Author Topic: First time trying a deep dish pizza. Lou's clone.  (Read 1672 times)

Offline adubftw

• I Love Pizza!
First time trying a deep dish pizza. Lou's clone.
« on: January 21, 2016, 01:24:47 PM »
I was going to write out a detailed plan / process anyways so i thought i would try to contribute here.  I've developed my plan by pouring through a lot of the posts in pythonic's thread.  I'll follow up after this weekend with results.  Any comments, feedback, or suggestions are welcome!

9" Lloyds PSTK stacking pan

100% AP Flour 185g
20% oil (half veg, half corn)
46% water @ 80 to 85F
1/2 tsp ADY
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar

1. mix all dry ingredients except yeast
2. add oils mixing halfway with spoon until large clumps form
3. proof yeast in water
4. add water, mix halfway through
5. mix with spoon until it comes together
6. one hand knead for 1.5 to 2 min
7. let dough rise in lighted oven for 5 hours

======

1. preheat oven to 450F
2. lightly coat bottom of pan with corn oil
3. spread dough evenly,  thin press 1.5" up sides
4. cover bottom with 1/2 lb sliced grande 50/50 mozz
5. remove whole peeled tomatoes from 28oz can (whole foods 365 organic).  hand crush and drain in strainer.
6. add crushed drained tomatoes back into sauce in can, add tsp of sugar, mix
7. cover pizza with sauce / crushed tomato mixture, about half the 28 oz can
8. add toppings
9. bake for 28 min @ 450F
10. remove from oven and let rest for 5 min in pan.  10 min rest out of pan.
11. cut, serve, take pics, and eat! :drool: :pizza:

i read a lot of different dough formulations but decided to try and keep it simple for the first try. i tried to stick with the most recently recommended methods from the regulars on this board.
went with the whole foods tomatoes bc there was an old thread on the ingredients forum where someone did a pretty extensive side by side taste test and recommended this approach.
not doing sausage this go around because i really wanted to focus getting the dough right - is that a mistake? i could easily pick up the bulk hot italian sausage at marianos.

thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your comments.
best,
mr. pizza

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
Re: First time trying a deep dish pizza. Lou's clone.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 10:37:25 PM »
for me with chicago deep dish sausage is a must have.....its the glorious combination of all the flavors!!!  soooo good!  but i would go with a sweet italian?  but i also love hot!  but sweet would be my preference....man....i want to make one this weekend!!!  cheers!!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 09:33:06 PM »
I'm of course not the authority here!!!!  and its a personal preference.  my philosophy has been if you can make a good cheese pizza, then you got something!! your sauce your cheese your crust are there!!!  find a good italian you like or make your own that you like and you got something!!!  when i think of chicago deep dish or thin crust if i have to order only one flavor its cheese and sausage!!  for sure!!  have fun!! let us know how it comes out!  your plan looks very solid!  some awesome recipes and people here...one can't lose!!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

Offline adubftw

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 08:50:18 PM »
First try turned out pretty great but I think there is room for improvement.

I think I might have over cooked it a bit using 450 for 28 minutes. I would have liked the crust to be a little softer. It was very crunchy.  Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 08:53:58 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 06:07:09 PM »
Increase oil to 23% and bake for 26-27 mins.  Looks very good though for first attempt!
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline adubftw

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 11:12:45 AM »
for me with chicago deep dish sausage is a must have.....its the glorious combination of all the flavors!!!  soooo good!  but i would go with a sweet italian?  but i also love hot!  but sweet would be my preference....man....i want to make one this weekend!!!  cheers!!

mr. mojo i had lou's recently and you're right the sausage is sweet.  i am going to try buying the bulk mild italian sausage from marianos and mixing sugar into half of the sausage so i can do a side by side comparison on my next pizza.

