Author Topic: San Marzano Tomatoes - I don't get it.  (Read 8333 times)

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
San Marzano Tomatoes - I don't get it.
« on: February 08, 2009, 12:47:39 PM »
ok....  I am ready to have my mind changed. :-\

I am a foodie.  I weigh 300#.  I love Italian food.  I can taste the differences between quality and non-quality.

and!

I am resonable and I am open to changing my mind if shown the differnce.

But.... :angel:

I JUST DON'T GET IT!  I do not think that San Marzano Toms (yes DOP) are as good as fresh pack products like Stanislaus Tomatoes.

I have tried a few brands... and they do nothing for me.  Nothing.

I have had Cento, Ital brands (two kinds), and a couple others...

Ok.....  that being said... someone sell me.

Frankie G

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: San Marzano Tomatoes - I don't get it.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 12:50:43 PM »
FG,

I can't sell you on that! IMO Eden organic crushed tomatoes are better & cheaper. I had several guests last night trying to figure out what I added to my sauce to give it that sweet tomato taste.

PNW

Offline Matthew

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 03:48:22 PM »
I'm gonna have to ditto that one.  I use to be a die hard San Marzano guy & if they weren't stamped DOP I wouldn't even look at them.  Since trying Stanislaus & Escalon I'm also sold!

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 04:15:59 PM »
See I am the opposite.

Eden organic are way too acidic for me, though I do use 6in1's for some pizza, and once in a while pasta sauce.

If I'm making spaghetti marinara or a neo stye pizza it's lights out difference for me (meaning lightly or not cooked). Even for pappa al pomodoro (tomato and bread soup) I prefer SM's. SM's have way more meat and less seeds as well, and fresh ones have very thin skin.

The American brands always beat out the Italian brands In Americas Test Kitchen tastings for the same reasons you guys state (fresher). They also say it's because they are packed in puree, and American brands are packed in juice. Some people describe the Americans as brighter, while I say SM's are more complex and tomatoey.

Bill SF/NM has a super palate-maybe he'll chime in.

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 04:31:55 PM »
I just ordered a couple cans of the Eden to try.
Cant wait to give them a try.

Offline djones148

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 08:11:29 PM »
San Marzano's certainly have a different flavor... I'd bet that in a blind taste test in the U.S., the California tomatoes would always win because people here are accustomed to that sweeter taste.

Also, not everyone in Italy thinks that San Marzanos are the best. Travel and Leisure had an article (found here http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/tastes-of-italy
) where they talked to a guy with Slow Food in Naples and he said the following:

" "Did Pace give you his spiel about extra-virgin olive oil, San Marzano tomatoes, and buffalo mozzarella?" Francesco Colonnesi inquired with a faint chuckle. Wearing a cream linen suit crinkled just so, Colonnesi introduced himself as a city judge, amateur pizza scholar, and member of the Naples division of Slow Food. "Don't listen to Pace," he implored. Buffalo mozzarella oozes too much fat, and the whole San Marzano thing is, to Colonnesi, a ploy to promote a boutique regional product."

Offline Jersey Pizza Pride

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 10:21:27 PM »
I couldn't agree more.  Seven years ago when San Marzanos were less popular and I had to go to NYC to get them, they were incredible.  You couldn't even put anything else in the same league as a stamped DOP.  Over the years as they have grown much much much more popular, I notice that some of the brands are just plain horrible.  I'm guessing this has something to do with supply and demand.  What I do now is look for rare imported brands that you can't find in bulk as much.  Small italian delis and asian/italian farmer's markets by me have lots of different ones.  Then it's just luck of the draw.  I tried a brand called Merro a few months ago which were so-so.  At 1.25 a can I couldn't complain.

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 01:56:40 PM »
does anyone know what tomatoes Grimaldi's uses?

They were wonderful on a pie!

Frankie G

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 02:41:18 PM »
does anyone know what tomatoes Grimaldi's uses?

