Author Topic: Aurelio's Naples Location Deep Dish Quest  (Read 616 times)

Offline Wesleyj

• I Love Pizza!
Aurelio's Naples Location Deep Dish Quest
« on: January 19, 2015, 04:38:16 PM »
Greetings.

My name is Wes and while I’ve been watching and reading this forum for a few years although this is my first post. I am hoping to gain some insight on a pizza I’m trying to recreate. Attached is a picture of a deep dish (thin crust) pizza found at only the old Aurelio’s Naples Florida location (later renamed Sweet Home Chicago Pub and Grub before they closed their doors). This particular deep pizza was ONLY available at this Naples Florida location not at regular franchise stores. This is a 10” pie. I believed they used a regular Aurelio’s crust reconfigured to fit this 10” pan. The problem lies with the cheese - I cannot seem to figure out what kind of cheese this is. If you look closely around the edges there is an orange-ish coloring of the cooked cheese. If you look below this orange coloring you can see its mozzarella. My question is this – is there a thin layer of cheddar on top of a thick layer of mozzarella?

I tried recreating this pizza with a 50/50 mix of Mozzarella/Scamorza (Not Chellino brand – but an imported that I believe is similar) and while the taste was great it was not Aurelio's. I’ve read through all the Aurelio’s threads on this board and there does not seem to be a unanimous agreement on what cheese they used. Are there any observations/suggestions you can give to help me recreate this pizza? When my wife and I got married we honeymooned in Marco Island and fell in love with this pizza and we are trying to recreate it. I think I’ve got the crust and sauce nailed down – it’s the cheese that I can’t figure out. Thanks.

Wes

Offline Wesleyj

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Aurelio's Naples Location Deep Dish Quest
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 04:40:51 PM »
Another picture. My wife and I were wondering if that sauce was put on the pizza after it was cooked.

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 06:56:52 PM »
Another picture. My wife and I were wondering if that sauce was put on the pizza after it was cooked.

Sauce after the bake? That's a good possibility.
Looks like cheddar along with the mozzarella, but could be any orange cheese... i.e.  - gouda, american (though american might burn depending on the brand) ...

It's hard to tell from the photo: Is this a stuffed pizza (two crusts) or deep dish (one crust)?
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 07:25:31 PM »
I'm curious--how is this pizza different than the DD pizzas served at the regular Aurelio's locations? 

Offline Wesleyj

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 06:32:46 AM »
That pizza is a deep dish thin crust. It's not stuffed. The crust you see on the side is the same on the bottom. I never thought of Gouda cheese. I don't remember it tasting like American cheese.

I went to multiple Chicago Aurelio's (although never made it to the Homewood location) and none of them had this particular deep dish pizza on the menu. Some did have a deep dish on their menu but it was just a slightly thicker version of their regular pizza. But I cannot fully claim this to be a Naples location only item. The Naples owners (Stewart family) son did tell me this pizza was their creation and that's why it wasn't on any other locations menus. When they changed their name to Sweet Home Chicago pub and Grub it was still on their menu and tasted basically the same.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 11:48:58 AM »
That pizza is a deep dish thin crust. It's not stuffed. The crust you see on the side is the same on the bottom. I never thought of Gouda cheese. I don't remember it tasting like American cheese.

I went to multiple Chicago Aurelio's (although never made it to the Homewood location) and none of them had this particular deep dish pizza on the menu. Some did have a deep dish on their menu but it was just a slightly thicker version of their regular pizza. But I cannot fully claim this to be a Naples location only item. The Naples owners (Stewart family) son did tell me this pizza was their creation and that's why it wasn't on any other locations menus. When they changed their name to Sweet Home Chicago pub and Grub it was still on their menu and tasted basically the same.

So how are you making the crust right now?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Wesleyj

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 12:56:38 PM »
I am using a slightly modified version of the one that Garvey and OTRchef posted on other threads. They are both pretty good in this deep dish configuration. But that cheese....I just can't seem to figure it out.

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 03:51:58 PM »
Looks like a cheddar to me applied on top of the Mozz (if it is Mozz) and sauce applied after bake and after the pizza was cut (that is pretty interesting)

The pizza looks very thick and sure does look like a stuffed, does the cheese make up all that depth (or maybe it's just the angle of the picture)?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:54:40 PM by PizzaGarage »

Offline Garvey

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 06:37:19 PM »
This doesn't help with the cheese question, but some DD pizzas don't have a very thick bottom crust at all.  Perhaps this was just on the thinner side of the continuum.  I prefer a pretty thin crust on DD.  My dough weight for a 12" DD is typically just under 400g.  That's 33% heavier than my 14" thin, but it's not the 50%-75% markup seen in many recipes.

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 07:01:51 PM »
Yes, me too, the DD should be thin..most of the standard pizza places out here bottom crust is about 1 to 1.5 inches thick!  Much more Sicilian, but made with their standard thin crust dough...yikes...

Offline Wesleyj

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 06:37:14 AM »
Yes this pizza had the same thin crust on the side as on the bottom. It was not stuffed. It was just filled with cheese/toppings/sauce. It was REALLY good. I think this location just took the everything they'd put on a large pizza and stuff it into a 10" deep dish pan. I will have to try putting a little cheddar on top.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 12:41:36 AM »
aurelios sauce I've always thought was very unique.  I've tried a lot of recipes and experiments, have got close but not close enough...do you mind sharing your sauce recipe?  I have no idea on this crust though. thanks a ton!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

Offline Garvey

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 05:02:16 AM »
Mojo Man, try this one.  It is spot on.  Can't take credit for it, but passing it along.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 09:47:33 PM »
Mojo Man, try this one.  It is spot on.  Can't take credit for it, but passing it along.

That's the best one ive ever tried to date!  I thought it was yours!  I thought it was very very close.  I thought I was missing something like more of a sugar ! POP! Its very sweet but flat? Like I always thoughr aurelios had a citric acid brightness to it?  I could be way off! Maybe its something their sausage adds to it. Because I like their sausage too! It tasted a bit different to me than other chicago italians. I was curious to see what Wesley's taste was when it comes to aurelios!  Maybe this sauce on this pan pizza is way different though...... If I had to make an aurelios sauce today I sure would use the one you recommend!  Maybe a pinch of citric acid?  I bought some citric acid...I need to try it...theres just something chemically about it that has held me back...maybe drop of lemon juice? thanks as always Garvey! you rule!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:53:47 PM by mrmojo1 »
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

Offline Wesleyj

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 12:16:08 PM »
The recipe that Garvey posted is one of the best I've tried! What cheese do you use for your Aurelio's pizzas? If you could give me brand and type I would appreciate it.

To be honest I only had that deep dish pizza 10 times in my life. And I've only had Aurelio's from Chicago like 3 times. So I'll be the first admit that I haven't eaten enough Aurelio's to be an expert on duplicating one.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 09:03:14 AM »
The recipe that Garvey posted is one of the best I've tried! What cheese do you use for your Aurelio's pizzas? If you could give me brand and type I would appreciate it.

To be honest I only had that deep dish pizza 10 times in my life. And I've only had Aurelio's from Chicago like 3 times. So I'll be the first admit that I haven't eaten enough Aurelio's to be an expert on duplicating one.

There are much better deep dish pizzas than Aureilos has.  Have you tried others?
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 01:00:43 PM »
Nate is correct.  Aurelio's is a thin-crust joint, first and foremost.  Their other offerings are an oddity, to be sure.

pizzapan