Author Topic: More flavour in dough  (Read 62240 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: More flavour in dough
« Reply #1650 on: May 20, 2015, 02:17:49 PM »
Norma,

Since I saw nothing out of line with all of the numbers, the first question I was going to ask you if you confirmed the numbers was if you made more dough balls the past two weeks. I think you put your finger on the problem. That is good because you want to solve that problem before it really gets hot at market as summer approaches.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1651 on: May 20, 2015, 03:12:39 PM »
Norma,

Since I saw nothing out of line with all of the numbers, the first question I was going to ask you if you confirmed the numbers was if you made more dough balls the past two weeks. I think you put your finger on the problem. That is good because you want to solve that problem before it really gets hot at market as summer approaches.

Peter

Peter,

I don't really know how I will solve that problem before summer comes without having the prep fridge or deli case freeze up again.  I don't want to lower the yeast amount much more to lose flavor in the crust.  I do think I have to purchase another small scale for market though to make sure I use the right yeast amount.  I watched on Monday and the top of the prep fridge kept the right temperatures but the bottom of the prep fridge struggled to keep the right temperature when cooling all of those dough balls down.  I think since the first batch of dough was put on the top shelf that is why it cooled down faster.  I have always noticed that in the past too.  The bottom shelf always ferments dough faster.  I think that is because there in no circulation underneath those dough balls.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline rparker

• Pizza....good! No pizza.... Bad!!!!
« Reply #1652 on: May 21, 2015, 12:05:20 AM »
Norma, is there room in the fridges where the dough has been getting over-fermented to stash a few bottles of ice in with the warm dough?  I know one should not have to. Emergencies happen, though.

roy
Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1653 on: May 21, 2015, 08:19:56 AM »
Norma, is there room in the fridges where the dough has been getting over-fermented to stash a few bottles of ice in with the warm dough?  I know one should not have to. Emergencies happen, though.

roy

Roy,

There is not any room to stash a few bottles of ice in with the warm doughs when the bottom is filled with dough balls.  Walter also mentioned about the same possibility to me in a PM.  I appreciate you trying to help with the doughs!  :) I really don't know but the stand next to me might not be there for a really long time anymore.  The lady that owns that stand has been having a lot of heart problems.  She is in here 80's so I don't know what will happen.  If additional space becomes available I will like to get a stand up fridge to put in a part of that stand so I wouldn't have so many problems with my doughs. 

Norma

Offline orangeman1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1654 on: May 21, 2015, 03:25:43 PM »
Tom (orangeman1) came to visit me today.  He was on his way back to Chicago after going to NYC.  It was a pleasure to meet Tom!  We had a lot of fun talking about pizza and other things related to pizzas. The dough balls from the second and third batch of dough yesterday were overblown this morning almost as soon as they were removed from the prep fridge.  I had to use the dough mold again, as did Tom when he made two pizzas.  Sorry Tom that the dough balls had to be so hard to handle.  They were even worse than last week, except after the dough mold was used.  The first batch of dough that was used later on in the day could be opened normally without the dough mold.

The last 4 photos are of the dough balls were from the first batch of dough made yesterday.  It can be seen they were not blown out.  I am more confused than ever that the first batch of dough was normal and the other two batches weren't. 

Norma

Norma, It was such a wonderful experience to finally get to meet you in person! I enjoyed every minute and the time just flew by. Thanks so much for the  visit!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1655 on: May 21, 2015, 05:52:40 PM »
Norma, It was such a wonderful experience to finally get to meet you in person! I enjoyed every minute and the time just flew by. Thanks so much for the  visit!

Tom,

I am glad you enjoyed your visit.  Sorry about the rough opening dough balls.  :-[

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1656 on: May 23, 2015, 11:47:52 AM »
I had ordered 3 new small scales this week after the small scale broke.  They came this morning.  I was having problems the last two weeks with overblown dough balls.  Two scales are for market and one scale is for home use.  I also purchased a calibration set so maybe I will see if the scales are accurate in weight.

While cleaning and restocking at market yesterday the prep fridge was turned on so I might see how well it kept temperatures.  If seems like somehow the temperature dial must have been moved some because the bottom of the prep fridge didn't go down to the temperature I wanted it to.  I then turned the dial and the temperature then came down in the bottom of the prep fridge.  Before I left market the plug was pulled and the temperature in the bottom of the fridge stayed constant for hr.  I know it is not good to just pull the plug on a fridge but the temperature dial is way in back of the shelves and it is hard to get to.

Hopefully this coming Tuesday things go better.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1657 on: Yesterday at 08:39:41 PM »
There were 4 batches of dough that the final dough temperatures were taken today.  The last batch was a Detroit style dough.  I would have thought the final dough temperature for the Detroit style dough batch would have been higher than the boardwalk style dough batches because of the rest period and mixes on speed two. 

The yeast for the boardwalk style doughs and the Detroit style dough batches were weighed on the small scale.  The first IDY was also weighed on the larger scale.  It looks like it didn't matter which scale was used for the IDY. 

Some of the other photos show how soft the dough becomes when it sits on the bench a little.  It also stretches not long after being mixed.  Some of the photos shows oiled bagged dough balls, oiled dough balls, and one dough ball that was not oiled.

Three videos were taken of the Hobart mixing the dough if anyone is interested.  The mixer is on speed one.  The first video shows the mixing of water, flour, IDY, sugar and salt.  The second video is after the oil is added to the dough.  The third video is almost when the dough is finished mixing.   

Norm

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1658 on: Yesterday at 08:44:39 PM »
Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1659 on: Yesterday at 09:06:45 PM »
There were 4 batches of dough that the final dough temperatures were taken today.  The last batch was a Detroit style dough.  I would have thought the final dough temperature for the Detroit style dough batch would have been higher than the boardwalk style dough batches because of the rest period and mixes on speed two. 
Norma
Norma,

In a couple of your photos, you show the thermometer in what looks to be only flour, with temperatures of 69.8 degrees F and 61.7 degrees F. Is that correct and, if so, did you keep your flour at room temperature before making the dough batches? Also, in the case of the Detroit style dough, what rest period are you using?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1660 on: Yesterday at 09:51:43 PM »
Norma,

In a couple of your photos, you show the thermometer in what looks to be only flour, with temperatures of 69.8 degrees F and 61.7 degrees F. Is that correct and, if so, did you keep your flour at room temperature before making the dough batches? Also, in the case of the Detroit style dough, what rest period are you using?

Peter

Peter,

The thermometer was only in dough batches.  When a big dough batch is pulled out of the mixer it looks kind of shabby when first put on the bench but really isn't if it is looked at in the mixer.  The first thermometer reading was for the first dough batch that was made today (69.8 degrees F).  The 67.1 degree F thermometer temperature was for the Detroit style dough batch.  I did use the flour at room temperature today but used cold water to mix the dough batches.  For the Detroit style dough it is mixed on speeds 1 and 2 then rested for about 4 minutes.  It is then mixed on speed 2 until it looks mixed enough.  The second mix might be about 2 minutes or a little longer. 

Norma

pizzapan