Author Topic: Tonight's Lou. Butter flavored crisco in the pan is night and day vs oil  (Read 41389 times)

Offline Stevezilla

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza Hates Me!
Re: Tonight's Lou. Butter flavored crisco in the pan is night and day vs oil
« Reply #350 on: November 03, 2015, 09:16:56 PM »
I would like to make a really proper one of these for myself in the near future.  But for tonight I had to settle for putting together one with leftovers, and then giving it away.  Details in my pizza thread. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=39901.msg401727#msg401727

Thanks for sharing all your work, it is very helpful.  My favorite part of the mixing video is when you have to put down the camera.  Almost so easy you can make this one handed. One day i'll have to get to chicago and try one from Lou Malnatis and see how it compares.

Steve

Offline Chinook_Pdx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #351 on: November 07, 2015, 03:47:50 PM »
Preheat stone to 500.  Reduce oven temp to 450 and bake for 26-27 mins.

Thanks Nate the pizza turned out great, especially the crust! It had crispness along the bottom and sides and softer crumblyish texture inside. I used Trader Joe's whole milk Mozzarella and sauce made with 6 in 1 crushed tomatoes. I might need to bake it ~3 more minutes for the ultimate perfection:)

I made another batch of the same dough and resting it in the fridge for three days. Let's see if I'll be able to tell the difference. I'm using ADY.

For the ones using fresh yeast, are you also cold rising it in the fridge?

Thanks

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #352 on: November 10, 2015, 04:30:09 PM »
Thanks Nate the pizza turned out great, especially the crust! It had crispness along the bottom and sides and softer crumblyish texture inside. I used Trader Joe's whole milk Mozzarella and sauce made with 6 in 1 crushed tomatoes. I might need to bake it ~3 more minutes for the ultimate perfection:)

I made another batch of the same dough and resting it in the fridge for three days. Let's see if I'll be able to tell the difference. I'm using ADY.

For the ones using fresh yeast, are you also cold rising it in the fridge?

Thanks

Glad it turned out good for you.  I've been doing room temp rises with the fresh yeast.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Chinook_Pdx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #353 on: November 11, 2015, 12:38:25 AM »
Thanks Nate.

I tried the 4 day fridge + 3 hours room temperature aged dough today. The dough taste wise it was better/interesting/yeastier but I'd say not by a huge margin. However, texture wise it turned out very good. The bottom and sides crisped up well and inside it had more uniform holes and not doughy at all. It did cook more uniformly. I'll try a 6 hour room temperate rising again soon to compare. By the way, I'm just using olive oil in the dough and to oil the pan before baking.

It turns out that my Kroger clone supermarket carries fresh yeast:

http://www.breadworld.com/product/fresh-active-yeast

It's like $1.69 a packet. Apparently that's equivalent to 2 1/4 tsp ADY. But since I've been looking for it, they've been out! It's at the top shelf next to the butters in the dairy section.

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #354 on: December 02, 2015, 09:18:06 AM »
Next time someone makes this try adding some dry basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt and parm on top of the entire pie before baking.  Flavor was outstanding!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 02:43:42 PM by pythonic »

Offline Chinook_Pdx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #355 on: December 02, 2015, 12:19:16 PM »
That looks yummy :)

I've been experimenting with fresh yeast. I haven't noticed much flavor difference though vs ADY. I tried both 3-day fridge and 6-hour room temp rises. I'll do one more time fresh yeast room temp rise.

I'm looking forward to Friday for pizza night :)

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #356 on: December 02, 2015, 03:48:21 PM »
That looks yummy :)

I've been experimenting with fresh yeast. I haven't noticed much flavor difference though vs ADY. I tried both 3-day fridge and 6-hour room temp rises. I'll do one more time fresh yeast room temp rise.

I'm looking forward to Friday for pizza night :)

I get a ton more flavor when I use fresh yeast.  Make sure you add a ton.  I do a 6-9hr room temp rise.  I've been working part time at a pizza shop so I can buy my grande for $2/lb. Great cheese really helps the finished product.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:50:18 PM by pythonic »

Offline Chinook_Pdx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #357 on: December 02, 2015, 04:11:40 PM »
I've never knowingly had Grande before! That's a great deal, $2/lbs! I should ask around to get some!

