Author Topic: Was it the flour or did I do something wrong?  (Read 1564 times)

Offline CLP

Was it the flour or did I do something wrong?
« on: February 25, 2009, 06:52:51 PM »
I just tried making the thin/cracker crust using the pizza inn recepie found here.   I used Italian 00 flour since I don't have access to the flour I've seen mentioned here.

The crust did not get brown enough and was still a bit doughy...I got it pretty thin mabye not thin  enough, but it was really really hard to get it rolled out.   I left the pizza in longer trying to brown the crust but just didn't happen.   

I've made other pizza crusts without a problem...so I'm wondering if I did something wrong or if the flour makes that much of a difference.

CLP

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Was it the flour or did I do something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:16:38 PM »
CLP,

You used the wrong flour. 00 flour is a low protein flour and will not develop color in a home oven. As to the problem with rolling out the dough, you need to apply heat to the dough. You can read about that method at Reply 16 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.msg49138.html#msg49138 and in later posts in the same thread.

Peter

Offline CLP

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 07:22:21 PM »

Ah...ok so I guess I'll have to order some of that Caputo flour online, thanks for the info!

Cheryl

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 07:39:48 PM »

Ah...ok so I guess I'll have to order some of that Caputo flour online, thanks for the info!

Cheryl,

I'm not sure I understand your reply. You don't want to use any brand of 00 flour to make a cracker-style pizza if you are looking for color. I use bread flour for that style, with the Gold Medal Better for Bread flour (sometimes sold as Harvest King flour) being the bread flour that I like to use for that style. Others prefer to use all-purpose flour or high-gluten flour.

Peter

Offline CLP

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 09:01:10 PM »
I've seen people here talking about using that speciality flour (Caputo) for pizzas...is it not good for all pizza types?

Cheryl

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 09:14:35 PM »
I've seen people here talking about using that speciality flour (Caputo) for pizzas...is it not good for all pizza types?

Cheryl,

The Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour is intended to be used to make Neapolitan-style pizza dough to make pizzas that are to be baked in very high temperature ovens that can deliver temperatures up to 800 degrees F and higher. The Caputo 00 flours are not well adapted to use with standard home ovens. But, as with all flours, people will try to use them for all kinds of doughs, and for all kinds of applications, even though they may be poor choices, or at least not the best choices.

Peter

Offline CLP

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 06:32:47 AM »
Hmmm interesting, so bread flour would be better for cracker type bread.   I'll try that next time!  I won't worry about getting Caputo flour.   I either make thin or a Neapolitan style when I make pizza, and I use the 00 for the Neapolitan style.  I have a really good dough recepie from Emeril's show for that one.

Thanks!

Cheryl

pizzapan