Author Topic: Mistreated Dough Turns Out Good  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Tbombs34

• I Love Pizza!
    • Pies in the Sky (a Pizza Blog)
Mistreated Dough Turns Out Good
« on: April 19, 2009, 09:46:31 PM »
The pizza in the pics below was made with one of the dough balls made in the batch described in the post titled "2nd Try NY Style" (sorry I can't post hyperlinks yet as a newbie).

After letting the dough balls described in that post ferment in the fridge for 3 days, I froze 3 of the 4 in freezer bags with a little bit of oil in them.  I had planned to make pizza last night, so I took one of the bags of dough out of the freezer around 10am and let it sit at room temperature all day.  Well, a baseball game (another Nationals loss) and cookout got in the way of pizza making, so I put the then-room temperature dough in the fridge at about 6pm. 

I took the dough out of the fridge today and let it come to room temp for about two hours (at which point it was very soft and had some large bubbles making it look like some of the over fermented dough I have seen in pics on this site).  After letting the stone and oven heat up at 550 for about an hour, I topped the pizza with a sauce of immersion-blended Red Pack tomatoes with some garlic mixed in, Bel Gioso fresh moz, red onions, portobellos for the wife and soppresatta for myself.  After baking for about 6 minutes, I had a very tasty pizza with just the right amount of chew.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Mistreated Dough Turns Out Good
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 10:07:06 PM »
Tbombs34,

Here is the link to your last thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8336.msg71915.html#msg71915. Now that you have five posts you should be able to post links in future posts.

That was an unusual treatment of the dough. I looked back at your dough preparation method and, if I had to guess, it was perhaps the small amount of IDY and its addition to the dough, along with the salt, at the back end of the dough preparation process rather than at the beginning that saved the day. That is a method that I have used before to make very long-lived doughs. However, I was more respectful of my doughs ;D.

Peter

Offline Tbombs34

• I Love Pizza!
    • Pies in the Sky (a Pizza Blog)
Re: Mistreated Dough Turns Out Good
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 09:01:25 AM »
Sometimes life gets in the way of pizza, unfortunately ;)!  Nonetheless, it was interesting to see that the dough turned out as good as it did given all of the stuff that I put it through!!

pizzapan