Author Topic: strange toppings anyone?  (Read 15217 times)

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: strange toppings anyone?
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2008, 11:08:11 PM »
Okay, everyone, I need a topping that's blue.  It would be nice if it weren't too strange, like blue corn for instance.  I'm in the process of illustrating a collection of Olympic related pizza art and I need a topping for the top left ring of the logo.  I'm looking to have one illustration be of only toppings arranged so that they resemble the rings.  The red and green rings are pretty easy to imagine with a multitude of possibilities, so I'll have a bigger problem just trying to decide what I want to use among all the choices.  The yellow ring I'm envisioning a slice of a yellow bell pepper or pepperoncini.  I'm leaning towards the yellow bell pepper since its hue is closer to the original.  If someone has something even more iconic that I'm just not thinking of, feel free to mention it.  The black will most likely be black olive.

Attached are a couple so far.  These are really "throw-away" drawings as I didn't spend much time on them.  The topping illustration with the yet unknown blue topping will have much more detail.  Hopefully I can finish it before the Olympic Games begin.

- red.november
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 11:11:00 PM by November »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2008, 11:17:56 PM »
I guess you could use Blue Heirloom potatoes.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2008, 07:53:40 PM »
Have you considered a blueberry desert pie?  Or blue cheese and something? All I got -marc

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2008, 08:10:28 PM »
Have you considered a blueberry desert pie?  Or blue cheese and something? All I got -marc

Those are good suggestions.  I thought of blue cheese before posting, but I didn't think there was enough blue.  It's still mainly white which might not come across.  About an hour and a half ago I was on the phone with a friend who suggested blueberry.  I don't know if he was thinking dessert or if it was just the first thing that came to him, but in any case it's a good option.  It certainly isn't iconic for pizza, but of the dessert toppings out there, blueberry has got to be one of the most popular, maybe even second behind apple.  I think to reenforce the idea that they're for a dessert pizza (if I indeed use blueberry), I'll show a scant drizzle of icing over them.  I'll make the decision this weekend when I start on that ring.

- red.november

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2008, 08:19:48 PM »
Blue M & M's

PNW

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2008, 01:49:02 AM »
RN,

If you go Blueberry, you could puree some of them, add a little bit of sugar and fold them together with some freshly whipped up cream, which I think will give it a nice color, and then top the dessert pie with some fresh BB's.

Just a thought.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2008, 12:05:34 PM »
Blue M & M's

Well now, that's just cheating.  And in the vein of cheating, I forgot to mention that in the conversation I had with my friend I brought up a more mythical topping: Paul Bunyan's Babe the Blue Ox in sausage form.  That raises the question of how many different kinds of meats have people used in making sausage for pizza.

Offline anton-luigi

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2008, 02:54:14 PM »
Sauerkraut, I can't believe no one has mentioned it. It's great. One of my favorites is sauerkraut, sausage, onion and bacon, it rocks. And that chicken liver thing sounds awfully good to me. Just made a big batch of liver and onions a couple weeks ago with fried potatoes, collard greens and homemade bread on the side...mmmmm
There is a local pizzeria up here in Northern Minnesota that has,  as one of its specialty pizzas,    sausage,  pepper cheese and sauerkraut,  it is phenomenal. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 02:56:07 PM by anton-luigi »

pizzapan