Author Topic: using culture for the first time to make pizza!  (Read 1799 times)

Offline koloa101

using culture for the first time to make pizza!
« on: March 07, 2009, 01:15:24 AM »
hi,
i am following directions on making my first sourdough from ed's book. i am starting off using a 'liquid culture'? basically taking 1/2C of my culture in the fridge and feeding it some water and flour and proofing it for 12hrs at 72 degrees. do i use the same method for using it for nyc style pizza? basically take 1/2 cup, culture add some water and flour, let proof...when its complete, put together the pizza dough using the preferment calculator?

thanks!

Offline Matthew

Re: using culture for the first time to make pizza!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 07:02:09 AM »
hi,
i am following directions on making my first sourdough from ed's book. i am starting off using a 'liquid culture'? basically taking 1/2C of my culture in the fridge and feeding it some water and flour and proofing it for 12hrs at 72 degrees. do i use the same method for using it for nyc style pizza? basically take 1/2 cup, culture add some water and flour, let proof...when its complete, put together the pizza dough using the preferment calculator?

thanks!

Hi K,
The starter proofing method is always the same regardless of what you're using it for.  The reason for proofing it is to ensure that it does its job properly, especially if it's your only leavening agent.  My proofing method is 80 deg for about 2.5-3 hours.  By that point, the volume has increased to the very top of my container & it is ready to go.  Your proofing method is fine, but you need to monitor it carefully to ensure that you haven't missed the peak period.  At a room temp proofing this is usually between the 8-12 hour mark.  You will know you missed the peak period if your culture appears flat.  Another indicator is track marks on the inside of the container which indicates the rising & falling layer of bubbles.

Good Luck.

Matt
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:09:57 AM by Matthew »

Offline koloa101

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 12:09:46 PM »
now i understand the track marks, thats a good idea. i made a sourdough bread over the weekend and i was surprise by the amount of volume this culture can make in such a short time. pretty cool. however, the sourdough bread wasnt much to my liking. different yeast cultures give off different taste correct? the calmaldi has some smell i am not too familiar with. its nutty sort of, difficult to explain. also, when you use natural culture, how much hydration and starter do you typically use?

thanks!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 06:57:15 PM »
now i understand the track marks, thats a good idea. i made a sourdough bread over the weekend and i was surprise by the amount of volume this culture can make in such a short time. pretty cool. however, the sourdough bread wasnt much to my liking. different yeast cultures give off different taste correct? the calmaldi has some smell i am not too familiar with. its nutty sort of, difficult to explain. also, when you use natural culture, how much hydration and starter do you typically use?

thanks!

My typical pizza dough is around 66% hydration & the amount of starter I use is equal to 5% of the total dough weight.

pizzapan