Author Topic: Cold fermented dough for the first time (pepperoni and shrooms)  (Read 398 times)

Offline Jbravo

First time I've gone for full cold fermentation. The pizza balls rested in the fridge for approx 2.5 days. The result came out pretty decent.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Cold fermented dough for the first time (pepperoni and shrooms)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 07:42:55 PM »
That's a great lookin' pizza! :)
Can you share the details of how you made it?
Tom Lehmann/The dough Doctor

Offline zwarbles

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 07:44:26 PM »
Looks fantastic!! :drool:
Pat

Online rparker

• Pizza....good! No pizza.... Bad!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 09:42:09 PM »
Looks mighty tasty.  :chef:
Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline Jbravo

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 06:10:14 AM »
 Thanks guys!

The dough recipe is roughly based on Chau's NY pizza dough recipe. For 4 pies I used:

500 grams of baking flour
 340 grams of water
 1.5 teaspoons of salt
 2 teaspoons of sugar
 1 teaspoon of IDY
 2 teaspoons of olive oil

The dough was kneaded manually for about 5 minutes. Then it rested for about 7 minutes and after that it was kneaded for another 10 minutes or so. Then I divided the dough into 4 parts and balled each of them. The balls rested in the room temperature for about 10 minutes and were placed in individual container (sprinkled with oil). I covered the containers with food wrap and put them in the fridge. Before baking the dough rested in the room temperature for about 2 hours while my oven was heating up. One hour prior to baking I placed my cast iron skillet into the oven (closer to the upper heating element) to heat it up nicely. The pizza was baked below the upper heating element in 8 minutes (4 minutes broiling regime, 4 minutes regular regime). I used pre-cooked sauce (I made it using fresh tomatoes, Pomi, salt, sugar, pepper and oregano) and rather than spreading it on the dough (below the toppings) I sprinkled it on top in order to avoid excessive moistening of the dough as well as burning of the toppings.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 12:30:00 PM by Jbravo »

Online theppgcowboy

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 08:56:50 PM »
Looks like you did very well, how was your impression on the taste.  My only criticism that I would suggest is that you are mixing weights and volumes.  You may want to get a small scale so you you can measure your salt, yeast and sometimes your oil.  Then you will have it so you can really dial it in.  The scales are rather cheap.  Otherwise looking good.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:58:31 PM by theppgcowboy »

Offline Jbravo

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 04:31:58 AM »
Theppgcowboy, thanks and duly  noted. Only since very recently I started using kitchen scales to weigh flour and water. Earlier I used a glass as a measuring unit. It is a good idea to get scales for measuring oil and yeast  too, as you have suggested.

As far as taste is concerned - I was satisfied. The flavor was deeper and more complex in comparison to a quick dough.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:33:58 AM by Jbravo »