Hello folks. I haven't been around much the last few months.
And, I haven't made very many pizza's the last few months.
I have had some "extra time on my hands" lately, so I renewed my
effort to make some great N.Y.Style pizza's. I was reviewing my formulas
as well as reading this thread, and here is what I decided to use on my
*Flour/VWG (100%): 661.21 g | 23.32 oz | 1.46 lbs
Water (63%): 416.56 g | 14.69 oz | 0.92 lbs
IDY (.6%): 3.97 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.32 tsp | 0.44 tbsp
Salt (1.7%): 11.24 g | 0.4 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.01 tsp | 0.67 tbsp
Oil (1.5%): 9.92 g | 0.35 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.2 tsp | 0.73 tbsp
Sugar (.6%): 3.97 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1 tsp | 0.33 tbsp
Total (167.4%): 1106.87 g | 39.04 oz | 2.44 lbs | TF = 0.10605
Single Ball: 368.96 g | 13.01 oz | 0.81 lbs
* used a factor of 2.5% additional protein needed.
75% of Flour/VWG= 484gr flour + 12gr VWG = 496gr.
25% of Flour/VWG= 162gr flour + 4gr VWG = 166gr.
My process was as follows:
1. Add IDY + sugar + H2O(~95dgf).
2. Add 75% of flour/VWG, and use paddle (stir on KA) to mix until incorporated.
3. I used an autolyse of 30 minutes, covered in bowl.
4. Stir for 5 minutes, then add remaining 25% flour + salt + oil (oil added last,
drizzled down the side of the mixing bowl) and continue to mix at "1" speed for
and additional 5 minutes until it forms kneaded ball..
5. Rest dough an additional 30 minutes.
6. Hand knead 5 minutes.
7. Divide, refrig, and proof.
These doughs were kept at ~40dgf for ~50 hours. They were were taken out
of the refrig ~3.5 hours prior to forming/baking. The oven temp (I do not have
an intermal temp gauge) was set to jusy over 500dgf. My tiles (bottom rack of
oven) was just shy of 600dgf (multiple temp readings using Harbor Freight IR were
between 580dgf and 587dgf). Cook times for each pie were between 6:30 and 7:00
minutes. Cheese was a 50/50 combination of Cabot WM Mozzarella and Sargento 6
cheese. Sauce was 6in1's following November's Red Sauce #2 recipe.
Overall impression, dough was very easily stretched to reach ~13". Some air in dough,
but not a lot. I did not take dough temp prior to baking, but it had a 3.5 hour proof on
flour surface covered by plastic wrap prior to baking. It did not feel cold. Sauce is always
top notch, however, this batch seemed overly seasoned. Not sure if the tomato's being older
and maybe not as bright were not able to cover the spices as much. But sauce was still OK.
Additional topping were Baby Bella sliced mushrooms and Hormel pepperoni (I sliced from a stick)
on two of the pies. The third pie was half cheese and half mushroom.
Overall taste was fantastic. Sorry there was no pictures, I promise to take them for the next batch
of pies I plan to do this weekend. Crust had good spring, flavor was just ok. Bottom had
nice leapording, but upper rim of crust was less golden and more tan then I would have liked.
The dough also did not seemed to have distinct salty taste that I like. At 1.7%, I may try and
adjust that to a higher percentage. I will also make a new set of 6in1's for the next set of pies.
And finally, I will try and stop by a local cheese manufacrturer (Fiero's in Wilm. DE) and pickup a
Overall, the family loved these pies. I thought they were OK. Lot's of room for improvement.
Thanks for the good read Essen and everyone lese who contributed to this thread.