Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 298084 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #1975 on: September 05, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
Inspired by Norma's 55%'s with higher oil

100% Flour, 10 oz (1/3 ConAgra AP, 2/3 AT)
~56% H20
4 tsp veg oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp diastatic malt
1/8 tsp ADY

I don't think I've ever worked with such low hydration pizza dough. Getting close to bagel territory. Its also a couple oz's lighter than my typical NY 16", so it's got less of a pronounced cornicione. Pretty fun to work with and open. MUCH higher oil content than I typically use. Single overnight in the fridge. Baked 5 minutes 525F on 1/3" steel (4 on broil). Topped with 10 oz cheese (2/3 Frigo WMLM muzz, 1/3 Cracker Barrel Sharp White Cheddar). ~8 oz 7/11 crushed tomatoes, top poured with an espresso milk steamer pitcher. Spank of garlic powder and oregano and a pinch of salt. Pecorino post bake. All very tasty.

Serotiny,

Your boardwalk pizza looks tasty!  I also think that dough feels a lot drier than my normal boardwalk dough I now use on my other thread.  Good to hear you thought the dough was pretty fun to work with and open.  Glad to hear you thought it was tasty.

Congratulations to you and you wife!

Norma

Offline hodgey1

• Supporting Member
  • Where is winter?
    • My WFO project
« Reply #1976 on: September 05, 2015, 10:23:33 PM »
Inspired by Norma's 55%'s with higher oil

100% Flour, 10 oz (1/3 ConAgra AP, 2/3 AT)
~56% H20
4 tsp veg oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp diastatic malt
1/8 tsp ADY
Nice looking pie R2. Bottom looked particularly good!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1977 on: September 27, 2015, 03:05:05 PM »
After a trip to NYC to see things on Friday (one place we visited was the former Worlds Fair site), (and a visit with my daughter and family) we were off to NJ to do different things on Saturday.
Our first stop on Saturday was Wildwood, NJ.  There was the classic car show and Irish weekend in Wildwood.  We first went to the beach.  It was so windy going onto the beach. The wind was blowing very hard and drifting sand everywhere, including sand blasting your skin, ruining any hair do you had and making walking difficult.  My daughter was ahead of me and walking in pools of water.  I didn't want to walk in them because I had long jeans on.  I thought I was going to find an easier way to get to the water.  I saw a long stretch of beach leading to the water that had no pools of water.  That was a huge mistake to try and walk that way to the beach.  As soon as I put my one foot into that sand it started to sink way up my calf.  I almost fell headfirst into the wet quicksand.  :-D I didn't see the sign farther up that said not to walk on that stretch of the beach. (photo number 58 is where I was not supposed to walk)  I almost panicked in getting my feet out of that sand.  We wanted to hunt for sea shells, but no unbroken ones could be found.  We then went up onto the boardwalk at the Wildwood Crest end, right at the Convention Center.  The whole boardwalk was packed full of people and classic cars. It was even hard to walk on the boardwalk with all of the people.  I checked the first Mack's pizza place we came to and some of their pies looked to dark on the rims.  We then walked down the boardwalk to the other Mack's Pizza.  It was almost full with customers.  I took a few photos on the way in.  It can be seen how flat their dough balls were.  I am not sure why they were so flat.  :-\ If anyone knows why the dough balls were so flat let me know.  No piemen where throwing any doughs at either Mack's Pizzas.  We were seated in the back.  My daughter's pepperoni slices were too greasy for her tastes, and a little darker on the bottom than she likes.  My one slice on the bottom wasn't too dark, but the other one was.  It didn't taste burnt though.  I wouldn't give Mack's crust very good ratings, but the cheese and sauce tasted very good.  :drool: Mack's cheese is very buttery tasting.  I checked the oven temperature on the digital readout on the way out and it was running between 527-528 degrees F.  On the way back I went into the Mack's Pizza near Wildwood Crest.  That had a temperature reading device that looked like a thermometer dial.  It was reading at 600 degrees F.  I wonder why the big differences in temperature readings the two different Mack's Pizza were using to bake their pizzas.

The first photo is before I left my daughter's home in Staten Island while I was holding my granddaughter.  I would never post what my hair looked like after we left Wildwood.   :-D

Norma 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 03:24:44 PM by norma427 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1978 on: September 27, 2015, 03:10:06 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1979 on: September 27, 2015, 03:13:50 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1980 on: September 27, 2015, 03:21:40 PM »
The last photo is the Unisphere at the NYFW site in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park.

Norma

Edit:  I almost forgot to post that I heard "Oh Those Wildwood Days" song while walking on the boardwalk.  That song brought back many pleasant memories of Wildwood.

I would have had another memory if I will have fallen head first into that quicksand.  That would have been a mess if things would have fallen out of my pocketbook, and I would have had a face that fell into that quicksand.   :-D

Norma

« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 03:30:07 PM by norma427 »

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1981 on: September 28, 2015, 10:43:41 AM »
Oh my! Hey Norma,  glad you survived the weekend!  Quicksand! I had no idea we had anything like that in NJ!

Thanks for posting those boardwalk pix (we were at the Point Pleasant boardwalk on Saturday..windy? Oh yes!! If I had hair, it would have been blown wild as you said yours was..no worries there for me, but our hats went flying a few times!

Now I will say that those are some mighty oily looking slices..first quicksand, then oil-slick! what day you had!  Those doughs look flat as pancakes..hold the tomato sauce, pass the maple syrup  :-D   With each passing mention here of Mack's, my desire to try their pie  lessens..not that Wildwood is nearby for us. In fact, have only driven through in off-season a a visit to Cape May.

Offline hodgey1

• Supporting Member
  • Where is winter?
    • My WFO project
« Reply #1982 on: September 28, 2015, 12:19:19 PM »
Norma,

Looks like you had a good trip. Those Mack slices looked very good but I think yours look better! :)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1983 on: September 28, 2015, 07:31:33 PM »
Oh my! Hey Norma,  glad you survived the weekend!  Quicksand! I had no idea we had anything like that in NJ!

Thanks for posting those boardwalk pix (we were at the Point Pleasant boardwalk on Saturday..windy? Oh yes!! If I had hair, it would have been blown wild as you said yours was..no worries there for me, but our hats went flying a few times!

Now I will say that those are some mighty oily looking slices..first quicksand, then oil-slick! what day you had!  Those doughs look flat as pancakes..hold the tomato sauce, pass the maple syrup  :-D   With each passing mention here of Mack's, my desire to try their pie  lessens..not that Wildwood is nearby for us. In fact, have only driven through in off-season a a visit to Cape May.

Bill,

Thanks for telling us it was really windy on the Point Pleasant boardwalk on Saturday too.  You should have walked down to the water.  Lol, about if you had hair it would have been blown as wild as mine was.  :-D I had to go visit someone about the beginning of deck ovens right after we left Wildwood.  I was so embarrassed how my hair looked when it was the first time I was going to meet someone.  :-[

I am not sure if it was really quicksand, but my one foot really sank fast up to almost up to my knee.  Luckily I had only started to walk in that very soft fluffy sand and the other foot only went down to my ankle. This is an article about quicksand in Ocean City  http://ocnjdaily.com/shell-seekers-escape-icy-quicksand-on-ocean-city-beach/

Jim Eberwine, a retired National Weather Service meteorologist and expert on local conditions, pointed to a scientific explanation that indicates quicksand can occur wherever sand and underground water mix.

The sign that was posted at the beginning of that fluffy and soft looking sand said, “Do not walk in this path” or something like that, and some kind of water drains right there from Wildwood.  I only saw that when we went back up to the Convention Center.  My daughter laughed so hard it wasn't funny.  She then told me the same thing had happened to her and my granddaughter one time when there were at the same spot.

It might sound odd but I like those oily slices, but not as oily as the pepperoni slices my daughter had.   There is still something magic about Mack's cheese, at least for my tastes.  The smell outside and inside of Mack's was heavenly too!  :angel:

On the way home my daughter's GPS wanted to take us up to Philly to get home.  I said no way do we want to go that way because the Pope was visiting Philly.  I couldn't remember what exit to get off of route 55 to go towards the Delaware Memorial Bridge.  I had a old map at home I always followed going back and forth.  It did me no good sitting at home.  When we got a little farther on route 55 it said the Ben Franklin Bridge was closed due to the Pope visiting.  Luckily. somehow the GPS detoured us and we did get to go over the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

I still wonder why those dough balls were so flat.

It was a wild two days.  First to Astoria, Queen and other places in NYC and then to Wildwood with another stop on the way home.

Norma
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 07:33:09 PM by norma427 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1984 on: September 28, 2015, 07:37:18 PM »
Norma,

Looks like you had a good trip. Those Mack slices looked very good but I think yours look better! :)

Hodgey,

Yes, the trip was good.  I always enjoy going to Wildwood.  If I could take Mack's cheese and their sauce and then put those onto my crusts I would.  I thought I had Mack's cheese figured out but I am not too sure of that now.  Mack's sauce was sweeter than I had recalled.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1985 on: October 02, 2015, 08:52:48 PM »
This is Wildwood365 facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/Wildwood365

I hope everyone in Wildwood and up and down the Jersey Shore stays safe, and the flooding isn't too bad.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
« Reply #1987 on: November 27, 2015, 06:51:05 PM »
How does New Jersey Board walk differ from other styles?

How can I get into it?

