Author Topic: Re: Pizza Town Clone  (Read 17047 times)

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Town Clone
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2016, 07:02:30 PM »

We are going to have to start calling you two the crunch brothers   ;D

There would be no argument from me on that moniker. 

But Chau is the big brother when it comes to the crunch.   I haven't gotten close to that result yet.

Offline communist

« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2016, 08:39:49 PM »
Nice crunch Chau!  Love Pizza Town!  I think they use Grande Mozzarella- it really holds up to intense heat - when I used Polly O  I got some cheese burn similar to yours.   I bet you did not use Grande

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2016, 09:24:36 PM »

Dough formula?  Egg whites?

Con Agra Full Power 100%
HR 54%
CY 0.4%
Salt 2%
C. oil 3%
egg white 10%
LDMP 1%

This was a 12 hour dough  at most 60-62F.  I was purposefully testing a dry dough to see how that would aid in crispiness.  Bake at around 700F on the floor for 4m30s.  Rested a few minutes and reheated for 2m.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2016, 09:31:38 PM »
Nice crunch Chau!  Love Pizza Town!  I think they use Grande Mozzarella- it really holds up to intense heat - when I used Polly O  I got some cheese burn similar to yours.   I bet you did not use Grande

It wouldn't surprise me if they did use Grande Mark.  I can't source it out here so I will just use what I can bet locally.  The 2nd pie I use a half fresh mozz and the melt was better. 

BTW Ponzu, I forgot to mention, the slices still cracked and crunch even after sitting for 10-15 minutes on the plate. 

Chau

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2016, 10:00:02 PM »
That crunch is sweet music. Most impressive!    :chef:

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2016, 12:04:18 AM »
Do you whip the egg whites at all before incorporating? Doing so could up the air incorporated into the dough bigtime.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2016, 12:43:03 AM »
Do you whip the egg whites at all before incorporating? Doing so could up the air incorporated into the dough bigtime.

I don't.  Are you thinking to soft or stiff peaks?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2016, 09:04:08 AM »
I don't.  Are you thinking to soft or stiff peaks?

I don't know. I was seeing stiff in my mind, but it would be interesting to try both and see if there is a difference. I was wondering if adding them early enough that the could be incorporated somewhat gently - kind of like a souffle that gets a lot more flour in the end. I'm wondering if it might have two effects, 1) incorporating additional air - somewhat overcoming the KA mixer shortfall as compared to a fork mixer, for example, and 2) adding massive numbers of the tiny bubbles that ultimately form the crumb. To my knowledge, it's never been tried.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2016, 05:17:16 PM »
Pizza Town doesn't use egg whites. Think you can get the texture without the egg whites?

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2016, 05:21:13 PM »
Pizza Town doesn't use egg whites. Think you can get the texture without the egg whites?

Of course, but how do u know they don't use egg whites?  :-D

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2016, 11:51:41 AM »
They couldn't sell slices for that price if they used egg whites  :angel: It wouldn't be financially viable

Of course, but how do u know they don't use egg whites?  :-D

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2016, 01:59:41 PM »
If you buy egg whites in 6/5# frozen or 15/2# fresh, they are well under $1.50/lb.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2016, 02:03:39 PM »
You can also buy powdered egg whites in bulk, which would probably work just fine.  It's just another ingredient Lou.   I have always used 10% egg whites, but even at 5% it would make a meaningful difference.  I would only use it commercially if I really felt it was absolutely necessary in getting the quality of crust that I want. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:10:01 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline communist

« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2016, 01:59:22 PM »
Pizza Town is New York thin at its best.   Very simple, high heat bake.  Quality mozzarella, simple sauce, high gluten crust.   Hotsawce is correct.   Just got off the phone with Bruce - no egg white in crust.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2016, 02:18:42 PM »
I didn't think they did.  Just saying it's not that far fetched of an idea to use it in pizza dough or a commercial setting.   ;)

Offline the1mu

« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2016, 08:47:33 AM »
I was purposefully testing a dry dough to see how that would aid in crispiness.  Bake at around 700F on the floor for 4m30s. 

What are your observations regarding the lower hydration and crispness? Did the crumb suffer at all?

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2016, 10:57:29 AM »
I may have to roadtrip for this pie today...

Pizza Town is New York thin at its best.   Very simple, high heat bake.  Quality mozzarella, simple sauce, high gluten crust.   Hotsawce is correct.   Just got off the phone with Bruce - no egg white in crust.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2016, 11:42:14 AM »
I may have to roadtrip for this pie today...

You should.  Get a fresh pie and have Bruce bake it 5-6 min.  Or order few slices and have them retoast them if you like that crunch.   :drool:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:33:01 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2016, 12:36:48 PM »
What are your observations regarding the lower hydration and crispness? Did the crumb suffer at all?

Crispiness is an elusive characteristics.  It depends on many factors not just how low or high of a hydration.  It has to be balanced with gluten development and a well proofed dough.  Then baked long enough to get the moisture out. 

The crumb won't be too dry if that is your concern b/c of the oil or fat in the dough.  Use at least 2% oil or crisco to keep the crumb from drying out.  If you're going with a lower hydration dough, then don't over mix the dough trying to develop the gluten strength or the crumb may toughen up a bit.  It's better to build the strength through S&Fs or reballing.

Offline the1mu

« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2016, 08:38:35 PM »
Crispiness is an elusive characteristics.  It depends on many factors not just how low or high of a hydration.  It has to be balanced with gluten development and a well proofed dough.  Then baked long enough to get the moisture out. 

The crumb won't be too dry if that is your concern b/c of the oil or fat in the dough.  Use at least 2% oil or crisco to keep the crumb from drying out.  If you're going with a lower hydration dough, then don't over mix the dough trying to develop the gluten strength or the crumb may toughen up a bit.  It's better to build the strength through S&Fs or reballing.

Of course! I think I was just trying to feel out some observations from you since you specifically mentioned the low hydration.

So if all other factors were equal, how much does hydration affect the crunch?

I was thinking of trying a batch of day 56% (at 59% now), so thanks for the mixing tips! I probably would of mixed the hell out of it trying to develop the gluten!

wordpress