I'm thinking about mixing TJs Mozzarella with Kerrygold Dubliner cheese. That Kerrygold has a flavor similar to cheddar+gruyere+parmesan. It's great in grilled cheeses. It's $5.50/lb at Costco. One of the best tasting cheeses for the money. I'm thinking maybe 65% Mozzarella + 35% Kerrygold.   

http://kerrygoldusa.com/products/dubliner-cheese?gclid=Cj0KEQiAyvqyBRChq_iG38PgvLgBEiQAJbasd9redBzT8qzCoDAJTQE4K5cBvYfRhaxQdAG68GdcrXkaAk598P8HAQ

For the fresh yeast how much are you using? I'm using about 6 grams of fresh yeast for 240g of flour. Are you using a much higher ratio?

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #358 on: December 02, 2015, 04:37:12 PM »
I'm probably using 10g for 185g of flour.

Offline Chinook_Pdx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #359 on: December 02, 2015, 04:52:33 PM »
Thanks. For that amount of fresh yeast, are you adjusting how much water you put in the dough? Doesn't it over rise though with that amount of yeast? Rise and then collapse? 

Based on only two trials, I'm finding that if I add 5g of fresh yeast, I need to subtract 5g of water otherwise the dough noticeably gets wetter (or maybe it's the weather, I'm not sure yet).

By the way, I did some reading about using fresh yeast. Some people were commenting that if you use small amounts but do long rise in the fridge for multiple days, there's not much taste difference with respect to the dry yeasts. But if you use a lot of fresh yeast and do a fast room temp rise, then you get the added flavor difference most likely due to the extra "stuff" (dead yeasts?) in the fresh yeast. This is inline with what you guys have been discussing :)

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #360 on: December 02, 2015, 10:18:34 PM »
For the fresh yeast you are supposed to use double as you would for the dry yeast.  My dough doesn't get any wetter.  I stick with 46% water and 23% oil.  Doing longer rises requires more sugar in the dough as well.  When the dough rises a lot I will gently press it down and let it rise again like you would with bread dough.

Nate

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #361 on: December 02, 2015, 11:08:41 PM »
Nate,

Technically, the amount of fresh yeast would be double the weight of ADY or triple the weight of IDY. Fresh yeast is about 70% water but it is still too small to warrant reduction of the formula water.

Peter

Offline Chinook_Pdx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #362 on: December 03, 2015, 01:12:37 PM »
Thank you guys. If I can get some more fresh yeast tomorrow, I'll try 10g+ yeast in my dough.

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #363 on: December 03, 2015, 02:42:43 PM »
Nate,

Technically, the amount of fresh yeast would be double the weight of ADY or triple the weight of IDY. Fresh yeast is about 70% water but it is still too small to warrant reduction of the formula water.

Peter

Thanks Peter.  I knew it was double one of them.  Haha.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #364 on: December 03, 2015, 03:06:04 PM »

Whatever the amount is that last pie you posted is killer pizza dude!!  Wow  :o

Is that your thinner version Nate...dressed out in traditional way...sauce bottom, etc.  The pizza looks incredibly delicious man...more than worthy of another look... ;D

....guess I do see tomato on top.  She a beauty!

« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 03:08:30 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizzasmut

• I Love Pizza!
Is this thread too old to revive? I'm working on this now and wanted to know if pythonic ever got to the 3 day cold rise?

Through the experimenting I've been doing it seems that adding the oil in with the flour first is really the key to flakey (and using leif lard will take it up to the next level I've found but you miss some of the flavor from the corn oil). Where I'm having trouble is small oil spots in the dough getting hard on occasion (?) and over proofing. I also can't seem to get that beer flavor.

Those videos of the Lou M dough (here: "http://fast.wistia.net/embed/iframe/2s91m79c80?canonicalUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.loumalnatis.com%2Fabout-the-pizza&canonicalTitle=Best%20Pizza%20in%20Chicago%20%7C%20Lou%20Malnati's%20Restaurants" ) it's almost firm and super bubbly. That's got to be from a long rise, right?

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
Is this thread too old to revive? I'm working on this now and wanted to know if pythonic ever got to the 3 day cold rise?

Through the experimenting I've been doing it seems that adding the oil in with the flour first is really the key to flakey (and using leif lard will take it up to the next level I've found but you miss some of the flavor from the corn oil). Where I'm having trouble is small oil spots in the dough getting hard on occasion (?) and over proofing. I also can't seem to get that beer flavor.

Those videos of the Lou M dough (here: "http://fast.wistia.net/embed/iframe/2s91m79c80?canonicalUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.loumalnatis.com%2Fabout-the-pizza&canonicalTitle=Best%20Pizza%20in%20Chicago%20%7C%20Lou%20Malnati's%20Restaurants" ) it's almost firm and super bubbly. That's got to be from a long rise, right?

You will get the beer flavor from a longer ferment or by using fresh yeast.  For the best crust flavor I would try the fresh yeast route if you can and do a 3 day cold ferment.

wordpress