Author Topic: Mixer Vs Hand Kneading  (Read 1265 times)

Offline JohnLondon

Mixer Vs Hand Kneading
« on: February 15, 2009, 07:03:41 PM »
OK, started out mixing and kneading dough by hand .Recently bought a mixer, and have run into a problem.

I am using the recipe in reply #8 of this thread http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7671.msg65852.html#msg65852

This is the recipe that I use all the time. I havent changed anything at all.

When I remove the dough, after kneading ) from the mixer it is a bit sticky.When it comes time to shape it, it is like glue.It sticks to my table top. Tried shaping on parchment paper, it sticks to it,I have to peel it off.(Before shaping I dip the dough ball in a 50/50 mix of flour/semolina)

I mix the dough by hand.

To the water I add the IDY,Salt.Sugar and Oil and stir it so everything has disolved. Then I add about half the flour and mix it well, then add the rest to form a dough ball.
Then I use the dough hook and knead it for about 6-7 minutes.
Remove from bowl,shape into a ball then place it in an oiled bowl,cover and let it rest.
What am I doing wrong?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Mixer Vs Hand Kneading
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 07:18:15 PM »
JohnLondon,

If I understood your post correctly, it sounds like you are starting the dough by hand and using the mixer only for kneading. Is that correct? If so, is there a reason why you aren't using your mixer for everything?

Also, can you tell me the temperature of the water you used to make the dough?

Peter

Offline PizzaEater

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Mixer Vs Hand Kneading
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 08:11:56 PM »
What brand or model mixer are you using?

As an experiment try adding everything except the oil in your bowl, turn on mixer and add water in a steady stream. Just as the dough begins to come together add the oil. Also double check the flour and water weights, I have made the mistake of miss-wieghing my flour and or water, doing this can cause exactly what you discribe. With the the hydration level in the recipe your working with you should not have the problem you're having.

D

pizzapan