Author Topic: More flavour in dough  (Read 75184 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: More flavour in dough
« Reply #1725 on: July 22, 2015, 04:15:50 PM »
The temperature of the prep fridge did keep falling until Tuesday morning.  The dough balls were fermented a little more than wanted but they opened okay all day.  Some dough balls were taken out of the prep fridge when the photo was taken, and some where in the other cooler.  I did use the dough mold for some of the dough balls.  The dough mold is a good tool for me when the weather gets hotter.  Somehow the dough mold can get the bubbles of fermentation aligned right to be able to open the further along advanced fermented dough balls better.  I am no longer embarrassed to use it when needed.  The temperatures of the prep fridge varies during the day on Tuesday.  The highest temperature the prep fridge got to (in hot temperatures at market) was 39 degrees F. 

A chef from the Hamilton Club of Lancaster came to try the boardwalk style of pizza yesterday from the advice of another chef that works at the Hamilton Club.  If anyone is interested in what the Hamilton Club of Lancaster is these are some links. http://www.hamiltonclub.org/index.cfm?ID=427 and http://www.hamiltonclub.org/home  Their menus.

http://www.hamiltonclub.org/images/sitepicts/_thumbs/Steinman%20Lunch%20no%20prices%20woyster%20stew.pdf

http://www.hamiltonclub.org/images/sitepicts/_thumbs/Steinman%202014%20Fall%20no%20price.pdf

http://www.hamiltonclub.org/images/sitepicts/_thumbs/buck%20bar%20fall%20menu%202014%20no%20prices.pdf

http://www.hamiltonclub.org/images/sitepicts/_thumbs/The%20Tower%20Fall%202014%20no%20price.pdf

The chef that came yesterday really liked the boardwalk style of pizza.  He told me they also make pizza at the Hamilton Club which I didn't know.  Since the Hamilton Club is for rich professionals and their guests I have never been there.  I heard they have very good food.  The chef and I had a interesting conversation about pizzas and other foods.  I had to laugh when I asked about the bake chef at the Hamilton club and if he tells recipes about what kind of breads he bakes there.  The man told me the bake chef keeps it a secret about the special sourdough he uses for his breads.  The man said the bake chef and him have plans to open a pizzeria in Lancaster.  I asked what kind of pizzas are they going to make if they open a pizzeria.  He told me they want to use a WFO and also a brick oven to make pizzas.  I told him if they want to make real Neapolitan pizzas to look here on the forum at Craig's pizzas and all he has shared about them.  There are no real Neapolitan pizzerias in Lancaster right now.

As a side note about the Hamilton Club Eleanor Roosevelt declined an invite to speak at the Hamilton Club a long time ago because of their discriminatory practices. Of course she was portrayed as being ungrateful rather than principled.  Times sure have changed since then and that is good.  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1726 on: July 27, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »
Last Tuesday I forgot to freeze two leftover Detroit style dough balls.  On Friday I saw them in the deli cooler.  They had risen a lot and I thought I would then freeze them.  I forgot them again.  Today they were still in the cooler.  I inspected them and although they had deflated, they still had strength in the dough and some bubbles when they were pressed on.  They smelled good, so one dough ball was incorporated into each of the two batches of dough, along with some partially frozen boardwalk style dough balls.  The boardwalk style dough batches didn't seem to change.

Norma

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
More flavour in dough
« Reply #1727 on: July 28, 2015, 05:39:35 AM »
Does adding old dough to new usually change the texture for you? I thought the main reason to do so was to change the flavor profile and to use it as leaven -- a pre-ferment. In your case it likely won't add touch of the latter. It may result in a more acidic dough overall than you want since it fermented for so long. .

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1728 on: July 28, 2015, 06:45:45 AM »
Does adding old dough to new usually change the texture for you? I thought the main reason to do so was to change the flavor profile and to use it as leaven -- a pre-ferment. In your case it likely won't add touch of the latter. It may result in a more acidic dough overall than you want since it fermented for so long. .

