Author Topic: Crumbled Pepperoni  (Read 4298 times)

Offline jpevear

Crumbled Pepperoni
« on: March 09, 2009, 01:22:24 PM »
I've searched far and wide (on Google) on several occasions to find 'crumbled' pepperoni for purchase.  I worked at Sabatini's Pizza located in Exeter, PA for several years back in the mid-90's where they used this crumbled version of pepperoni sausage versus the traditional thin sliced.  It tasted like regular pepperoni but was a bit smokier...    It was fantastic. 

Has anybody ever had this style of pepperoni?  Does anybody know where I could buy it online?  This topping would be a great addition to my 'Sunday Night Pizza Night'

Thanks!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Crumbled Pepperoni
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 01:55:55 AM »
Yes, I have had this style of pepperoni at pizzerias around Pittsburgh, so maybe its a Pennsylvania thing.  I have come across crumbled pepperoni, but only in large 5 or 10 pound packs at wholesalers.  The good news is that it's very easy to duplicate this at home.  Go out and get yourself some good quality stick pepperoni, chop the stick in a few pieces, then put them in a food processor. I spin for 10-15 seconds and it comes out just like I remember from my youth. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:56:40 AM by scott r »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 03:36:07 AM »
Get any good peperoni, slice, dice or jullienne. I've done the jullienne many times and then fry in a skillet and drain off the excess grease on some paper towels. It really concentrates the flavors and gets a nice smokey bacon flavor. I actually like it better this way due in great part that it's not as greasy and you can use more without turning the pie into a grease bowl.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline jpevear

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 01:08:55 PM »
Thank you both for replying.  It seems the consensus is to manually chop it up myself.  And..   I will do just that.  ;D

How long do you suggest frying it for? 

Thanks for your tips.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:11:57 PM by jpevear »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 06:16:34 PM »
til the fat renders out and it gets nice and crispy, treat it like diced up bacon, which also is very good on pies by the way.
Jon

Offline jpevear

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 09:04:11 PM »
til the fat renders out and it gets nice and crispy, treat it like diced up bacon, which also is very good on pies by the way.
Jon

Makes sense!  Thanks Jon.  Now I need to find some pepperoni online.  Anyone have any suggestions? I assume Ezzo is a quality brand?

I appreciate your help.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 09:18:52 PM by jpevear »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 12:23:24 AM »
One other thing, do a slow render, not too hot or the spices in the pepperoni can burn and give an off taste. I think you'll like the results thugh. Even cheap pepperoni tastes better like this in my opinion.
Jon

Offline jpevear

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 07:43:29 AM »
One other thing, do a slow render, not too hot or the spices in the pepperoni can burn and give an off taste. I think you'll like the results thugh. Even cheap pepperoni tastes better like this in my opinion.
Jon

It truly is the best way to enjoy pepperoni on a pizza.  I'm surprised more people aren't eating it this way.  Thanks again.

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 06:31:48 PM »
I just throw a few chunks off my pepperoni stick in the food processor and let it rip. It makes a nice chopped pepperoni and I am starting to like it this way better because a little goes a long way and the flavor is spread across the whole pizza instead of isolated areas.  :P
- Rich

Offline BayGrrl

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 01:04:58 PM »
I've searched far and wide (on Google) on several occasions to find 'crumbled' pepperoni for purchase. Has anybody ever had this style of pepperoni?  Does anybody know where I could buy it online?

YES!!! I'm from Central Indiana, home of the Pizza King franchise. I've been away from that area for 14 years now so I'm assuming they still use crumbled pepperoni. I'm not sure if their pepperoni was fried first but it was really crisp, so maybe? I absolutely loved the way crumbled pepperoni distributes the flavor throughout the entire pizza, rather than getting a slice at a time!

I've lived in California since leaving Indiana and have tried a number of independent as well as local/Western pizza chains/franchises but have yet to find a pizza joint that uses crumbled pepperoni.

Here's the URL for the Pizza King I remember! pizzakinginc.com/html/indiana_locations.html (this site won't let me include a link or anything it sees as a link, so just add WWW in front of pizzakinginc. :-)

buceriasdon

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 04:39:01 PM »

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 10:20:54 PM »
jo-de pizza used to carry this, and supposedly gordon food service still does.   

Jo-De Pizza
117 Schnur Road
Butler, PA 16002-9249
Pittsburgh, PA Metro Area

Phone:
    (724) 283-2400

i would give them a call, they used to cater to sports venues such as 3 rivers and the mellon arena years back for their pizza needs, and Leah or Don have been there for quite some time (don is the owner and leah handles phones/orders) and more than likely know who carries it.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 07:20:37 AM »
YES!!! I'm from Central Indiana, home of the Pizza King franchise. I've been away from that area for 14 years now so I'm assuming they still use crumbled pepperoni. I'm not sure if their pepperoni was fried first but it was really crisp, so maybe? I absolutely loved the way crumbled pepperoni distributes the flavor throughout the entire pizza, rather than getting a slice at a time!

I've lived in California since leaving Indiana and have tried a number of independent as well as local/Western pizza chains/franchises but have yet to find a pizza joint that uses crumbled pepperoni.

Here's the URL for the Pizza King I remember! pizzakinginc.com/html/indiana_locations.html (this site won't let me include a link or anything it sees as a link, so just add WWW in front of pizzakinginc. :-)

The pizza king pepperoni is not fried.   There are a number of midwest pizzerias that do this, so it is available in that area by the case wholesale, but for home use just buy stick pepperoni and hit it with your food processor for a minute.   It comes out just like pizza king.   Good luck!