzapan