Author Topic: Detroit area cheese maker  (Read 3906 times)

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
Detroit area cheese maker
« on: February 21, 2009, 10:35:16 AM »
I must have driven past this place and parked at the building next door a few thousand times without ever putting 2 and 2 together.  Small Italian family owned cheese maker but they do sell to the public (cash only) and in small quantities.  They told me no additives, no preservatives, they make fresh mozz every day and looks like about a dozen or so types of cheeses avail.  I picked up just over a pound of each fresh mozz, whole milk mozz, and provolone for $12.10!  I'm still a newbie and wouldn't really know the diff between great and so so mozz, so can't compare or comment on quality, but figured they might rate a try for anyone in the area.

S Serra Cheese Co.
19717 15 Mile Rd.
Clinton Township, MI 48035

Hard to spot and no visible signage from the street, so for anyone looking, access off Groesbeck, just N of 15 mile on the E side of the street, look for the Fedex sign and pull into the Fedex drive, stay straight and look for the white building behind the Fedex building.

Offline Meeskaela

Re: Detroit area cheese maker
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 10:45:19 PM »
The store is near to the FedEx building. Can FedEx deliver if I am going to make an order from them? I'm too far from the area.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 04:04:17 AM by Meeskaela »
By: moving

Offline 3.14 Guy

• THIS GUY loves great pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 05:15:20 PM »
WOW, i never even thought about that place.  I live right around the corner from them too!  I will have to stop in there and get some good pizza cheese.  Thanks for the insight!
Making great pizza, outstanding beer and fantastic BBQ.  This is my passion!

Offline TedW

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 03:40:55 PM »
Any update on the cheese quality for pies? I'd love to give my business to Detroit

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 10:56:20 AM »
Since originally posting and having tried lots of cheeses in the meantime, I give Sera's the thumbs up.  Their mozz's are all I ever use now (both fresh and whole milk) plus they make a great aged Caciocavallo.  I will inquire about shipping next time I visit but kinda doubt it.  But if you're local their prices are good and it might be worth the trip.

Offline TedW

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 11:37:40 AM »
Thanks a lot for that feedback. I think I'll contact them

Offline D C

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 01:25:43 PM »
I was just looking them up after your reference in your Detroit Style thread.  Wanted to check the location and see if I could find a site with hours or locations to buy.

Googled S. Serra Cheese Company for info and found this nice warning letter from the FDA.  Yikes.
http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/2013/ucm356530.htm

Offline redox

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 04:23:32 PM »
I was just looking them up after your reference in your Detroit Style thread.  Wanted to check the location and see if I could find a site with hours or locations to buy.

Googled S. Serra Cheese Company for info and found this nice warning letter from the FDA.  Yikes.
http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/2013/ucm356530.htm

Yikes! Glad I read all the way down. I was thinking road trip! Now, not so much.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 05:44:49 PM »
I've called them and been told the do not sell to the public and not to come.  Lucky for me I guess.
-Jeff