Author Topic: Best Pizza Stone to buy?  (Read 18598 times)

Offline elbandjen

Best Pizza Stone to buy?
« on: February 18, 2009, 02:26:38 AM »
I am VERY new to making pizza (havent even made my first pizza yet) so I was wondering, in your opinion what is the best pizza stone to buy or one that you recommend? Also, im thinking I will test my first pizza this weekend, so might not have time to go out and buy one(and where can i buy one at) so if i dont get one by the weekend, will a pizza stone really make a difference?Thanks.

Offline dzpiez

Re: Best Pizza Stone to buy?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 03:38:29 AM »
You can check out FibraMent-D stones, http://www.bakingstone.com/order.php  They are good at high heat.

Online Matthew

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 07:59:35 AM »
I am VERY new to making pizza (havent even made my first pizza yet) so I was wondering, in your opinion what is the best pizza stone to buy or one that you recommend? Also, im thinking I will test my first pizza this weekend, so might not have time to go out and buy one(and where can i buy one at) so if i dont get one by the weekend, will a pizza stone really make a difference?Thanks.

Depending on the type of pizza that your making it could make the world of difference.  I use both a Fibrament-D & a corderite kiln shelf.  Stay away from the cheap stones, they crack very easily.

Offline Fingerstyle

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 10:56:47 AM »
I've never had a firebrick crack from normal use.  "Splits" (half fire brick) are a high-performance, inexpensive pizza baking stone option yet often overlooked.
"... I say we ride some gravity." - Patrick Rizzo http://vimeo.com/1654340

Offline PizzaEater

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 06:10:49 PM »
Go to a local tile store and get a few unglazed quarry tiles for about 50 cents each, my $30 pizza stone hasn't been used in 3 years. If a tile cracks big deal leave it there or if you want to replace it it's only 50 or so cents. Measure your oven rack then go buy enough tiles easly fit cover the rack, for me it took 9 tiles, $4.50. I place the rack in the lowest setting, add the tiles and leave them there. The oven will heat more evenly when baking cakes, bread, roasts, etc. I even bought a third rack to use when in those rare cases I need two racks.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 06:54:10 PM by PizzaEater »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 06:44:27 PM »
If you find you're not happy with the tiles as PizzaEater has suggested, go with the Fibrament stone. I've had one for several years and love it. Not much money lost with giving the tiles a try.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline nirc

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 08:36:41 PM »