Author Topic: What are some popular cheese blends Pizzerias use for NY style pizza?  (Read 593 times)

Offline Chef Manardee

Looking to make a few pies this Friday for myself and some friends. Would like to know what are the popular blends for this style. :)

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Mozzarella and maybe a bit of parmesan or romano.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:58:01 PM by TXCraig1 »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
I like about 10% sharp white cheddar and 10% asiago.  That said, I'm also content with just Saputo Premium Gold mozz.  Great taste and perfect melt.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
It's really subjective, but I was a kid in the NYC area in the early 70s, and I think those were the final years that most of the pizzerias were still Italian and all made very similar and very good pizza.  I've managed to recapture my own memory of the flavor with either the cryopacked fresh mozzarella like Belgioso (or as an alternative whole-milk Polly-O) mixed with a dusting of freshly grated reggiano and pecorino romano.  A big pinch of oregano sprinkled over the pie before baking makes it taste like NYC to me.  But in this arena opinions and experiences may vary.
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
Here is a link to a thread on DiFara's pizza's.  There is quite a discussion on the cheeses that he uses.  My read of the thread puts it at 3 total. It might give you a place to start.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=504.msg349930#msg349930

Offline clarkth

• I Love Pizza!
I like to use low moisture whole milk mozzarella with some grated parmesan for NYC style

Offline Chef Manardee

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm getting some good ideas going.  >:D

I actually just picked up a shredded blend of Parmesan/Romano/Asiago, I think I'll try that on the pies Friday. Should I put the blend on at the same time as the mozz, or after the pizza bakes?

Online David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
Pretty sure mozzarella, cheddar and Reggio parmigiano are used in some spots.

Offline balakap

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
small dusting of romano and whole milk mozzarella

Offline Chef Manardee

small dusting of romano and whole milk mozzarella

Got it, but at what point in the process does the Romano go on? Same time as the mozz?

Offline balakap

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Right before the mozzarella. Don't overdo the moz either. Less is more

Offline Chef Manardee

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. :)

Offline clarkth

• I Love Pizza!
Right before the mozzarella. Don't overdo the moz either. Less is more

Less is definitely more.  I find that I use less and less cheese the more pizzas I make

Offline gfgman

Agreed, less is more.  A local shop that I really like has a sauce with a strong flavor and a nice tang.  But it is also a fairly wet sauce.  They don't use a lot of cheese, and I think that helps the sauce breathe.  I find with my pies, that if I use too much cheese, I can end up with soupy cheese because the water in the sauce gets trapped and doesn't steam off. 
For my tastes, I find that Sorrento/Galbani mozz with a bit of Frigo Parm wedge is spot on.  I haven't tried other brands of parm wedges, but grating it fresh is definitely better than anything I've ever tried from a bag.  Frigo is very cheap at $2.44 for a 5 ounce wedge. 

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
These photos were copied from a facebook page of a popular pizzeria in NJ.  It can been seen how thin the sauce is and how nice the cheese melts in the oven.  The mound of flour does not seem to make a difference in opening the doughs.  I am going to use these photos when I have time to try to make this kind of pizza again.

Norma

Online David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
That is a crazy amount of sauce compared to what I use.  One of these days I am going to try more sauce and see how it works for me.

Offline Chef Manardee

That's about how much sauce I put on my pizzas, but then again I love the sauce. :)

Offline balakap

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
I don't use that much sauce either and I definitely don't roll it out

Offline gfgman

I love the sauce as well.  I might be able to get away with that amount of sauce, but certainly anything more than that will turn the cheese into soup.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
IMO, this is how to do it.

"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
This video was when I was fairly new to making pizzas.  I used a blend of two mozzarellas.  One was Foremost Farms mozzarella low-moisture skim mozzarella and the other was Bella Fran whole milk mozzarella.  I make mostly tomato pies now on a NY style dough and the cheese and saucing have changed.  My sauce is not as thick at back then. 

Norma

pizzapan