Author Topic: Essen1's NY-style pizza project  (Read 106888 times)

Offline willsanquil

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Essen1's NY-style pizza project
« Reply #880 on: August 02, 2013, 08:30:09 PM »
After much deliberation and reading of Mikes thread and drooling at his pies over and over, I decided on two Recipes to try for a pizza party I'm throwing.  Each of these is for a 3x ball batch of 14" pie. I used a kitchen scale to get the amounts as close to perfect as possible.

Flour (100%) 798.22g
Water (60%) 478.93
ADY (.3%) 2.39g
Himalayan Pink Salt (2%) 15.96g
EVOO (2%) 15.96g
Organic Sugar (3%) 23.95g
Total(167.3%) 1335.43g
Single Ball 445.14g

Flour (100%) 785.31g
Water (64%) 502.6g
ADY (.3%) 2.36g
Himalayan Pink Salt (1.75%) 13.74g
EVOO (2%) 19.63g
Organic Sugar (1.5%) 11.78g
Total(170.05%) 1335.43g
Single Ball 445.14g

As I do not have a stand mixer I used a food processor and ziplock bags and the following mixing order:

Flour
Salt
Sugar

Pulse to combine, then add

Yeast

Pulse to combine, then turn processor on and add

oil + water

Leave on for ~1 minute, until dough turns into a ball and passes the windowpane test

Dough is then floured and worked into a ball and put into a large ziplock bag for 5 hours in the fridge and then divided into even balls and placed in their own smaller ziplock bags and back into the refrigerator.  I prepared 4 batches of dough:

#1 - all caputo flour, #33
#2 - 50/50 caputo/Gold Bread Flour, #33
#3 - all bread flour, #32
#4 - all caputo, #32

I prepared them on thursday night at ~10pm, then had to leave to do a show and got back at 3 am when I divided them into even balls. It is friday 4pm and I cooked 3 pizzas but I freaking forgot to see which balls I took out (their individual bags were labeled but in my haste I totally spaced it)

Let them sit for not even an hour before working them due to time limits.  They were each the best pizza I have ever made - each one topped the last.  The first two were a bit shy of the 14" I was aiming for due to me not having a good handle on stretching and cornicione technique.  However, the last one was just shy of the full 16" of my pizza screen.

The last one was...one of the best pizzas I have ever eaten.  I nailed the sauce, got my dough stretching technique down a bit more and topped it with the perfect amount of cheese.  It was foldable and thin and everything I want a NY pie to be - the thing I like the most about NY pies are the thin/foldable nature of the crust and the saltysweet tang of the mozz + sauce.

The sauce was super easy and very good - 2 tbsp of butter and 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pot with a bit of fresh basil and oregano, simmered for a minute then drop a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes (the brand is the same one that mike used in a post,can't remember which one off the top of my head) along with some salt and sugar.  Heat 5 minutes on low then take off heat and tweak salt/sugar before putting on pizza.

As far as baking, I preheated the oven at 500 for an hour with my pizza stone in it..and my new 16" pizza screen came in today, so I built the pies on that and slid them in with my wooden peel.  What was in the past a very frustrating endeavour (sliding the pizza onto the stone) is now super easy and enjoyable.  I got a very nice coloration on the bottom - just how I like it (forgive my blasphemy but I don't like black char on the bottom of my pizza) and I didn't have to use the broiler because the cheese was browned how I like it.  I put my stone in the middle of the oven.

I can't wait to see what these doughs taste like tomorrow at my pizza party once they've had more time to cold ferment.

Super happy that I can make NY style pizzas that live up to my standards without a proper oven and without a stand mixer!

Offline communist

« Reply #881 on: August 02, 2013, 08:53:59 PM »
Pies are looking very good!  The food processor is just as good as the Kitchen Aid mixer - some say it is even better.     
Mark

Offline AnonymousPizza

• I Am Pizza!
« Reply #882 on: August 10, 2014, 06:39:59 PM »
Sorry for bumping an old thread.

I did it though. Finally got to making my own pizza dough for the first time, and I used your (Essen1's) KABF recipe in the OP:
587 gr. Flour (100%)
370 gr. Water (63%)
9 gr. Sea salt (1.5%)
6 gr. Olive oil (1%)
2 gr. IDY (0.3%)
which, in volume and scaled, was roughly:
  • 2-1/3 cups KABF
  • 3/4 cups water
  • 1 tsp Morton Kosher Salt
  • 2/3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 3/4 tsp active dry yeast

So; tenth pizza I've made, ever; first one without pre-made dough; going for New Yorkish as I can get.

I'm really happy with it. My toppings still need a lot of work (those are $3 Safeway pepperonis on there) - but the crust...but...that crust. Best crust I've made yet. Maybe I'm biased because it's the first fresh dough I've used, but still, wow.

Well, that's for flavor at least.

I did burn it, though. The pizza was way too crispy to be recognized as NY style. The crust folded, but like a crackling, wilting leaf, not a fresh, moist slice. Honestly though, that's still saying something; all my other crusts could be mistaken for crackers, unless they were under cooked to the point that you could taste it.

