Author Topic: bottom done before top  (Read 400 times)

Offline mattdiskin

• I Love Pizza!
bottom done before top
« on: April 17, 2016, 03:26:45 PM »
It's a pizza night in Cruso!

I got some Park and Grande provolone my mom sent me from the Pennsylvania Macaroni Company in Pittsburgh and I am pumped.

If someone else knows another thread on this exact topic...let me know although I couldn't find quite what I was looking for...

Last time I baked the bottom of my pies were done, but I was hoping for a little more doneness on the top.  I bake at 550 degrees on a pizza steel that is on the middle rack.  I have a pizza stone on the top rack above it.  They took 4-5 minutes to cook, great oven spring, but the top could have used more time.

After some reading, I'm thinking I might try the steel on the bottom of the oven, cook for ~3 minutes, then move the pie to a stone on the top of the oven.  Any other suggestions?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: bottom done before top
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 03:30:03 PM »
Moving the steel down probably won't change your bottom bake speed, but it's likely to slow the top bake even further. You might try moving it up instead. I'd try it without the top stone and just get it as high as possible in the oven where you still have enough room to work. The black top of your oven will likely work better than a light colored stone.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 03:52:01 PM »
Moving the steel down probably won't change your bottom bake speed, but it's likely to slow the top bake even further. You might try moving it up instead. I'd try it without the top stone and just get it as high as possible in the oven where you still have enough room to work. The black top of your oven will likely work better than a light colored stone.

The other thing moving it up will do for you is to provide the opportunity to use the broiler - should you need to do so.

Last time I made a NY Style pie in my oven, I used a piece of soapstone for my pizza stone.  Although is not steel, it is very conductive and my bottom was baking much faster than the top.  I turned on the broiler on for a couple of minutes and that worked well.   I had a 4-5 minute bake that was pretty even.  I did have to turn the pie 180 in during the process to even it out front/back.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline mattdiskin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 06:20:48 PM »
Thanks for the hints!

I never tried that broiler method before, and that is an excellent tool.  I still need to practice with timing a little, but cooking on the top rack with a little broiler action definitely improved my pizzas.  I made two last night...first one a little under done, the second a little over done, but the second one had an excellent flavor on the cornicione, despite a little char.

Matt

Offline pdog

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 07:33:03 PM »
Another thing that can help is to cook the pie on the steel for 2-3 minutes and then put a pizza screen under the pie to back another 2-3 minutes.  The screen will stop the burn of the bottom.

This is the way I do it now.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 08:22:57 PM »
It's a pizza night in Cruso!

I got some Park and Grande provolone my mom sent me from the Pennsylvania Macaroni Company in Pittsburgh and I am pumped.

If someone else knows another thread on this exact topic...let me know although I couldn't find quite what I was looking for...

Last time I baked the bottom of my pies were done, but I was hoping for a little more doneness on the top.  I bake at 550 degrees on a pizza steel that is on the middle rack.  I have a pizza stone on the top rack above it.  They took 4-5 minutes to cook, great oven spring, but the top could have used more time.

After some reading, I'm thinking I might try the steel on the bottom of the oven, cook for ~3 minutes, then move the pie to a stone on the top of the oven.  Any other suggestions?

bruh man look.
Raise that steel to the top rack, launch, wait 45 secs then press broiler and cook away.

make sure to rotate your pie.

If you don't do this it won't come out right.

Even at the very top rack, without broiler, you will yield a under baked top. I did that myself on my first steel bake.

My 2nd steel bake, I ended up with one end of the pie charred and the other under cooked, I didn't rotate.

To long Didn't Read

Raise steel to very top
broil
Rotate for even cooking

Online jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 08:29:41 PM »
bruh man look.
Raise that steel to the top rack, launch, wait 45 secs then press broiler and cook away.

make sure to rotate your pie.

If you don't do this it won't come out right.

Even at the very top rack, without broiler, you will yield a under baked top. I did that myself on my first steel bake.

My 2nd steel bake, I ended up with one end of the pie charred and the other under cooked, I didn't rotate.

To long Didn't Read

Raise steel to very top
broil
Rotate for even cooking

Minolta, are you using a convection feature on your oven, or just standard bake?  (before the broiler action)
Jeff

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 10:23:58 PM »
Minolta, are you using a convection feature on your oven, or just standard bake?  (before the broiler action)
My even does not have convection.

Offline stormholloway

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 01:05:00 AM »
Move your stone up and use the broiler, for sure. My problem has been overdoing the top because I underestimate the power of my broiler. Try the broiler mid-bake or later as a precaution.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 01:09:07 AM »
Interesting opinions all around in this thread.

I have never understood the appeal, hype or superior functionality of a steel surface for baking versus a great stone. I have experimented with steel quite some time ago and the outcome was something left to be desired. Much to be desired, as a matter of fact. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing steel it just didn't do it for me.

With that said, Craig produces great-looking pies with his steel bake.

However, I think his outcome also relies on a complete understanding how his individual oven works, heats and bakes and I am sure he knows every single nick and crevice of his oven like the back of his hand.

I think there lies most of problems some of our members here encounter when it comes to baking on a steel surface. Just like with stone, one stone or two, you need get to know your oven in an intimate way,...the same way you got to know your wife/husband/GF/BF/FB, etc, and you became aware of what makes them tick and learned about their "features".

If you do not know how your oven performs, or know its different features (Sabbath Mode is a great one, btw) don't expect the outcome you are picturing or imagining in your mind to be mind-blowing.

Once you know your oven, start with your preferred baking surface and then tailor your dough to it.

Anything else, imo, is speculation.
Mike

“I talked to a calzone for fifteen minutes last night before I realized it was just an introverted pizza. I wish all my acquaintances were so tasty.”  - Jarod Kintz

Offline keylime73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 10:14:10 AM »
Any other suggestions?

Remove the stone and move the steel up a rack and bake as normal.

Or

My usual method lately is to use a steel in the middle and a stone at the top, and launch on the stone the second the broiler begins to glow.  I've timed this out, to know exactly when, and my oven fully preheated takes about 40 seconds before the broiler coils start glowing after I've pressed the button.  I use a stopwatch app on my ipad when actually baking to know just when to launch.

Let it get done rising under the broiler-- about a minute--and then switch down to the steel and put the oven back on max reg temp bake.  (don't forget this last part)

Broiler for the initial spring is where it's at imo.

Sometimes, once the hour preheat is up, I use the broiler to preheat the stone to 650ish.  There is a cooldown time, though, before the broiler will start again as expected for the launch.  This is superior but a little more time-consuming.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:22:08 AM by keylime73 »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 10:18:57 AM »
I think there lies most of problems some of our members here encounter when it comes to baking on a steel surface. Just like with stone, one stone or two, you need get to know your oven in an intimate way,...the same way you got to know your wife/husband/GF/BF/FB, etc, and you became aware of what makes them tick and learned about their "features".

Mike, I think you are largely right. Just like the dough, if you simply try to imitate someone else's method, you are not particularly likely to duplicate their results.  There are so many variables that change from person to person, you generally have to experiment and make many tweaks across the entire process to make the pie you want to make.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 12:46:49 PM »
Mike, I think you are largely right. Just like the dough, if you simply try to imitate someone else's method, you are not particularly likely to duplicate their results.  There are so many variables that change from person to person, you generally have to experiment and make many tweaks across the entire process to make the pie you want to make.

Totally agree.
Mike

“I talked to a calzone for fifteen minutes last night before I realized it was just an introverted pizza. I wish all my acquaintances were so tasty.”  - Jarod Kintz

wordpress