Author Topic: NY Style Size  (Read 742 times)

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO project
NY Style Size
« on: March 31, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
Can someone please give me the general target of size and dough weight for a traditional NY style pie? I'm currently makeing 14" pies with a dough weight of 375g and I would like to start makeing pies in a more traditional size and thickness/weight. Thanks in advance!

Offline jkb

Re: NY Style Size
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 07:50:23 PM »
Whole pies are typically 18".  Pies for slices are usually 20".  Thickness factor averages 0.075.  That's about 665 g for a 20" pie.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:58:32 PM by jkb »

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO project
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 09:11:01 AM »
Thanks JKB!

Offline JD

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 09:17:38 AM »
Whole pies are typically 18".  Pies for slices are usually 20".  Thickness factor averages 0.075.  That's about 665 g for a 20" pie.

0.075 is really thin, I would say that's the low end instead of average. Average is probably closer to 0.080 - 0.085 depending on where in NY you are.

Offline jkb

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 05:34:53 AM »
0.075 is really thin, I would say that's the low end instead of average. Average is probably closer to 0.080 - 0.085 depending on where in NY you are.

I only included the good places in that average :-D

Offline JD

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 08:12:24 AM »

I only included the good places in that average :-D

How dare you  :D

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO project
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 01:24:53 PM »
Backward engineering my current recipe into the dough calculator I have figured out that my pies are currently in the .087 thickness when I'm making my current size which is around 14".  I am now going to try making a 18" pie.  When I run my recipe through the calculator to get a 18" pie, I end up with a dough weight of 627g, so I guess I'm fairly close currently to a traditional thickness and now going to try to get stretching to 18". 

My current wood peel won't accommodate a pie that large so I bought a slotted metal peel that has been challenging me, I've spent many years with my wood peel with no problems. The you tube videos show the pie completely made on a floured surface and you grab the edge and shove the peel under quickly, it sometimes turns into a calzone when I do that. Maybe I should make the pie on the metal peel like I do when using my wood peel?

Offline gfgman

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 10:16:33 AM »
If your metal peel is slotted in the way I'm thinking, you should be fine to make the pie directly on it.  I've wanted to do a slotted wood peel, but I don't know that I've ever seen one. 
I used a regular metal peel for awhile.  The problem was that with the smoothness of the peel, unless you used an excessive amount of flour, the pizza skin acted like a suction cup and wouldn't move. 

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO project
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 10:49:01 PM »
I think the idea of the slots is to slide your pie back and forth and try to loose the excess flour? Not positive.

Offline gfgman

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 11:46:50 AM »
I think the idea of the slots is to slide your pie back and forth and try to loose the excess flour? Not positive.
I looked at pictures of slotted peels.  Not what I was thinking.  I guess I'm thinking of a grooved peel, where you would have something like 16th of an inch grooves, with a 16th of an inch between each groove.  The grooves would run in the same direction as the handle.  You would have plenty of support for the skin, but 50% less direct contact. 

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO project
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 02:28:30 PM »
This is the peel I have.

Offline gfgman

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 10:16:12 AM »
That's a nice looking peel.  I would think that would be pretty lightweight and easy to work with. 
I have a wood one similar to what's pictured below, and I really like it.  I use it for rotating my pies, and taking them out.  It's not big enough to prep on.  I tried to get a larger size, but the 16" peel did not have a true 16" prep surface.  I would have had to get a much larger one.  Compared to the one I have, the quality of the wood on the larger ones was garbage, and they were all warped.  Many of them, the wood was still wet.  I ended up getting a more expensive American Metalcraft wood peel.  The quality is superb, but it's so stinkin heavy.  I can work with it now, but I'm still on the hunt for something that is lightweight.  I prefer wood, but I'm open to other materials.   

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO project
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 10:55:58 AM »
My current wood peel won't accommodate a pie that large so I bought a slotted metal peel that has been challenging me, I've spent many years with my wood peel with no problems. The you tube videos show the pie completely made on a floured surface and you grab the edge and shove the peel under quickly, it sometimes turns into a calzone when I do that. Maybe I should make the pie on the metal peel like I do when using my wood peel?

The metal peel I showed in the picture is made extremely well and would highly recommend it if I can get better at using it. The problem I'm having with it is I have been making pizza for years directly on my wood peel, this new metal says to make your pie right on a flowered surface and slide the metal peel under when finished making the pie. I've had trouble often getting it under without damaging the pizza doing that technique. My next thought is to try making it right on the metal peel and get it moving prior to launch like I do with my wood peel.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 11:05:00 AM »
The metal peel I showed in the picture is made extremely well and would highly recommend it if I can get better at using it. The problem I'm having with it is I have been making pizza for years directly on my wood peel, this new metal says to make your pie right on a flowered surface and slide the metal peel under when finished making the pie. I've had trouble often getting it under without damaging the pizza doing that technique. My next thought is to try making it right on the metal peel and get it moving prior to launch like I do with my wood peel.
hodgey1,

Metal peels tend to be used to make pizzas on the small side with minimal toppings, such as Neapolitan style pizzas that can be assembled on a smooth work surface and slid onto the metal peel. Alternatively, some are able to slide the metal peel under the dressed pizza. Professionals who make the NY style do not use metal peels in that way. That would be risky because NY style pizzas are large and often contain a lot of cheese and topping. They use wood peels. Many also use metal peels but only for moving the pizzas around in the oven and to remove the baked pizzas from the oven.

Peter

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO project
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 11:16:51 AM »
Metal peels tend to be used to make pizzas on the small side with minimal toppings, such as Neapolitan style pizzas that can be assembled on a smooth work surface and slid onto the metal peel. Alternatively, some are able to slide the metal peel under the dressed pizza. Professionals who make the NY style do not use metal peels in that way. That would be risky because NY style pizzas are large and often contain a lot of cheese and topping. They use wood peels. Many also use metal peels but only for moving the pizzas around in the oven and to remove the baked pizzas from the oven.

Peter

I was affraid of that. I should have stuck with the wood concept like i've done for years. If you ever get a chance, the mfg of the peel I have shows on youtube sliding it directly under finished large pie but must be a huge learning curve.

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO project
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 12:18:39 PM »
I was affraid of that. I should have stuck with the wood concept like i've done for years. If you ever get a chance, the mfg of the peel I have shows on youtube sliding it directly under finished large pie but must be a huge learning curve.

Here is the link to the video I mentioned showing the use of the peel.

pizzapan