Author Topic: strange toppings anyone?  (Read 15101 times)

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
Re: strange toppings anyone?
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2006, 01:01:45 PM »
Perk,
Do you make your chili with chunks of meat, or ground up meat?

I like mine with chunks, but simmered long enough that they start to fall apart and shred. Lamb and beef is a good combo for chili.

I'm with you I like chunks, cut real small though, almost diced. That's the way I do it if I have time.
But for less hassel, I just use ground meat. Sometimes I also mix sausage in there too.

I think I am going to try a little chili pizza today.  Since I have some chili in a crock pot  I made last night.

-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2006, 03:15:46 PM »
Let us know how it turns out.

Can I make a suggestion on the cheese though? Try Colby Jack, or Colby Pepper Jack instead of Cheddar. It melts, bubbles and looks better.

Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline PizzaEater

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2006, 11:17:20 PM »
cream cheese, pulled pork, venison, turkey, quail

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2006, 10:24:05 AM »
Andouille & bacon pizza YUMM!!! :chef:

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2006, 10:46:54 AM »
007bond,

I don't see what is so unusual about andouille and bacon on a pizza. In fact, if you add an egg to it, you will end up with something like I described and showed at Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,637.msg6311.html#msg6311:chef:

Peter

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2006, 12:23:05 PM »
007bond,

I don't see what is so unusual about andouille and bacon on a pizza. In fact, if you add an egg to it, you will end up with something like I described and showed at Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,637.msg6311.html#msg6311:chef:

Peter

Not for people down south its not unusual I'm in La. & your in Tx. (I think) But try gittin aundouille up north without mailordering

Offline jkandell

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2007, 03:22:45 AM »
I made a surprisingly good pizza with a dryish lentil-soup topping.  Lentils cooked with dicded celery and carrots, seasoned with a few herbs and a touch of fennel seed. ?Thin layer of tomato sauce, the lentils atop, add in chunks of sausage.  Wouldn't think it would be good, would you?

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2007, 06:53:29 PM »
Sauerkraut, I can't believe no one has mentioned it. It's great. One of my favorites is sauerkraut, sausage, onion and bacon, it rocks. And that chicken liver thing sounds awfully good to me. Just made a big batch of liver and onions a couple weeks ago with fried potatoes, collard greens and homemade bread on the side...mmmmm
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline pkasten

• Pizzas of the world unite!
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2007, 08:11:08 PM »
oh, yeah.. kraut is great on pizza.  once in a while at work I'll make one with our sauerkraut and pastrami (both house-made), a little mustard aioli for sauce, and cheddar cheese... kind of a reubenish pizza.

one we did recently that came out really well was roasted garlic puree, roasted "baby bear" pumpkin, julienned poblano chile, and gruyere.  crisp up a little guanciale and you've got quite a pie.

another recent favorite of mine had a mix of smashed roasted garlic and mascarpone cheese on the base, with some blanched rapini, crumbled butter-poached french red fingerling potatoes, bacon, cheddar, and aji dulce chiles for that great habanero flavor without much heat.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2007, 10:49:04 PM »
I like the sound of that reuben pizza of yours, I'll have to try that. And those aji dulce chiles sound great. I'm a Habaholic of sorts, where do you get the aji dulce chiles, haven't heard of them before. Can't beat that hab flavor with anything...the best.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline creampuff

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2007, 11:28:45 PM »
I like the sound of that reuben pizza of yours, I'll have to try that. And those aji dulce chiles sound great. I'm a Habaholic of sorts, where do you get the aji dulce chiles, haven't heard of them before. Can't beat that hab flavor with anything...the best.
Jon

A "reuben pizza" sounds freaking awesome...will have to give it a whirl this weekend :chef:

Offline pkasten

• Pizzas of the world unite!
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2007, 03:48:46 PM »
Jon,

I've only seen the aji dulce chiles for sale from one small farmer in Oregon.  I have done a little investigation, and there are plenty of seed sources for them if you run a quick websearch.

I personally love the aji dulces.  One of my favorite breakfasts is a bagel with my habanero cream cheese, and now I can pack tons of habanero flavor in there without making it inedibly hot.

Offline TronCarter

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2007, 04:21:34 PM »
Wow, some of those suggestions sound good, and others (Spam) sound not so good. 

I am wondering at what point is a pizza no longer a pizza?  When is it just a crust with food on the top?   Just because you wrap something in a tortilla does not necessarily make it a burrito, but try telling that to McDonalds.

Offline trosenberg

• Burning Desire for Pizza
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2007, 07:59:40 PM »
Nothing strange about it but; goat cheese, good pitted oil cured black olives, marinated artichoke hearts, fresh thyme.
Also FRESH clams, and make the white clam pie in Reinhart's 'American Pie.' It is a winner. Taste %100 better if you dig your own clams!
Trosenberg

Offline creampuff

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2007, 09:17:32 PM »
Nothing strange about it but; goat cheese, good pitted oil cured black olives, marinated artichoke hearts, fresh thyme.
Also FRESH clams, and make the white clam pie in Reinhart's 'American Pie.' It is a winner. Taste %100 better if you dig your own clams!
It's a winner

Offline jerry bark

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2008, 04:28:57 PM »
the worst pizza i ever ate was at a dive pizza joint in of all places Beijing!

the crust was passable, but the sauce and the cheese were not related to real pizza toppings. every one in our group groaned at how BAD this place was. our tour guide thought she was doing us a favor by letting us get some "american food"  that day.

However they did serve one pizza that magically worked: Squid! the squid just tasted great with the rest of their ingredients, don;t know why but this one was good.

cheers
jerry

Offline nirc

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2008, 08:54:58 PM »
I don't know if this qualifies as a strange topping, but I enjoy putting (chopped up) falafel balls on my pizza. :D

Enjoy
Eli

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2008, 02:27:13 PM »
I have been wanting to make a pizza using chicken livers. I tried searching the internet for a recipe for chicken liver pizza but couldn't find even a single reference to such a pizza. I'm thinking of sauteed chicken livers with sauteed mushrooms, onions, garlic, dried thyme, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, and/or other light-colored cheese(s), all in some kind of white sauce, maybe with a bit of sherry.

Now that would be something NEW!   Please take pix for us to drool or ponder over!
Il miglior fabbro

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2008, 02:44:08 PM »
Now that would be something NEW!   Please take pix for us to drool or ponder over!

Jon,

Thanks for the reminder. I am in the middle of a crispy and cracker-style pizza kick at the moment but when I am done I think I will try the chicken liver pizza. I will post photos if the pizza turns out well.

Peter

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2008, 02:56:49 PM »
Jon,

Thanks for the reminder. I am in the middle of a crispy and cracker-style pizza kick at the moment but when I am done I think I will try the chicken liver pizza. I will post photos if the pizza turns out well.

Peter

Awesome, i´m sure they´ll turn out fine.  Then you can make a Pizza Foie Gras, with fresh truffle slices added before serving (imagine that)!

I´ve been fine tuning a neapolitan dough for the last year or so using Varasano´s recipe as a platform, but I always add a little VWG because flour in Brasil doesn´t get any higher than 10% protein.  For the first time in a long time I made 5 "NY" doughs, and I´m thinking of toppings, ah the endless possibilities.

As far as strange toppings, I made a cream sauce using full fat milk, cream, butter and...pureed chipotle peppers!!!  This was the sauce base, it had a nice salmon color and a little bit of heat.  On top of that went thin potato slices, then a little mozz, bits of fried bacon, roasted red bell peppers and caramalized red onion rings.  Once out out of the forno I dropped on spoonfuls of THICK yogurt (more like sour cream), and liberally sprinkled cilantro leaves.  FLAVOR FLAVOR FLAVOR!  The contrast of hot and cold, crisp and soft, salty and sweet & spicy and tangy worked.
Il miglior fabbro