Author Topic: pizza ovens  (Read 1875 times)

Offline jemal

pizza ovens
« on: March 11, 2009, 05:34:32 PM »
Just joined this forum, and make pizza for a living. Noticed some posts asking about ovens for pro use and thought these two cents might help.

As a pizza maker I've worked with gas, wood and electric. You can get good pizza out of them all, you have to be sure to make a dough that works well in the oven you have. I make italian style pizza, thin and hand stretched. More Roman than Neapolitan I've been told (thinner and crisper). I cook pizza on the stone floor of the oven not in pans. I'm a good pizza maker but I'm sure there are better.

In my experience gas is the slowest, electric fast and wood complex. Wood doesn't turn on with a switch and then stay on exactly the same all night. You have to build and maintain a fire and be careful to move the pizza around so they cook evenly. Keeping the wood split in smaller pieces helps keep the heat consistent. The bigger the piece of wood the bigger the temp upswing when it starts to burn. God help you if all your wood is wet.

Electric ovens are better than gas. They cook faster, reheat quicker and have more ways to control the heat - top heat, bottom heat or both. They're the easiest to use and make great pizza. The first oven I worked on was gas. I prefer gas ovens with a thick stone floor, but once that stone gets cold it takes time to heat up again, which can be a problem in a busy place.

My favorites are electric and wood.

Hope that helps
J

Offline wannamakepizza

Re: pizza ovens
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 05:48:13 PM »
New to the pizza biz, actually just wanting to get started, want to start up an authentic neapliatian style rest with a wood burning oven, any recommendations on who makes the best unit, etc?

pizzapan