Author Topic: DKM Thin Crust 5.8 oz water using bread flour  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
DKM Thin Crust 5.8 oz water using bread flour
« on: January 27, 2005, 05:24:31 PM »
Okay here we go.  This is DKMís Pizza Inn type Thin Crust recipe from pizzamaking.com using bread flour instead of AP and using Steveís recommended 5.8 oz of water.  I used a KitchenAid mixer and dough hook per DKMís instructions.  Steve says use a food processor
The consistency was very meal coarse ground cornmeal, which was a surprise from my last try that used 6 oz of water.  That two-tenths of an once of water made a big difference.
Now the long twenty-four-hour wait.
 ::)
Randy

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
Re: DKM Thin Crust 5.8 oz water using bread flour
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 02:23:58 PM »
DKM.  Did you make your thin crust dough?

Randy

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 07:45:10 PM »
This was interesting.† The 5.8oz dough was much harder to roll out than the 6.0 oz of water dough ball.† Look at the bubbles in the crust, they are much better than the AP flour version.† But then there is a But involved this test.† I also raised the rack level as Steve noted to one above the bottom.† I think this had more to do with it than the amount of water used BUT I donít know that for sure.† DKM uses the middle rack and that may be why his AP flour version works for him.

Anyway, the pizza taste is great but I think the 6.0 oz version had a better flavor but it was not as crisp.
Next time it will be bread flour 6 oz water and the middle rack and maybe some honey thrown in.

This was par baked for 4 minutes then baked at 500 for 7 minutes.

The first picture is par baked with the sauce added but no cheese yet.

Randy
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 07:48:41 PM by Randy »

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 07:51:52 PM »
hmm, interesting, those little puffed areas almost look like I coud press them and they would break like a "fortune cookie ", they look very crisp....
how was the fat content in the recipe ? was it really high ?

anyway I guess I should read the first part of the post to see, but yeah that looks more like a pie shell....
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 07:55:50 PM »
3 1/2 teaspoons of oil. but this is very dry.
It is DKM's Pizza Inn style thin crust.
Cracker like crunch.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizzainnstyle.php

Randy

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 08:08:49 PM »
Hi Randy,

thanks for the link, I will want to try this out just to see what I get .

Ok the oil is not enough to make a "pie like "crust, there just isn't enough oil, hmm, it's intesting though,
as the dough didn't blow up at all really where you crimped with your fingers..... so maybe it's because of the
yeast....  ( or that it didn't really get going ) .... well I'm no expert but that is what I would say..... if the yeast were really going
and you crimped the dough, even 5 mins sitting there while you dressed the pie would start puffing those edges up.... if you notice in the images,
your indentations are still really vivid in the dough.....

anyway how did it taste ? was it good ? .... I want to try this now :-)

Mark

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 07:11:40 AM »
Mark,  the crust bubbles that makes the edge look like a fluted apple pie, is a result of the very low amounts of water.  Steve took DKMís recipe and tested several variations of water quantities.
The over night rise on the counter gives this pizza crust an excellent flavor.  I used 5.8oz 90F water.  Next time I will try 5.9 oz@ 90F.  This recipe really changes with each tenth of an oz of water.

Randy
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 08:01:58 AM by Randy »

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 07:57:06 AM »
I made another PITC (Pizza Inn Thin Crust) over the weekend using the same recipe and ended up with another perfect pie (IMHO). It really does help to use percise measurements by weight.  :D  This makes four PITCs for me over the last several weeks and each one has turned out exactly the same!  ;) And the four minute par-bake makes all the difference in the world!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 05:19:57 PM »
Steve, how hard is it to roll out the thin crust using High gluten flour?
I assume you are still using DKM's recipe with the exception of using KASL flour.
Randy

I made another PITC (Pizza Inn Thin Crust) over the weekend using the same recipe and ended up with another perfect pie (IMHO). It really does help to use percise measurements by weight.† :D† This makes four PITCs for me over the last several weeks and each one has turned out exactly the same!† ;) And the four minute par-bake makes all the difference in the world!

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 12:01:22 AM »
Not too tough. I use a large metal rolling pin. I can have the dough flattened in about 5 minutes tops.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.