Author Topic: baking steel  (Read 582 times)

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
baking steel
« on: June 04, 2016, 04:17:37 PM »
i just bought one of these.  the 1/2 inch.  i was thinking about getting another to have one on top rack in the oven then maybe a 6 to 8 inch gap then one on lower rack to try and simulate a deck oven with steel.  any thoughts?  i have yet to cook a chicago thin crust on steel yet.  always used a stone or the wfo, or a pan on the stone..hmmmmm....i know rosatis uses both stone decks and steel deck ovens....

http://www.amazon.com/NerdChef-Steel-Stone-High-Performance-Standard/dp/B00JXVNUHW/?tag=pmak-20
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: baking steel
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 04:36:07 PM »
I think it would be a waste of money. Just put the steel as high up in the oven as you can and still leave room to launch.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 05:05:00 PM »
ok thanks Craig so no need to have a top steel then....

do you think my baking times will change vs. using a 1/2 in stone?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 05:24:01 PM »
do you think my baking times will change vs. using a 1/2 in stone?

Maybe a bit shorter - or maybe you will make better pizza in about the same time. YOu will just have to experiment and see what works well for you. Some folks use the broiler. I don't. My best pies in my oven on 1/2" steel are with the oven at 585F (as hot as it will go) and no boiler. I preheat the steel for 2 hours.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 05:40:14 PM »
thanks so much for the help Craig!! 

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 02:13:36 PM »
ok, tried my 1st pizza on the steel.  didn't take any pics, i was over a six pack in by the time i got up and going and was running a bit on auto pilot.  i have 3 more dough balls.  i was really worried that it would burn, but it didn't at all.  i could have probably left it in longer.  crust was nice and crunchy.  i kept opening the door bc of my paranoia checking the crust!...but 11-12 mins no problem.  preheated at 550c for 1 hour.  had to turn on the broiler to get some color on the top....prob lost a lot of heat due to opening the door.   will move rack higher.  that steel is stressing out the cheap racks in this oven!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 02:22:11 PM »
that steel is stressing out the cheap racks in this oven!

Get some steel bar stock or angle iron from Home Depot/Lowes and build it to support the weight on the walls of the oven as opposed to the flimsy racks - you can see how I did it here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=39045.msg390558#msg390558

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 01:17:18 PM »
awesome!!  thank you Craig!!