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1988 on: November 27, 2015, 07:52:23 PM »
Minolta Rokkor,

The kinds of New Jersey boardwalk style of pizzas can be many, and most are like a NY style pizza.  I have only tried to make one something like a Mack's Pizza or a Manco & Manco.  They can have a Lehmann dough.  The difference is the cheese is cheddar and there is a spiral application of the sauce.  You can see what I offer at market now at Reply 1094 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30641.msg403842#msg403842

You can see the type of cheddar I used on this thread at Reply 1917 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg393635#msg393635 If you read down from that post you can see I used Peter's formulation and how the boardwalk style pizza turned out.

The cheddar is applied first, then a spiral pattern of sauce then more cheese.

All depends on how much you want to get into something like a Mack's pizza.  If you would make a regular Lehmann dough and then apply your cheese and sauce in a spiral pattern I would think your pizza would taste different than if the sauce was put on first and then the cheese.

Norma

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #1989 on: November 27, 2015, 09:12:14 PM »
Thanks for the input. I also have that brand of cheese in stock at my grocery store.

I'll try this out asap.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1990 on: November 28, 2015, 08:59:02 AM »
Thanks for the input. I also have that brand of cheese in stock at my grocery store.

I'll try this out asap.

Minolta Rokkor,

I did post a video of dressing an attempt at a Mack's pizza at Reply 1954 with two other videos .  This is the video if you are interested in about how much cheese and sauce to apply and how to apply them. 

You can see there isn't a lot of cheddar applied in two applications.

If you want to use Peter's dough formulation and couldn't find the link let me know.

Let us know your results and what you think of cheddar as the cheese for a pizza.

Norma

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #1991 on: December 06, 2015, 02:34:24 PM »
Ok, I just tried to make  NJ Boardwlk Pizza Norma, mine ascetically didn't come out like yours.

I'm just going to stick to lower hydration dough. 58% to 60%. Because I can not form a neat 65% hydro skin.

Taste wise, I liked it a lot, it was perfect, i'm not sugar coating it was excellent. This was the first time cheddar cheese actually worked for me. This brand BARELY oils off.

The cracker barrel sharp white cheddar compared to mozzarella has a deeper and surprisingly dynamic flavor. It was robust, yet smooth. I prefer straight cheddar over straight mozzarella.

Also putting the cheese down first made the cheese down first made the sauce take a front row seat. This is probably why the cheese didn't over power the pizza.

One day i'll come back and give it fair justice. I know exactly what went wrong and I'll output a much more authentic looking pie.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 02:36:51 PM by Minolta Rokkor »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1992 on: December 06, 2015, 05:59:27 PM »
Ok, I just tried to make  NJ Boardwlk Pizza Norma, mine ascetically didn't come out like yours.

I'm just going to stick to lower hydration dough. 58% to 60%. Because I can not form a neat 65% hydro skin.

Taste wise, I liked it a lot, it was perfect, i'm not sugar coating it was excellent. This was the first time cheddar cheese actually worked for me. This brand BARELY oils off.

The cracker barrel sharp white cheddar compared to mozzarella has a deeper and surprisingly dynamic flavor. It was robust, yet smooth. I prefer straight cheddar over straight mozzarella.

Also putting the cheese down first made the cheese down first made the sauce take a front row seat. This is probably why the cheese didn't over power the pizza.

One day i'll come back and give it fair justice. I know exactly what went wrong and I'll output a much more authentic looking pie.

Minolta Rokkor,

Your boardwalk style pizza looks very tasty!  :) You did use a high hydration.  What kind of flour did you use? 

Glad to hear you liked the cheddar as the cheese on a pizza. I think that is why I like some cheddars on pizzas.  IMO it does give a better flavor.  I tried to figure out for years why Mack's pizza cheese always tasted so different from other NY style pizzas.  It took awhile but finally found out it was the cheddar that made them taste so different. 

Since you liked the cheddar down first maybe sometime you could try the sauce first.  You will have an altogether different tasting pizza but the cheddar will still taste good.

Thanks for giving the boardwalk style pizza a try.  dscoleri that started this thread would be pleased.   8)

Norma

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1993 on: December 07, 2015, 12:47:12 PM »
That looks excellent!
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online R2-Bayou

« Reply #1994 on: December 08, 2015, 11:15:44 AM »
I got a couple Manco & Manco Christmas ornaments by calling their 9th St location, (609) 927-9900. $5/each, $2 shipping. They shipped quickly. Super cool little pizza peels!
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1995 on: December 08, 2015, 09:33:25 PM »
I got a couple Manco & Manco Christmas ornaments by calling their 9th St location, (609) 927-9900. $5/each, $2 shipping. They shipped quickly. Super cool little pizza peels!

Serotiny,

I agree the Manco & Manco little pizza peels are cool!  8)

Norma

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #1996 on: January 13, 2016, 06:37:23 PM »
I'm guessing this thread will be slammed soon, as it contains an award winning recipe  :chef: