Author Topic: brick ovens  (Read 4483 times)

Offline fcbuilder

brick ovens
« on: February 03, 2009, 09:14:52 PM »
Dose anybody have experience with or has a wildwood brick oven and might know if they are suitable for temps in the 800 range. it is for residential use.  I live California and there factory is close to me so its easy for me to pick up.There price is right also.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: brick ovens
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 09:25:18 PM »
FC,
My earthstone came from California to NJ  I have heard the name and seen a few pics of the wildwood is it the  tuscano model you are looking at? Similar to Forno Bravo premio ovens. Are those wildwood ovens made right there by you? Or is the warehouse by you? I seem to think they are made in Cali. If so I would visit and find out as much as you can about the building process. I did a ton a research before purchasing mine and saw some real crap. What size are you looking at how much does it weigh ?(Thermal mass) how thick material ... If its really cheap there is some corners being cut somewhere. Its like the thread on the Oneida stone going on now cheaper is not allways better.
Good luck and whatever you get, Get one soon ! its tons of fun! Just checked their site. I have been there, lighter ,easier to assemble and less money than others but should cook you a fine pizza with the proper insulation, if thats the way you choose to go.
John
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 09:40:47 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 10:20:59 PM »
I have been looking for a while know ,it is still between the earthstone and this company . There build quality looks pretty good , the floor of the oven is at least 4 inch's thick and it only has two pieces which should also help in retaining some of the heat . the reason the oven is lighter is probably due to the aggregate in the cement . I am in the building industry and when we due radiant heat applications we use light weight aggregates that are half the weight of lets say bluestone and absorb and retain a lot of energy. So that might be what they use. I am anxious to get it because I am probably going to blow up my oven using the cleaning cycle..LOL  But its worth it . Since moving to cali good pizza is hard to come by ,I was spoiled being from new york . thanks for the fast reply. frank c.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 02:21:31 AM »
Being in the building biz I would think you could build your own oven and save some $$$$.

When I researched ovens last year the only negative comments I heard about competitors ovens were directed at Wildwood by one of the other companies. They said you would be ok with just about any of the well known brands but they did not think much of the design of the Wildwood. They may have had some personal issues that were not disclosed.

One of these days I will get one for myself!  Good luck with whatever you do from another ex NY'er.

PNW

Offline Matthew

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 10:57:09 AM »
FCbuilder,

I was looking at them as well.  My main problem is that I reside in Canada & most oven kits cost as much for shipping & duty as does the oven.  Wildwood has an office in Toronto which, is where I reside.  I am going to contact them today to get some additional information & visit their showroom.  Please let me know your findings & I'll do the same.

Matt

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 11:15:11 AM »
I would love to build one on my own especially since my father built a couple of them in Italy when he was there. But he lives in new York and he is 70 years old with two knee replacements ,so I couldn't put him through it. Although he probably would want to do it anyway , you cant put down a old Italian! I have this perfect spot in my back yard were the pool builders built a shower stall out of block and stucco and it is the exact size i need for the base of the oven.So since we don't yous it as a shower why not turn it into a brick oven . Thanks for the input , Before i buy i am going to look at there operation and try and make a educated guess. Where did you move?and is the pizza as California's..lol thanks fc
FCbuilder,

I was looking at them as well.  My main problem is that I reside in Canada & most oven kits cost as much for shipping & duty as does the oven.  Wildwood has an office in Toronto which, is where I reside.  I am going to contact them today to get some additional information & visit their showroom.  Please let me know your findings & I'll do the same.

Matt
Thanks I will do the same . I will probably go next week to check things out. I played some lacrosse in oshawa near toronto .. cool place. Thanks again.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 01:06:51 PM »
Thanks I will do the same . I will probably go next week to check things out. I played some lacrosse in oshawa near toronto .. cool place. Thanks again.

Ya, Toronto's pretty cool, kinda like a larger Manhattan, without the great pizza & less people.  It's funny that you mention lacrosse, as my wife's a high school teacher & works with John Tavares of the Buffalo Bandits.  I've never played lacrosse, only hockey.

I just got off the phone with Wildwood in California, I spoke with Michael Gerard, (the owner) about the Milano oven.  He seems like a really nice guy & based on what he mentioned about the oven it sounds pretty impressive.  Hard to tell though without seeing or testing it.  What I also really like is that if you use their stand as the base (which can be finished in any material that you choose) it makes the oven portable so you can take it with you if you move.  There is enough clearance on the bottom to fit a pumptruck.  The local guy in my area is has one set up but it's buried in snow right now.  Their shipping rates are also pretty reasonable, under $500 to my front door.  He also mentioned that there is a 10% off sale going on this month.  I am looking forward to hearing back from you on your opinion when you see the oven live.

