Author Topic: "Additions" to dough  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
"Additions" to dough
« on: February 05, 2009, 07:10:22 PM »
Anyone ever try adding garlic powder/salt, barley, etc. to their dough recipes to give them extra zing?
"You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - John Wooden

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: "Additions" to dough
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 07:52:31 PM »
Anyone ever try adding garlic powder/salt, barley, etc. to their dough recipes to give them extra zing?

Tony,

I personally don't add flavor additives to dough but there are some people who use various herbs and onion and garlic powders in their doughs. However, onion and garlic powders used in excess can act as dough relaxants and result in an overly soft dough. In that respect, the onion and garlic powders behave like PZ-44, which is an additive (relaxant) that some pizza operators use to tame a “bucky” dough, typically a high-gluten dough.

There is one pizza chain, called Hungry Howie's, that is well known for its use of various crust flavor enhancers. They are applied topically to the rims of their pizzas. You might get some general ideas from their menu, at http://www.hungryhowies.com/downloads/HHmenu.pdf.

It is also possible to add other flours, such as whole wheat flour, soy flour and rye flour, but they will affect the overall gluten levels and many other aspects of the finished crust. Ingredients like honey and barley malt syrup (nondiastatic) can also be added to pizza dough, for both color and taste.

Peter

Offline wolfeman

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 08:03:43 PM »

I do from time to time and the kids and I enjoy it. I am just starting out and I like trying different spices. I ordered a scale today and hope to get a mixer soon so I guess I am getting serious. :-)

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 09:17:31 PM »
Pete,
       Thanks again for the wealth of info.  It appears it might be safer to just add to the crust rim as in your post (Hungry Howie's) to not change the gluten levels.  Pizza Pipeline, a local chain, also has different flavored crusts which made me think of this post but I think they as well, add to the crust rim instead of the dough.
"You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - John Wooden

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 11:42:22 AM »
Every once in a while I'll throw in some mashed roasted garlic, just enough so that you can barely sense its presence. The garlic fragrance when it just comes out of the oven, is more pronounced than the flavor it adds to the crust. I haven't done this in a while. I'm making up a batch today. Think I'll give a try.

Bill/SFNM