Author Topic: Papa John Clone  (Read 3708 times)

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
Papa John Clone
« on: February 08, 2009, 09:22:54 PM »
Here's my shot at a Papa John's classic clone from Pete-zza's recipe.  We went pep on all of it and added 1/4 mushroom and 1/4 pineapple.  Did a 7 day ferment in fridge.  Turned out great, I think.  Check it out!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 10:36:59 PM by Pizzacrazy7 »
"You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - John Wooden

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Papa John Clone
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 12:15:02 PM »
Tony,

You did well. I am glad to see that someone was willing to try out the PJ clone version with the long fermentation. How did the pizza taste? And what type of flour did you use?

Peter

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 12:54:13 PM »
Peter,
      The pizza tasted great.  I used KABF.  It had "spots" on top due to long fermentation and had a great taste.  Nice and crispy bottom, I used Precious brand 2% mozz (Still can't find whole milk cheese ANYWHERE) with a little provolone thrown in.  It worked though, no burning!  Probably my best tasting pizza to date. 
"You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - John Wooden

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 06:27:01 PM »
Tony,

I forgot to ask you if you also used one of the Papa John's clone sauces and, if so, how did it turn out?

Peter

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 07:25:32 PM »
Peter,

Yes, I used your reverse-engineered PJ sauce clone except I used Stanislaus Full Red Pizza Sauce for base instead of the 6-1's.  We all liked it except the wife.  She thought the sauce had a strange taste.....too much of..??  I dont know, but me and the kids thought it was good.  Although, I still am looking for that "perfect" sauce, trying different recipes out.  She did love the crust though.   :chef:

Tony 

Offline Vlap

• PetMarkersUSA
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 11:38:55 AM »
Excellent work! Making me hungry for pizza here.