Matt
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 01:15:11 PM by Matthew »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 01:47:06 PM »
FC, Matthew
Hey guys, I am still (stuck) in NJ. 25 min to NYC!! But I do Have a nice earthstone ;D See "Recent build of earthstone" By JConk,  in this thread. I had a question on the floor You said it was 4" thick and whats it made of?? Is that the actual 2 pieces that connect to make the floor? The earthstone uses Bolger Bakers tiles 12 X12 X 1 1/2" Honestly that was the hardest part (aside from grouting the stone veneer) of the whole build. But the tiles work great ! once thats done its a snap to put together. so I would not base a desicion on that. I do have 2" lean cement under the tile, and 4" of concrete. If I did it again I would do even more underneath the tiles. And Like a foot thick of perlite  around the entire engine/ oven. I can cook at 800 and the outside is still cool to the touch except right in front by the chimney. Bill/SFNM also has the same model earthstone oven for many years. I think he said  multiple weekly firings for 7 or 8 years? with no issues. He has much more experience than I. and hopefully will comment. We also both agreed we wouolfd go up I size if we did it again the 90 is 36" inside. MOst of the remains very close for the build and I would spend an extra 700-800$ for the Bigger unit (Tuscano?). But as I said these things are great and everybody should have one!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 01:49:25 PM by JConk007 »

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 02:03:31 PM »
That was cool that you talked to the owner. when I go there to test some of there ovens I will make my decision up then . Also earth stone is in that area and i will probably go there also.  Thanks again for the input and I will get back to you when I go. fc

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 02:11:22 PM »
jconk007, awesome oven! It is going to come down to me seeing them in person and see if the earthstone has a huge advantage over the wildwood and if so I will spend a little more money and go with them. thanks have some pizza for me! maby some patsy's .fc

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 02:23:05 PM »
Thanks Fc,
I am not trying to steer you in any direction, by any means. I did not have the luxury of seeing any of my final 4. You should be able to make a good choice after seeing and touching The actual product.
Do they do demos for you at these places? They should have a IR infrared thermometer so you can see the hot spotsin the oven and check the floor / hearth temp. My floor is always well over 800 when I start   You said you have the pad in  place have you decided on exterior finish ? some great shots on the www.fornobravo.com web site of builds and really good details on building. That site was not there when I build so I did the design build thing. I am in Heavy Highway construction civil engineering so I kinda wung it!
Especially the roof. That stumped me for month's. Then I saw a garage being built close by and said hmm thats How ill do it mad a template to get the slope out of a metal stud and decided 45 degrees looked best and easiest to calculate. wah la roof ! the overhang was an after thought too but gave it some real curb appeal.
good luck as allways  Have Fun!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 08:10:13 PM »
FC, Matthew
I had a question on the floor You said it was 4" thick and whats it made of?? Is that the actual 2 pieces that connect to make the floor?

Hey John,
The floor is in fact 2 pieces.  The description from their website is as follows:
"Compared to other wood burning brick ovens, our wood fired ovens are very light weight, due to use of the most modern refractory elements available. For that reason, this series is the number one choice when installing on raised wood floors, or metal stud frame work. Our hearth pieces are already inset with refractory fire bricks, which speeds up the installation process. These pizza ovens can be assembled in 30 minutes or less. Our unique patented parabolic dome design is superior to flat- topped, imported pizza ovens,or hand-built brick ovens, because it allows the flames to roll around the dome for quick heating, and low wood consumption."  He also mentioned that the design is such that all the smoke exits through the chimney & little or no smoke comes through the door opening.

It is important for me that the oven be mobile in that it I would like to take it with me should I decide to move.  I am thinking of using Heat Stopper Rigid Board between the hearth & the shelf.  According to Michael (the owner) this material is just as good as/better than concrete as an insulator.  I really like it because of the huge difference in weight, it's pretty expensive though $489 for the amount that I would need.  Has anyone ever used this before?  I would be interested in knowing how its effectiveness.

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 08:33:29 PM »
that is a good advantage to have the refractory brick inset on the hearth,that would definitely speed the process of putting it together. Also jconk007 made a good suggestion to bring a ir thermometer to check for hot spots and even heating . Thanks for all the great advice everybody this should help a lot when choosing. Hey matt cant you go and pick up the oven you self to save the shipping charges? fc

Offline Matthew

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 08:47:24 PM »
that is a good advantage to have the refractory brick inset on the hearth,that would definitely speed the process of putting it together. Also jconk007 made a good suggestion to bring a ir thermometer to check for hot spots and even heating . Thanks for all the great advice everybody this should help a lot when choosing. Hey matt cant you go and pick up the oven you self to save the shipping charges? fc

I wish, the rep in Toronto doesn't stock any ovens he just talks to you about the ovens & demos his for you, they all ship from LA.  I guess I could pick it up if I wanted to, it's only 2202.2 miles from my house, according to mapquest it'll take me a mere 37 hours and 40 minutes of steady driving. :P

