Author Topic: Buttery Dough Recipes?  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
Buttery Dough Recipes?
« on: February 28, 2009, 12:42:37 PM »
I'm looking for some recipes that require butter in them.  Haven't had much luck yet.  My wife really likes some of the local pizza joints that have a hint of a butter taste in the crust.  I do think it's added at the dough level and not brushed on afterwards.  Any suggestions?
"You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - John Wooden

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
Re: Buttery Dough Recipes?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 01:03:55 PM »
PC
Not sure what type of pizza you are making, but I just made a sicilian using butter to lube the pan.  It did not burn after 15 min at 500 and sure had a butter flavor (I used 2 Tblpsns).  It was also a bit salty so the next time I try this I will use unsalted butter.  Otherwise, many recipes use a fat (oil) in the dough, so why not melted butter?  It works in pancake batters and breads so may be worth a whirl?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 01:17:15 PM »
Tony,

What Hog says about substituting butter for oil in a dough recipe is correct. Since a teaspoon of butter weighs about the same as a teaspoon of oil (it's actually a little bit more but not in a significant sense), you can substitute butter for the oil on an equal basis. That is, the baker's percents can be the same. For a dough that does not contain any oil, Tom Lehmann frequently suggests adding 3% butter to get the benefits of the butter flavor.

Peter

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 02:44:14 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm going to have to give it a try soon.
"You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - John Wooden