Author Topic: newbie questions for neapolitan pie  (Read 971 times)

Offline lucil

newbie questions for neapolitan pie
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:28:13 AM »
I am trying to make a neapolitan pizza at home using limited resources and materials that i have.
Is it possible to hand knead the dough, also i can only get hold of AP flour and IDY yeast. I will also use an electric oven to bake the pies, maybe i will use the blumenthal method in baking it, dont really know how to set my oven to cleaning mode..
Where can i find the recipes in making the pizza using the above give materials..
Im also getting confused in using the preferment calculator on this website, how should the preferment be expressed??
Would greatly appreciate any help... im juz tryin to see if my pie tastes anything like the neapolitan pie i tasted somewhere else before...
also im working in a humid and warm environment, would it be better to do a cold rise or room temp rise??
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 11:35:46 AM by lucil »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: newbie questions for neapolitan pie
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »
lucil,

Based on your situation as you described it, for a recipe to try, you might start with Peter Reinhart's Napoletan pizza dough as appears at http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/176897_chou09.html. You will note that hand kneading instructions are given in addition to the use of a stand mixer. You will also see that the recipe discusses both room temperature rise and cold fermentation options.

Unless you are planning to use a natural starter, I wouldn't worry about the preferment dough calculating tool. You should first concentrate on developing your knowledge and skills making regular doughs.

I also think that it is far too early for you to be messing around with your oven. First try the recipe as suggested and then decide how you want to proceed.

Peter

pizzapan