Author Topic: Caputo flour in Toronto  (Read 16104 times)

Offline jemal

Caputo flour in Toronto
« on: March 10, 2009, 05:52:07 PM »
Hello,

Is there a Caputo dealer in Toronto or GTA

Thank you
j

Offline Matthew

Re: Caputo flour in Toronto
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 06:24:37 AM »
Hello,

Is there a Caputo dealer in Toronto or GTA

Thank you
j

Your in luck my friend.  I have been looking forever & finally found one.  You can get it at MVR cash & carry, 425 Norfinch Dr.  They sell the 1kg bags of Antimo Caputo Pizza 00 for $1.50 each & 55 lb bags of 00 Pizzeria for around $50.

Matt

Offline jemal

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 03:11:33 PM »
Thanks man

Offline candal

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 06:16:35 PM »
I just went up there today, but with no success.  The store associates there told me that they no longer carry Caputo and haven't carried it for a few months now!  Does anyone know where else I can find this in the Toronto area?

Offline Matthew

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 07:21:11 PM »
I just went up there today, but with no success.  The store associates there told me that they no longer carry Caputo and haven't carried it for a few months now!  Does anyone know where else I can find this in the Toronto area?

Did you go to to restaurant supply or the retail store? I was just there last week & there was plenty.

Offline candal

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 07:47:50 PM »
Good question. There were two buildings. The one i went into looked like a mini costco super market. Many people were buying everything in bulk. In the alleyway, when facing the direction of the one way arrows, i went in on the left side. It had automatic sliding door.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 07:56:27 PM »
Good question. There were two buildings. The one i went into looked like a mini costco super market. Many people were buying everything in bulk. In the alleyway, when facing the direction of the one way arrows, i went in on the left side. It had automatic sliding door.

That's the right building.  I just spoke with the Canadian distributor for Caputo in BC & she told me that the buyer from MVR is no longer there & that he will be set up at his new place shortly.  I am going to speak with him on Monday to see what's going on.  When I went to MVR last week I saw quite a few of the red 1kg Chef's Flour bags but none of the 25 lb. bags.  Did you see those there?  There were on the middle shelf in the flour section.  I'll keep you posted.

Matt

Offline candal

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 08:02:50 PM »
Hey Matt, thanks for all the help. I arrived there at 4:50 pm, and they were getting ready to close. So i asked the girl at the cash for assistance. She then called someone and inquired to this person, who i assume was the stock boy. After, she told me that they stopped carrying it because it was too expensive and no one was buying it!  Cheers, Alan 

Offline Matthew

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 08:08:45 PM »
Hey Matt, thanks for all the help. I arrived there at 4:50 pm, and they were getting ready to close. So i asked the girl at the cash for assistance. She then called someone and inquired to this person, who i assume was the stock boy. After, she told me that they stopped carrying it because it was too expensive and no one was buying it!  Cheers, Alan 

Grande cheese carries Divella Tipo 00 Pizza flour, I've used it, it's quite similar to Caputo; you can give it a try.  What temperatures will you be cooking the pizza at?

Matt

Offline candal

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 08:24:43 PM »
Yeah, i've been using DiVella for the past little while, but i think there are better flours out there. I really want to try Caputo to see the difference. I'm cooking it on a pizza stone in my home oven, at 550 degF, convection setting.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 08:32:44 PM »
Yeah, i've been using DiVella for the past little while, but i think there are better flours out there. I really want to try Caputo to see the difference. I'm cooking it on a pizza stone in my home oven, at 550 degF, convection setting.

At that temperture you'll find the Caputo will yield similar results as Divella.  I'll report back on the Caputo once I find out what's going on.

Matt 

Offline candal

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 08:42:04 PM »
It sucks that my oven only goes up to 550. I'm tempted to throw a log in there lol. Anyhow, i'm cooking the pizzas for around 4 to 5 minutes with decent results. Very similar to The Standard on College St.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 07:04:20 AM »
It sucks that my oven only goes up to 550. I'm tempted to throw a log in there lol. Anyhow, i'm cooking the pizzas for around 4 to 5 minutes with decent results. Very similar to The Standard on College St.

I'm just in the process of finishing off my Wood Fired Oven & I have a dozen bags of caputo 1kg pizza flour that should keep me going for a while.  Hopefully by then I'll be able to get it.  Where are you located?  This past winter I had some really excellent results with a Hard Wheat Unbleached Bread Flour from a company called Grain Process Enterprise in Scarborough.  They sell wholesale, but have a little retail store in the front.  A good friend of mine teaches artisan bread baking & swears by it.   I've used it for a few months now & it's great.  Below is a photo of a typical pie I make using this flour in my home oven on a corderite shelf. My typical bake time is about 4-5 minutes with a stone temperature of about 630 degrees.  This dough is made from flour, spring water, salt & Ischia starter.

Matt
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 07:15:17 AM by Matthew »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 05:56:23 PM »
It took some work & quite a few phonecalls but I found the only current distributor for Caputo flour here in Ontario & also Quebec.

Avanti Global Foods
25 Links Road
Maple, Ontario
L6A1L5
Tel:416 802 4000

I spoke with Paul for quite some time & as it turns out he knows my wife's family very well through their supermarkets.  He carries the 25lb bags of Pizzeria flour for $29.  His business is wholesale.  He's presently out of stock but will have some in about 3 weeks.

Matthew

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 08:31:46 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline eliasalen

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 12:21:54 AM »
I can supply you with Caputo Flour, i have it in stock, call 416-903-5859.  I sell the bag for 25kg for 50 dollars, i also have the caputo for pasta flour, also for 50 dollars.  customer must pickup. 

Offline caputoofcanada

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 10:21:55 AM »
Caputo of Canada recently launched their website. they deliver anywhere in the GTA and some of the surrounding areas. check it out www.caputoofcanada.ca

Offline diffusing

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 06:18:33 PM »
fyi, Longo's in aurora carries the 1kg bag of caputo 00 pizza flour for $2.99.  I assume other Longo's do as well..

Offline mg3putt

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 11:29:06 AM »
An update to "diffusing"s post. I called the Longo's in Aurora and was informed they don't carry Caputo 00 flour. He suggested I try the Maple or Woodbridge locations. I called the Woodbridge location on Weston road and they had them in stock (picked up 5 - 1 kg bags this morning).

Mark

Offline diffusing

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 01:07:15 PM »
mg3putt, they had some (1kg bags) in stock 2 weeks ago, but in all fairness I bought the last 4 bags off the shelf when I was there, so its quite possible they are just out of stock right now.  I haven't been back since, but I have bought about 8 bags in total from there in the last month or so.  I'm heading that way in the next few days, i'll see if there are any on the shelf and let you know..  I'm tempted to think they have it called something else in their computer system maybe 'napoli antimo caputo 00'?  regardless, i'll let you know my findings next time I'm up there

I've been told MVR cash and carry in Toronto may carry the 25kg bag, but haven't had a chance to get over there yet.

Offline diffusing

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 03:39:46 PM »
Just got back from the Aurora Longos, the had lots in stock, only the 1kg bag though.. I bought 4, and there was probably 10 left..  $2.99 and on the receipt it says 'caputo 00 pizza flour'  the cashier commented that she had never seen it before and didn't know they carried it..

just a fyi