Increase oil to 23% and bake for 26-27 mins.  Looks very good though for first attempt!
pythonic thanks for the suggestion i'll try that next time and report back.

i remembered a couple of other little things i did that could have had an effect.  after letting the dough rise there was a "crustiness" to the top of it.  i gave the dough ball a couple of one handed squeezes to get the "crustiness" mixed throughout the dough before putting it down in the pan. 

i baked the pizza on the bottom rack.  usually i use the middle rack but i read somewhere on here that i should use bottom rack so i went with that.  the way the bottom of the crust was a darkened crisp i'm questioning that approach.

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 12:31:44 PM »
Hi when you let the dough Rise, cover your pan or whatever you use with plastic wrap and you won't get your dough to dry.
Regards Leo.

Offline adubftw

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 12:14:59 PM »
i have the little 3 pack of small packages of ADY.  one 9" pizza doesnt require a full pack or even half.  what is the best way to preserve the remaining ADY in the opened pack?

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 02:16:01 PM »
i have the little 3 pack of small packages of ADY.  one 9" pizza doesnt require a full pack or even half.  what is the best way to preserve the remaining ADY in the opened pack?

I do an airtight jar in the fridge.  The packets are for suckers, though.  I like buying bulk yeast at Sam's or the like.  Even the jarred "bread machine" yeast is simply IDY and much cheaper, overall.

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 08:12:36 PM »

You don't need to refrigerate active dry yeast from a packet. Just put it in a zip top bag and squeeze as much air out as you can.
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline adubftw

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 11:52:05 AM »
this time i increased the oil and decrease the cook time:

100% AP Flour 185g
23% oil (half veg, half corn)
46% water @ 80 to 85F
1/2 tsp ADY
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar

27 minutes, bottom rack, 450F

the crust was better but still a little too well done on the bottom. i'm thinking perhaps i should be using the middle rack instead of the bottom.
i also included store bought bulk italian sausage (marianos) and added a tsp of sugar. the sausage totally missed the mark as far as tasting like lou's.  maybe next time i try sausage i'll try to make it from scratch.

other modifications:
fresh crimini mushrooms sauteed in a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper before going into the pie. they tasted great.
bella terra organic san marzanos for the sauce. good but probably not worth the much higher price.
whole milk mozz from marianos cheese counter. definitely did not enjoy the texture and taste as much as the grande 50/50.  unfortunately marianos did not carry the grande 50/50 mozz.  i'll have to go back to whole foods.

i have some pics for your enjoyment.  also a couple bonus photos i thought you might be interested in the variety of selection marianos offers on whole peeled tomatoes.  one section is in the canned vegetables area and another in the international foods area.

best,
mr. pizza :pizza: :chef:

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:54:14 AM by adubftw »

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 12:00:47 PM »
Wow, your DD pie is making me very hungry right now - it looks first-rate   :pizza: :pizza:
Norm

Offline mudman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 08:50:48 PM »
Looking GOOD!!!!

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 09:01:06 AM »
Looks real good.  I use the 2nd rack from bottom from what it's worth.  Try this recipe for the sausage.  It's pretty decent.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=35488.msg353079#msg353079
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:08:59 AM by pythonic »

Offline adubftw

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 05:54:27 PM »
I made a pie for my family and a few days later they ordered some Lou's.  I asked them to compare and point out any differences.
They told me that the Lou's crust was sweeter and more buttery.  What can i do to try and make my home made crust sweeter and more buttery?

i do remember that for the pizza i made them i let the dough rise in the over with the light on for 4-6 hours and then it went into the fridge over night.  It had a much stronger beer-like aroma to it than previous dough balls that i only let rise in the oven and then baked immediately. 

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 12:42:36 AM »
I made a pie for my family and a few days later they ordered some Lou's.  I asked them to compare and point out any differences.
They told me that the Lou's crust was sweeter and more buttery.  What can i do to try and make my home made crust sweeter and more buttery?

i do remember that for the pizza i made them i let the dough rise in the over with the light on for 4-6 hours and then it went into the fridge over night.  It had a much stronger beer-like aroma to it than previous dough balls that i only let rise in the oven and then baked immediately.

Add more sugar to the recipe and brush liquid butter on crust before baking.

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 06:12:24 PM »
Add more sugar to the recipe and brush liquid butter on crust before baking.