When you speak to Michael see if you can cut a 2 for 1 deal! ;D

Definitely bring a thermometer with you, I sure will along with a shovel.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 08:51:15 PM by Matthew »

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 10:16:28 PM »
I wish, the rep in Toronto doesn't stock any ovens he just talks to you about the ovens & demos his for you, they all ship from LA.  I guess I could pick it up if I wanted to, it's only 2202.2 miles from my house, according to mapquest it'll take me a mere 37 hours and 40 minutes of steady driving. :P

When you speak to Michael see if you can cut a 2 for 1 deal! ;D

Definitely bring a thermometer with you, I sure will along with a shovel.
too bad they don't stock any ovens and that trip is a miserable one at that I have done it before. I never knew there was so much corn in us.  ;D

Offline pizzaeater123

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 11:15:17 AM »
I purchased a wood fired oven from wildwood early last summer.  Generally the experience was a pretty good one.  The staff seems to know their stuff, and were able to teach me a lot about wood fired ovens in just a 15 minute phone call.  The only bump in the road occurred when the trucking company mishandled the oven crate and damaged my oven.  But luckily wildwood didn't waste any time, sending me out a replacement the next day!  They even called a couple months after i bought the oven to ask how everything was going and share some recipes with me.  I've never experienced that from any company before.   

After using my oven for a few months the only problem i have with the oven is that it's too cold right now to go out and use it.  I don't know if i'll ever need to buy another wood fired oven, but if i do I'll call wildwood first. 

Offline Matthew

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 12:04:33 PM »
I purchased a wood fired oven from wildwood early last summer.  Generally the experience was a pretty good one.  The staff seems to know their stuff, and were able to teach me a lot about wood fired ovens in just a 15 minute phone call.  The only bump in the road occurred when the trucking company mishandled the oven crate and damaged my oven.  But luckily wildwood didn't waste any time, sending me out a replacement the next day!  They even called a couple months after i bought the oven to ask how everything was going and share some recipes with me.  I've never experienced that from any company before.   

After using my oven for a few months the only problem i have with the oven is that it's too cold right now to go out and use it.  I don't know if i'll ever need to buy another wood fired oven, but if i do I'll call wildwood first. 

Thanks alot for your input.  Your right about the customer service, it is excellent; all my emails were answered promptly by Michael & he also followed up with a phone call.  Which oven did you purchase?  Is it able to reach 800+ degrees?  How is it at retaining it's thermal heat?   Do you have any photos?

Matthew

Offline pizzaeater123

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 06:06:41 PM »
Thanks alot for your input.  Your right about the customer service, it is excellent; all my emails were answered promptly by Michael & he also followed up with a phone call.  Which oven did you purchase?  Is it able to reach 800+ degrees?  How is it at retaining it's thermal heat?   Do you have any photos?

Matthew

I bough their Middle sized oven, i think that it's called the milan or milano.  I also got a cool temperature gun from wildwood when i bought the oven.  All i do is point the laser at the different parts of the oven and it instantly tells me what temperature it is.  I've had my oven up past 800 degrees.  Actually i tried cooking at 900, but it was really fast.  i burned a pizza when i walked away for a bit, but i guess i should have known better.  It seems to retain the heat well, the outside is cool to the touch when its fired. 

Michael even shared one of his recipes with me, and it has quickly become one of my favorites.  I have a small dutch oven that can fit in the oven, and i use it to make the best pulled pork i've had in a long time.  At the end of the night once i'm done cooking everything else i heat the dutch oven up in the oven, i season and brown all sides of the pork shoulder.  and wrap it tightly in foil, then place it back in the dutch oven and put the dutch oven inside the wood fired oven.  The oven is usually about 350-400 degrees F at this point.  The next morning i get to wake up to beautiful pulled pork shoulder.  This says a lot about the heat retention, as the pork is always still piping hot, many hours after the fire went out!

Don't have any picture right now, i'm kicking myself for not taking some when the weather was better.         

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 08:20:56 PM »

Matthew
hey matt , I talked to a rep named nate today to try and set up a test for next week but he told me that he could not do it because there setting up for a valentines cooking class and the oven is not totally running yet ,so he said maybe the following week . To bad i was looking foward to go but pizzaeater123 has said his works great and that he has no bad expierences with them so thats good . I am dying over hear I need to make some pizzas. :'(

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 09:01:05 PM »
FC,
Sounds like the wildwood would work out great for you. My oven is still 375-400 at 10 am after pizza night  I put these in at 10 am at 375 and take them out at 5-6 pm at 200 degrees they fall off the bone!!! :P
wish I had a picture of the brisket and loin of pork I did. I can tell you this there was not much Talking going on just alot of OMG
go for it guys !
John
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 09:08:47 PM by JConk007 »

pizzapan