So, I mixed this dough in a bread maker. Put it in the fridge right after, and it didn't see daylight for another 36 hours. At that point I set it out at room temp for about an hour, then slapped it; the 4th-ish time I've ever slapped a pizza. But even after that milestone moment, I basically scrunched the thing into a square to fit a pan. So ignore the weird shapes the pizza will take on in the pics. One important thing here though: the dough was dry and cracked all around the sides. It had formed a skin during its time in the fridge, on the exposed parts that weren't in contact with its bowl. I was actually worried the dough was too moist when I first mixed it, but it definitely dried over time. In the end, these cracks in the dough actually baked to make an interesting texture. But like I said, the crust was too crispy for NY.

I also bought a can of Cento San Marzano tomatoes for this. Poured them into a bowl and crushed them with my left hand because my right finger had a cut, and tomatoes can sting. Pulled out some strings and seeds, and that was my sauce.

I put the cheese on first, then spread the tomatoes; first time I've done that. Then I seasoned it, and then topped it: Safeway pepperonis and chunks of fresh mozzarella.

That's pretty much everything important. I baked this pizza on the metal pan that it was made on, on top of a piece of sandstone, surrounded by bricks, in a barbecue. I didn't really manage to get it that hot; the thermometer read around 400 Farenheit, and who knows whether the pan was a lot cooler or hotter. Maybe I'll post pics of that. You'll see them below if I'm not lazy. So that's important too.

That's it tho. Also, thanks Essen1 (Mike?).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:02:40 PM by AnonymousPizza »
I've come back for you, to remind you of something. Something you once knew.
That this world is not real.

Offline AnonymousPizza

• I Am Pizza!
« Reply #883 on: August 10, 2014, 06:58:25 PM »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #884 on: August 10, 2014, 07:32:43 PM »
Nice work there A.....you did real good for your first ever!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #885 on: August 10, 2014, 07:33:20 PM »
Do you feed that bunny corn bread?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline AnonymousPizza

• I Am Pizza!
« Reply #886 on: August 12, 2014, 08:02:18 AM »
Do you feed that bunny corn bread?

She's not my bunny. I'm sure she's been fed everything though, including cornbread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #887 on: August 12, 2014, 09:34:25 AM »
I like to feed rabbits cornbread. It makes the meat taste sweet. She looks tasty...
Pizza is not bread.

Online Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #888 on: August 12, 2014, 12:11:52 PM »
Anonymous Pizza,
Good job! I noticed you were baking on a cookie sheet.  Your crust looks good but my suggestion is, as you seem intent on doing iNY pizza right in your home oven, is to read Scott123's sticky on A36/Baking Steel.  If steel can fit in your budget your crust will improve significantly when using steel AOTBE.
Cheers,
Don
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:17:37 PM by Donjo911 »
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #889 on: August 12, 2014, 12:17:26 PM »
Anonymous Pizza,
Good job! I noticed you were baking on a cookie sheet.  Your crust looks good but my suggestion is, as you seem intent on doing iNY pizza right in your home oven, is to read Scott123's sticky on A36/Baking Steel.  If, steel can fit in your budget, your crust will improve significantly when using steel AOTBE.
Cheers,
Don
He`s on a bbq grill Don....baking steel no, no.  :)

Online Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #890 on: August 12, 2014, 12:18:50 PM »
He`s on a bbq grill Don....baking steel no, no.  :)
Oops! Nice catch CBob - sorry I did not see that.  You're right
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #891 on: August 12, 2014, 04:52:23 PM »
AP,

Good looking pies!

Personally, the best results I've had was when using a kiln shelf made from composite materials. Still use it today and it never fails for my applications.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #892 on: August 12, 2014, 05:19:45 PM »
AP,

Good looking pies!

Personally, the best results I've had was when using a kiln shelf made from composite materials. Still use it today and it never fails for my applications.
I just so happen to have 2 unused Axner 3/4in.thick by 20in round kiln shelfs....still in the bubble wrap and I don`t need them.  ;D

Offline AnonymousPizza

• I Am Pizza!
Essen1's NY-style pizza project
« Reply #893 on: August 12, 2014, 07:58:06 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. It helps a lot.

I just took another dough made from Essen's first stone buhr recipe out of the fridge. I'll post this pizza too.

AP,

Good looking pies!

That does sound good. Sandstone definitely isn't heat safe. Mine split down the middle already.

I just so happen to have 2 unused Axner 3/4in.thick by 20in round kiln shelfs....still in the bubble wrap and I don`t need them.  ;D

Oh my god...I'd pay for shipping plus 'handling' for those >_>
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:27:50 PM by AnonymousPizza »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #894 on: October 19, 2014, 12:52:12 PM »
Dough time!

Had my pizza guy order a 25lb bag of Pendelton's Power flour for me. Total cost: $10.38

Good stuff :)
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #895 on: October 19, 2014, 02:38:15 PM »
63% hydration, 10 minute knead. 20 minute bench rest before balling up.

That dough is smooth as silk.

Mike

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #896 on: October 19, 2014, 06:36:14 PM »
Looks good! I've become of 7/11s recently. Looking forward to seeing the results.
Chaz

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #897 on: October 20, 2014, 02:21:54 PM »
7/11s are great straight out of the can.

No need to mess with them a whole lot by adding spices and what not.
Mike

pizzapan