David,

Sometimes adding old dough does change the texture of the dough for me.  It all depends on how many partially frozen dough balls are added to a new batch of dough.  I would think (but really don't know), that when the dough balls are partially defrosted the ice crystals might add some more water to the dough batch.  I added 6 partially defrosted boardwalk style doughs to one batch of dough, plus the one Detroit style dough.  The other batch had 5 partially defrosted boardwalk style doughs added, along with the other Detroit style dough.  The first batch of dough was more sticky than my normal boardwalk style doughs.  I used some flour on the bench to ball that batch.  For the second batch the dough was less sticky, but there was a tiny amount of flour used to ball those dough balls.  I don't think the batches of dough will get too acidic from the added Detroit style dough because the batches of dough were for 17 dough balls, plus the partially frozen doughs. 

I can notice when adding old dough the flavor does get better.  I also think the amount dough balls I am adding isn't recommended by Tom Lehmann.  I add to many.  It is hard this time of the year to know how many dough balls to make for each Tuesday when it is hotter in our area.  The past two weeks I am off in deciding how many dough balls to make. 

Norma

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
« Reply #1729 on: July 28, 2015, 07:01:42 AM »
I would reuse as much as possible regardless of what may be theoretically called for.  Certainly stickiness can come from over fermented dough as I well know. I wonder if using over fermented old dough just adds stickiness to the bigger batch?

The ice crystals likely came from moisture released from the dough so he overall hydration probably wasn't impacted by much.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1730 on: July 28, 2015, 09:32:57 PM »
I would reuse as much as possible regardless of what may be theoretically called for.  Certainly stickiness can come from over fermented dough as I well know. I wonder if using over fermented old dough just adds stickiness to the bigger batch?

The ice crystals likely came from moisture released from the dough so he overall hydration probably wasn't impacted by much.

David,

Peter posted at Reply 954 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30641.msg351163#msg351163 the percent of scrap/old dough Tom Lehmann recommends to add.  I really don't know if the small 9.5 oz. Detroit style dough added more stickiness.  I know when adding partially defrosted boardwalk style doughs to a new batch sometimes the batch of dough is stickier.  The partially frozen boardwalk style dough balls ferment for a little over a day before they are then frozen. 

Thanks for telling me you don't think the hydration if impacted much from the ice crystals.

Who knows what happened, but the dough balls were easier to work with today and did make good pizzas.

Norma

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1731 on: July 28, 2015, 09:55:35 PM »
With this heat, I'd imagine any ice crystals you had in your booth could only help :) 

Were you busy even in the sweltering July steambath that was today?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1732 on: July 28, 2015, 10:00:19 PM »
With this heat, I'd imagine any ice crystals you had in your booth could only help :) 

Were you busy even in the sweltering July steambath that was today?

Lol Bill!  It was a steambath today with the high humidity and heat.  :-D I think it was about 96 degrees F in the stand.  I wasn't as busy as when the weather is cooler, but I didn't sit down anytime today.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1733 on: July 29, 2015, 07:17:44 AM »
A few of the pizzas (made yesterday morning), from the doughs that had the Detroit style dough and the partially defrosted boardwalk style doughs added.  The rim crust browned good and most of them had an eggshell like rim crust.  The bottom crusts browned good.  The dough skins had good bubbles of fermentation.  When the weather is so hot at market usually there are only about 6 or less dough balls sitting out to warm up at a time.  There were some blistering of some of the rim crusts.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1734 on: July 29, 2015, 07:19:23 AM »
Norma

Offline jvp123

• Learning and loving it!
« Reply #1735 on: July 29, 2015, 11:58:52 AM »
Lookin' great Norma!  :D
Jeff

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1736 on: July 29, 2015, 12:26:39 PM »
Lookin' great Norma!  :D

Thanks Jeff!  I am going to try the same things next week to see if the same results can be achieved.  If I would not have used flour to ball the first batch of dough I think my dough balls would have been too slack to work with.  I am not too sure about the second batch because I used less flour to ball.

Norma