Seconded.
Also, you could cold-ferment your dough in the fridge for 48 hours for more of those buttery notes.
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 06:05:13 PM »
Seconded.
Also, you could cold-ferment your dough in the fridge for 48 hours for more of those buttery notes.

Just skip the ginger.  LOL

Offline Garvey

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 09:02:41 PM »
Just skip the ginger.  LOL

"I'm suing for defamation!"

Offline adubftw

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 12:48:51 PM »
Made my best pie yet last night. Some notes:

3/4ths of my oil is veg oil.  I've been enjoying a lower percentage of corn oil as i think corn oil overpowers the flavor of the crust.
baking at 450 for 22 min on middle rack (actual oven thermometer reads only 425 deg F. much more soft and chewy texture.  best crust texture yet.  i was definitely overcooking in the past.
instead of oil - i greased the pan with melted butter.  also spread some melted butter on crust after pressed into pan.  gave a nice subtle butter flavor.
hand strained / crushed my tomatoes as usual but left less of the juice in the can after taking out the whole tomatoes.  probably left a half cup of juice to mix back in with the chunks.  dash of salt, pep, and crushed red pepper. Tablespoon of sugar mixed in.  Best "sauce" yet, for me.

i got my pepperoni a little extra crisp by frying in a pan first and laying out on some paper towel to absorb oil.  this was by request of the mrs.

i love making pizza so much.  glad i have this forum to come and geek out! thanks!

Offline pizzasmut

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2016, 03:48:47 PM »
That's a great looking pie adubftw! Working on DD myself right now. Mixed a dough tonight and putting it in for a cold rise. Hoping to pop it in the oven maybe tomorrow or Sunday and will post pictures.

I've been having a dough issue myself. Previously I've developed a crust on really oily DD dough. How do I avoid that? Does it need more flour? Is it oily right away or should it become oily once it has risen?

And for anybody that is interested, I had been looking at actual pie crust and saw an article on Serious Eats where they experiment with what makes it flakey. It appears that you can get flakey pie crust by making an oil/flour mix with some of the flour before adding the rest in. I think, with support from pythonics amazing work here, that it could be the key to the flakiness. Maybe I'm just repeating something you pros already knew but I found it interesting. Here's the article: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/science-of-pie-7-myths-that-need-to-go-away.html

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 01:16:26 PM »
That's a great looking pie adubftw! Working on DD myself right now. Mixed a dough tonight and putting it in for a cold rise. Hoping to pop it in the oven maybe tomorrow or Sunday and will post pictures.

I've been having a dough issue myself. Previously I've developed a crust on really oily DD dough. How do I avoid that? Does it need more flour? Is it oily right away or should it become oily once it has risen?

And for anybody that is interested, I had been looking at actual pie crust and saw an article on Serious Eats where they experiment with what makes it flakey. It appears that you can get flakey pie crust by making an oil/flour mix with some of the flour before adding the rest in. I think, with support from pythonics amazing work here, that it could be the key to the flakiness. Maybe I'm just repeating something you pros already knew but I found it interesting. Here's the article: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/science-of-pie-7-myths-that-need-to-go-away.html

DD dough is just very oily to begin with.  That is where the flakiness comes from.  You want to be somewhere between 22%-24% oil.  If you have been making it too oily for your taste increase the water to 50% and go with 21% oil.  As for the flakiness if an authentic DD pizza....you want it between pie dough and pizza dough.  Too much oil will make the crust too rich and dense.  I've found that a shorter bake will help get that texture just right.  I've also found that you must increase home oven temps to 465-475 because deck ovens are a game changer and we cannot duplicate that type of consistent heat.  With higher temps though you must prevent bottom and top charring.

Nate
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:33:16 PM by pythonic »

Offline Garvey

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 02:34:20 PM »
I've also found that you must increase home oven temps to 465-475 because deck ovens are a game changer and we cannot duplicate that type of consistent heat. 

And I'd add that all ovens are different.  In my oven, 425-450 is better.  But the principle is the same.  Know thine oven.

wordpress