Author Topic: Tonites cracker style pie.......  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Jackitup

Tonites cracker style pie.......
« on: February 04, 2009, 09:24:39 PM »
Tonites pie turned out great. I've been using the Sam's Club dough for the last few months and although very good I was ready for a cracker crust (my favorite). I used the following formulation , one that I've used before, and parbaked on oiled foil for 5 minutes then cooled and topped and transferred to a screen. I used the screen for the final bake because the crust was already nice and brown and as you can see from the photos, 'very' crisp.
I've been using a different method of rolling using NO flour for dusting, rather putting the dough between 2 pieces of oiled plastic wrap and rolling it out. It works very well. Also my modified 5 gallon bucket with a domed trouble lite on top worked quite well alsofor a warming oven. I proofed at room temp for about 15 hours then into the bucket as pictured with the dough in a covered plastic container and for 5 hours it held at about 80-84 degrees. The dough rolled out real easy. The pie was topped with Sam's Club commercial sauce, caramelized mushrooms, onions, green peppers and homemade Italian sausage. Cheese was a blend of Stella mozz, colby jack, fresh grated parm and asiago.
The crust was so crispy it crunched on every bite right up til swallowing, all and all a very good pie.
Jon

Flour (100%):
Water (36%):
IDY (1%):
Salt (1.75%):
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (3.5%):
Sugar (1.2%):
Total (143.45%):
 278.15 g  |  9.81 oz | 0.61 lbs
100.13 g  |  3.53 oz | 0.22 lbs
2.78 g | 0.1 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.92 tsp | 0.31 tbsp
4.87 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.87 tsp | 0.29 tbsp
9.74 g | 0.34 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.14 tsp | 0.71 tbsp
3.34 g | 0.12 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.84 tsp | 0.28 tbsp
399.01 g | 14.07 oz | 0.88 lbs | TF = 0.07
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Tonites cracker style pie.......
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 09:37:07 PM »
Jon,

As usual, very nice job with the pizza.

I love your improvised proofing box. And the UFO photo. I can see from that photo why the crust was so crispy.

Peter

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 09:37:50 PM »
Nice work John, and very interesting technique, par bake on foil? Where did you get this recipe Idea?
I did the cracker this weekend also. I did not Par, Pre, Blind, bake the dough as much as you did, and not on foil. (looks crispy at the point before topping?)and I was able to roll the dough a little thinner than you show here. .0625
I think if I would have held my (Huge Communion cracker) crust out  for a picture it would have broken.  I do mine in a cutter pan no screen. Hey yours still looks good ! and taste? Interesting method of rolling I may try that oil sarah wrap thing too someday! keep doin the photos and posting your pies
You do not make mention of eating? as that one prob. did not stay around long. :P
John
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:58:31 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 10:36:30 PM »
Thanks guys,
Me and the wife ate 1/2 of it and will surely hit the rest tomorrow. The foil thingy I've been doing awhile. Flip onto oiled foil, slide onto the peal and slide into the oven on the fibrament stone. Easy to slide on and off, especially using wetter doughs and keeps my stone nice and clean. As far as the plastic wrap, it just jumped in my head one day. Even a dumb ass gets a good idea once in awhile ;-). I get the 18"x3000' roll of commercial Reynolds Plastic Wrap from Sam's. Keep it on top of the fridge and use it all the time. And yes Peter, it does look a bit UFOish don't it ;-)
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

pizzapan