Author Topic: Parkview Pizza in Naperville  (Read 2027 times)

Offline AZRP

Parkview Pizza in Naperville
« on: February 27, 2009, 10:47:28 AM »
I know I'm showing my age here, but this was the pizza I grew up with and have been trying to duplicate it for years.  It had a thin crust with a lot of big bubbles coming up through the toppings.  I was just wondering if there was anyone here that remembers it.  -RP

Offline jhorace

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Parkview Pizza in Naperville
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 11:01:53 AM »
This post is old, but if you are still there...... WOW! I thought I was the only one. I too grew up on Parkview and have spent lots of time trying to recreate it. I have some great results I could share with a fellow Parkview nostalgic!! If you are still there, send me a reply.

John

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 11:56:09 AM »
Well, he's not here, but we are!   :D

I've never had the pizza in question, but I'd love to learn more.

Post pix!  Recipe!  Please!   :chef: :pizza: :drool:

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 07:47:56 PM »
Me too!!! :drool:

Offline jhorace

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
Well, first a bit of history.

There is a place called Al's in Warrenville Il -- just north of Naperville in the Western Subs. Al's has been there since the 50's and has the distinction of being the FIRST pizza place to open up in the suburbs anywhere outside of Chicago. Its an institution to be sure. Still there and very old-school. None of the chairs or tables match, you order your pie and sit down, take a soda from the fridge on the honor system. They bring the pie out to you and you pay on the honor system on the way out! The sausage is made to a special recipe by the same vendor that has been doing it for over 50 years! To make it just perfect, the sister of the owner (both daughters of the original founder from the 50's) owns a bar that occupies the other half of the building and is connected by a door. You go to the bar to bring your beer in with the pizza or take your pizza into the bar.

Parkview, on the other hand was started by a couple rogue employees from Al's who took the secret recipe and left to start their own shop in Naperville in the 60's. Actually, in my opinion, that was the better of the two, but they closed up shop in the early 80's. There are still a few of us "old schoolers" from ancient Naperville that remember it, but it truly was amazing pizza. Al's is still there today, and a very close second, but not 100% on target. They too had chairs that didn't match, tables that wobbled...... and the real treat  as a kid -- they showed Laurel and Hardy movies constantly running in the dining area! Obviously dont have any pics of Parkview, but below are a few slices of Al's from a recent visit. Sorry, forgot to snap a picture of the whole pie!!! That browning of the cheese, the brown crispy crust, and the specially made sausage.... to die for!!

John

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 10:45:18 AM »
That is awesome, John.   8)

I love hearing stories of old pizza restaurants and families and the experiences that were had back in the day.  That to me is what is so special about pizza: it is not just a food, it is an experience to be shared, especially with family.  Some of my fondest memories as a boy were having pizza with my family, extended family, and friends.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 11:38:29 PM »
oh man…i miss the old places like that!  and that pizza looks awesome!!  sweet home chicago….suburbs…...
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

pizzapan