Author Topic: Giordano's Stuffed Crust -- Recipe and Video  (Read 903 times)

Offline RockyMountainPie

• Lifetime Member
  • Passionate about Pizza!
Giordano's Stuffed Crust -- Recipe and Video
« on: May 27, 2016, 05:30:59 AM »
After having visited Giordano's a couple of times during my Chicago Extended Pizza Crawl, I decided it would be fun to try making this style of pizza at home.

This is my best attempt to date.

Using a 10" x 2" pan, the formulation I used is as follows:

Flour (100%):       584.95 g  |  20.63 oz | 1.29 lbs
Water (48%):       280.78 g  |  9.9 oz | 0.62 lbs
IDY (.5%):       2.92 g | 0.1 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.97 tsp | 0.32 tbsp
Salt (1.8%):       10.53 g | 0.37 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.19 tsp | 0.73 tbsp
Corn Oil (8%):    46.8 g | 1.65 oz | 0.1 lbs | 10.4 tsp | 3.47 tbsp
Total (158.3%): 925.98 g | 32.66 oz | 2.04 lbs | TF = 0.09
Single Ball:      462.99 g | 16.33 oz | 1.02 lbs

I used a nominal dough size of 15.2 inches in the dough calculator.  I used this large size of pizza diameter in order to be sure I would have plenty of dough to work with.  It's better to have too much rather than not enough dough with this style.

This formulation is loosely based on this post by Aimless Ryan because I thought his pizza looked very close if not identical to an actual Giordano's pizza.   My only changes were to increase the hydration, fat and salt a little bit.

Ingredients

Flour:  I used ConAgra Full Power High Gluten Flour.  I like the high gluten flours for this, but All Trumps would probably be too tough and chewy

Sauce: I used a variation on Norma's sauce that she uses on her Boardwalk pizzas using Stanislaus Saporito Heavy Puree as the base. 

In an early post by member Buzz regarding Giordano's pizza, he describes the sauce as follows:

The sauce is (Escalon) 6-in-1 tomatoes--there's a bit of heat in it, which means they're adding red pepper flakes. The closest I've come is to add crushed garlic, S and P (the sauce is salty), red pepper flakes, sugar, and dried "pizza seasoning" (basil, oregano, fennel, garlic, etc.). Then Parmesan on top.

I more or less agree with this, but I don't recall seeing any pieces of garlic in the Giordano's sauce so it is possible that garlic powder is used instead.  I didn't taste any fennel in the sauce.   In general, I would use an uncooked, good quality crushed tomato product, partly drained with oregano, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to taste.   

Cheese: 16 ounces of the best quality shredded mozzarella cheese you can find  (I used Saputo Gold Premium in this pie and I liked it a lot, even though it is only part skim rather than whole milk)  (I believe Girodano's uses shredded whole milk Stella cheese.)

Work Flow:

Dry ingredients: Put flour, IDY, and Salt into mixing bowl.  Whisk mixture together. 
Wet ingredients:  Add corn oil to water, stir to combine.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in mixing bowl.

Use paddle attachment on low setting to combine all ingredients, about 1 minute.
Dough may appear  "scrappy."  Use hands to press into a dough ball and place all of the dough into a large ziplock bag.  Place into the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.

Divide dough into 2 equal sized portions.  Either leave out at room temperature in covered containers for at least 4  to 6 hours or place dough into a barely warm oven with a glass of hot water for 15 or 20 minutes to bring dough up to room temperature or slightly warmer.

Roll out one ball of dough with a rolling pin.  Dough should be slightly less than 1/4 inch thick when rolled out.  Coat the bottom and sides of your deep dish pizza pan with butter or margarine.  Place the rolled out dough into the pizza pan, pressing firmly along the bottom and sides of the pan.  Use a knife to cut away excess dough from the sides of the pan.  A larger rolling pin also works well to remove the excess dough. 

Add raw mild Italian sausage and/or other meats onto the dough.  Sausage needs to go on first, then pepperoni and other meats.  Add shredded cheese over the meat(s).  Use 16 ounces of shredded mozzarella or a mozzarella / provolone blend if your mozzarella doesn't melt well or needs some additional flavor.

Roll out 2nd dough ball with rolling pin to about the same size.  Place the rolled out dough over the cheese and meat in the pizza pan and use knife to cut away excess dough from the edge of the  pan.   Press the 2 doughs together firmly all the way  around the pizza pan so that they combine into one.  Use a little water on hands if dough is very dry and not sticking together.

Tear or cut some holes in the top layer of dough to allow  for venting during the bake.   

Add  tomato sauce to top layer of dough.  Sprinkle with grated Parmesan and place into lower rack of an oven pre-heated to 450 degrees.