Frankie G,

I don't know for sure what Grimaldi's in Brooklyn is using for tomatoes but Grimaldi's is now part of a chain with centralized purchasing. As I noted at Reply 16 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3669.msg54056.html#msg54056 when I visited the Grimaldi's in Scottsdale, AZ, I was told that the tomatoes are Carmelinas, a non-DOP San Marzano.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 03:49:21 PM »
Peter, thats also what they were using at the Brooklyn Grimaldi's last time I was there.  Here is a link to the product

http://www.carmelinabrands.com/pages/product_detail.php?pID=30011
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 03:53:07 PM by scott r »

Offline BMAN111

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 04:09:21 PM »
Haven't you heard... San Marzanos are grown in the volcanic soil of Mt. Vesuvius!!  Anyone who is anybody on the Neapolitan scene says San Marzanos are the absolute sh@t!!  You must agree and conform immediately!!  We will tolerate no independent thought or descent!!  :) 

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 04:28:27 PM »
http://www.carmelinabrands.com/pages/san_marzano.php

Thanks Scott.Carmelina goes into more detail here, is worth the read,and you can decide for yourself.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 04:36:40 PM »
David,

That's the page I linked in my Grimaldi's-Scottsdale post.

Peter

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 04:55:08 PM »
Oops! Sorry Peter,..delete it please. :-[
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 05:22:20 PM »
David,

No harm. I didn't expect people to read my entire Grimaldi's post to see that, especially since I identified the tomatoes.

Peter

Offline BMAN111

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 10:17:53 PM »
I looked around today, trying to find a cash and carry in Houston that would sell to the general public.  No luck so far.  Do you all know of someone who I could mail order this through.  I would pay one of you  all up front if you would ship me some. I would like to try the "PIZZAIOLO® AUTENTICO PIZZA SAUCE".  I have nothing against using prepared sauce, but just haven't found anything that good at the grocery store.  This stuff looks great.

Offline BMAN111

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 09:12:17 AM »
Disregard.  I ordered some on PennMac... glad I found them.  Ordered some Grande cheese to try as well. Thx.

Offline NepaBill

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 12:04:31 PM »
I don't get it either.  While I am sure that there are some superb brands of tomato products from Italy.  I don't buy into this San Marzano Hype.  Hell..  Hawaii has volcanoes I wonder if they have any quality tomato products?  I'm sure it would cost even more to get them..  I recently read the following regarding San Marzano:

http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/souptonuts/specialty_tomatoes.shtml

San Marzano Tomatoes
September 8, 2007

When the subject of tomatoes comes up at The Splendid Table the crew just smiles and indulges Lynne. Tomatoes are her passion, after all, and she knows what she's talking about. But when she sailed into the studio recently and announced she had been experimenting with a $26 can of San Marzano tomatoes the crew wondered if things had finally gone too far. Who but a mad woman would pay $26 for a can of tomatoes? Then she explained it was all in the name of "research."

San Marzanos are the Italian canned tomatoes every food writer tells you to buy. Everyone except Lynne, that is. She maintains they are hype and the ones she's tasted from Italy aren't very good. Then Nancy Harmon Jenkins was a guest on the show and talking San Marzano tomatoes. Nancy is a superb researcher whose latest book is Cucina del Sole: A Celebration of Southern Italian Cooking (William Morrow, 2007).

Nancy found out why the so-called San Marzanos aren't that great. First, most of them aren't grown in San Marzano's home turf, the area near Mount Vesuvius with its special volcanic soil. Second, years ago there was a change in the type of seed used. Now, according to Nancy, the original seed has been found and the true San Marzano is once again being grown in its original location and soil.

The gentleman who started growing the tomatoes produces a brand called Il Miracolo di San Gennaro, "The Miracle of San Gennaro." You can order them online at www.gustiamo.com. Be warned: a 28-ounce can costs $11.50 plus $15.00 shipping (other items ordered at the same time are included in that shipping fee).

Are they worth it? Lynne says the tomatoes are very delicate, with excellent sweet/acid balance and mouth-filling good taste. These are the ones to use in simple sauces—a little olive oil, maybe some basil, not too much garlic. Are they worth ten times the price of Lynne's favorite canned tomatoes from the supermarket? No, unless you are a fanatic with deep pockets.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 01:18:06 PM »
BMan,
I have tried that sauce got it from Penn Mac as well. Though it was very good, a few tasters even commented they liked the sauce. It does have a stong basil flovor to it I would use again But the #10 can is too much even with pizza parties I like to mix it up .
Enjoy and post your findings ***1/2 of  ***** stars from JConk
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 03:56:53 PM »
I agree with you Frankie. I use Stanislaus and I think they're great.

pizzapan