For best results place the pizza on a screen on top of a pre-heated pizza stone for the entire bake.  Bake about 35 to 40 minutes.  It will likely be necessary to place a large piece of aluminum foil over the top of the pizza about half way through the bake to prevent over-browning of the top crust edge. 

I really like this pizza and at times felt like I was eating the real deal.  I hope others will give this method a try and report back with their experiences.  All questions, comments and suggestions are welcome!

For those interested, my 10-year old son made this video of me making this pizza for his Youtube channel

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 01:22:01 AM by RockyMountainPie »

Offline RockyMountainPie

• Lifetime Member
Re: Giordano's Stuffed Crust -- Recipe and Video
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 06:08:34 AM »
Post bake photos:

Offline mudman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 06:34:18 PM »
Looks very tasty. Nice job!

Offline RockyMountainPie

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 03:02:38 PM »
Looks very tasty. Nice job!

Thanks mudman.  It is only with the information gained from a lot of previous posts on this forum that I was able to learn how to make a pizza similar to Giordano's.  I think for my next attempt I will use vegetable oil instead of corn oil and lower the amount to 6% down from 8%.  I think it will be closer to an actual Giordano's with those changes. 

Tim

Offline jcg

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 11:34:37 AM »
How hard is this dough to work with? The amount of oil is less than 1/2 what you see for the Lou Malnati type recipes where the oil is typically 20-24%. Have you made any of the higher oil content doughs, and if so how does the texture differ from this Giordano dough? I'm making pizzas tonight, so I might do 2 crusts and compare.

jcg

Thanks mudman.  It is only with the information gained from a lot of previous posts on this forum that I was able to learn how to make a pizza similar to Giordano's.  I think for my next attempt I will use vegetable oil instead of corn oil and lower the amount to 6% down from 8%.  I think it will be closer to an actual Giordano's with those changes. 

Tim

Offline RockyMountainPie

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 03:59:06 PM »
Hi jcg,

I feel the key in using this type of dough is to warm it up before you roll it out.  This can be done in a proofing box or a barely warm oven (about 115 degrees for 60 to 90 minutes).  I learned this technique from member Fazzari who has been talking about it here since at least 2009.  He mentions it in this link and his reply that follows:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6604.msg69332#msg693329  and in many more of his posts.   

I have made the higher oil content doughs and they are completely different than this.  The high oil content doughs are just press fitted directly into the pans.  You wouldn't dream of using a rolling pin or a sheeter on them.  The Giordano's dough however, needs to be rolled out with a rolling pin or run through a sheeter as they do to the dough in the restaurants.   

Looking forward to your efforts.  Please post a few pictures and your experience with the pizza if you have the chance.  Hope you make some great pizza tonight!

-- Tim

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 09:26:42 PM »
Nice pie but no layers in the crust.  That is the holy grail of why giordanos is so good.  I moved away from Chicago less than a year ago and would love to see someone locally join them part time to find out what the secret is.  It can't be just because of their ovens.  It's either the sheeter or laminated dough.

Nate
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:29:28 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 04:21:34 PM »
i agree Nate!!  its all about the layers.  my personal opinion is they used the sheeter.  i have a somerset at home, and those things are so powerful.  fold that dough up like a letter ball it run it through.  you can do it over and over, although probably once is enough.  the fact they use a sheeter and places like lou's just pat out their dough in the pan i think may be the difference!!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 04:30:16 PM »
here's where i used the sheeter and laminated a chicago thin crust pizza.   i felt i got too many layers as it was too thin, almost too delicate...but the sheeter makes easy work of it..

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20346.0;attach=98086;image
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 05:58:59 PM »
here's where i used the sheeter and laminated a chicago thin crust pizza.   i felt i got too many layers as it was too thin, almost too delicate...but the sheeter makes easy work of it..

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20346.0;attach=98086;image

Nice layers.  I need to invest in a sheeter :)
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline RockyMountainPie

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 02:41:34 AM »
Another stuffed crust, this time using a few different dough handling techniques and the following recipe:

For a 10" pan with 2" sides:

ConAgra Full Power Flour (100%):    698.11 g  |  24.62 oz | 1.54 lbs
Water (48%):    335.09 g  |  11.82 oz | 0.74 lbs
IDY (0.5%):    3.49 g | 0.12 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.16 tsp | 0.39 tbsp
Kosher Salt (1.8%): 12.57 g | 0.44 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.62 tsp | 0.87 tbsp
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (6%):    41.89 g | 1.48 oz | 0.09 lbs | 9.22 tsp | 3.07 tbsp
Total (156.3%): 1091.15 g | 38.49 oz | 2.41 lbs | TF = 0.09
Single Ball: 545.57 g | 19.24 oz | 1.2 lbs

Nominal size of 16.5 inches
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 02:44:20 AM by RockyMountainPie »

Offline RockyMountainPie

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 02:47:25 AM »
More:

wordpress